Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:16:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Guild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]  (Read 88172 times)
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »

Guild of Dungeoneering
Welcome, Guild Master! We have much to do. Our Guild Hall can be expanded... perhaps it is time for an Apothecary? So many recruits, and so few return from the depths. Ah yes, we found more in the tavern. Fresh faced with the promise of glory bright in their eyes. Poor fools! That damned crypt will claim them all. And yet, perhaps among them is a hero, one who will return victorious, one who will bring glory to the Guild!

Guild of Dungeoneering is a turn-based dungeon crawler with a twist: instead of controlling the hero you build the dungeon around him. Using cards drawn from your Guild decks you lay down rooms, monsters, traps and of course loot! Defeating monsters lets you place better items for your hero to use, but placing ever harder monsters is the only way to keep the Dread Meter in check. Let it get too high and Bad Things start to happen! Meanwhile your hero is making his own decisions on where to go and what to fight. But will he be strong enough to take on the dungeon's overlord?

More info:
Guild of Dungeoneering

Platforms:
At launch the game will be for sale on my site (and Steam). I intend to have a downloadable version for windows & mac, plus a web-playable free demo (flash). If the game turns out well I'll also publish it for ipad/android sometime after that. The game is built with AS3 and Flixel, and packaged into applications via AIR.

Launch Date:
Tentatively looking at mid-2015

Artist:
I'm working with a talented fellow called Fred Mangan for all the artwork.

Music:
I've got another talented fellow called Steve Gregan composing an original soundtrack for the game.

Press:
  • A very in depth interview with me about the game - ErraticGamer

Trailer:

Gameplay Video (5 min w/ commentary):

Latest screenshots:

How it looks in animated gif form

Keep in touch
If you like what you see subscribe to this devlog or like the game's facebook page. You can also reach me on twitter: @gambrinous or via email: [email protected]. I would love feedback or suggestions!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:04:22 AM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »

Update: Oct 6th.
Started with my Dungeon Delver game as a base and added a hero sprite who moved around as you explored.

Here's a work in progress shot of the hero added to the dungeon delver tile-laying framework.

(art is placeholder)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:28:36 AM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »

Update: October 13th

Today I broke away from the tile-laying system in Dungeon Delver, instead giving you a set of cards at the start of each turn. You will use these cards to place rooms, monsters, weapons and treasure in the dungeon.

I then added icons to the cards where appropriate and made it possible to click them and then place them in the dungeon.

Finally I made the hero move to a new valid space once per turn (once you finish laying down all your cards). He then fights any monsters and grabs any treasures that are in that space..

If you want to try out this game you can do so right here:
--> Guild of Dungeoneering <--

Obviously this is very early so expect some bugs. If you get to a point where you can't play all your cards (eg the bug with giving you rooms that don't fit your current map) you can hit 'x' to discard your hand (this won't be a feature in the finished version!). All feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:19:33 AM by gambrinous » Logged

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

subscribing to this devlog!
Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:13:53 AM »

I love this has a similar mechanic to board-games I like to play. For future ideas these games work well for a competitive multi-player. I don't know if your a fan of munchkin but lots of games allow the use of modifiers on cards to make things easier or more... interesting.
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:43 AM »

That's a really good idea actually. I'm just at the stage now (barely playable prototype) where I need to quickly refine this to 'find the fun'. In particular I need more interesting decisions - especially since I'm already taking away one of the biggest ones (hero movement). If this was multiplayer that would be a fantastic way to achieve it. You could lay down nasty monsters on the same tile as where they put some fancy treasure they wanted their hero to get etc.

For simplicity I think I want to avoid multiplayer (I am trying to finish this in October), but maybe I can do something along those lines. Eg, a rival guild that's also laying down tiles and has their own hero?

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »

Sounds good. I was suggesting if you wanted to make more out of this. You could implement it by giving an ai a deck of cards and say they draw half as many as the player does. They play a card when it is best to muck your game up (perhaps and a random timer so they just don't constantly ruin your day). For example player needs to level up places a monster the a.i. plays a buff monster etc... Even better to give it that board game feel perhaps personify the ai and give an indication (a smiling face?) if they have a particularly evil card in their hand... I think I am more re-counting my gaming nights more than anything else. Just placing the tiles looks like fun so just keep doing what you doing!
Zace66
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »

I love it.
I must admit I missed pressing X to clear hand... i must try that.
Is there a way to rotate the pieces?
It would be more interesting to have more pieces than cards though as I always end up putting the naff card in the space they just came from.
Cant wait to see what happens next.
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »

Updated the playable version to fix the small bug where you could get room/corridor options that didn't fit anywhere on your current map.

I'll be working on this a lot tomorrow so expect updates!

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »

Played this briefly.
I like the idea, however, the algorithm currently returns way too many ways not to be able to play beyond just a few turns... the end-result is that its hard to see how everything comes together.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:10 AM »

Thanks for trying it Orymus. I agree it's very rough right now. Hopefully it will come together in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone is interested in the sourcecode, it's all right here:
https://github.com/clarkin/Dungeoneering

Built with AS3 + Flixel

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 06:26:21 AM »

Not sure what your development priorities are in terms of getting this done, but I just wanted to point out that I feel there's a lot of un-seen quality in the product this far, hence why I underlined the importance of focusing on the 'tile' algorithm (determining which corridor pieces to give is the most crucial).

Keep up the good work!
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »

It's got a lot more character now that the hero talks about what he's doing:

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »

I have on my todo list to replace the placeholder art. I just want to talk about that for a minute. I'm using these room/corridor tiles with permission, but only as long as the project is non commercial. I'm also using pixelart sprites for hero/monsters/items from this tigsource assemblee entry, and again they are for noncommercial use. Everything else I've just hacked together myself.

I'm going to revisit this later in the project, and either replace things or get permission to use them commercially.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »

Update: Oct 20th

Ok got a lot of things done today.
- Speech bubbles when the hero is thinking
- Light hero AI. (only considers rooms right next to him right now)
- More cards. Just some more monsters/weapons/etc. Could go crazy here but need to think of my art requirements at some point (see post above)
- Better placing limitations. Now it highlights only viable spots. Auto-discards your hand and ends your turn if you pick an unplaceable card (will improve on this later).

--> Try it here (flash) <--
Feedback very much welcomed!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 04:19:50 AM by gambrinous » Logged

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

Works much better now, and I like the fancy quotes too.
It feels a bit bland though, but I see you'll be working on inventory of some kind so that the character shows some progress.

Question though: I see that the hero often goes in the dark corner to fight off monsters instead of grabbing nearby treasures.
Why would that be?
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:01 AM »

The hero AI is very, very basic right now. He looks at neighbouring rooms only, and if there's one with treasure in it he goes for that. Otherwise he picks a random one! (this will be improved later).

The next gameplay improvement I'm thinking about is to improve what you do each turn (choose cards to play). I'm thinking of giving you more choice each time, but with consequences. So for example there could be a monsters & traps deck, and an items & events deck. You can choose which deck to draw a card from, but you will want to balance the good & the bad slightly. I'm thinking of either a 'danger level' for the dungeon that goes up and up, but playing monster/trap cards lowers it slightly (so you want to keep it at bay), or perhaps link it to the hero eg an 'interest' bar where if you never play any monsters he decides the dungeon isn't good enough and leaves.

I also have a lot of ideas about improving individual cards to be more interesting. For example a room that is a monster lair, or treasure trove. Special boss monsters. Etc

jlauener
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 11:17:50 PM »

Really like the idea being this game. Already played a few of your builds  Smiley

The main issue is that it's very difficult to predict/understand what the hero is doing which is a bit frustrating. I think this is the first thing to fix before moving forward, otherwise the game is not going to be fun. Moreover the hero's AI will have a huge impact on the gameplay/card design.

What about having the hero perform an action each time a card is played?

Currently working on Whack-A-Dungeon (IndieDB / twitter)
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 01:10:11 AM »

Cheers for trying it out jlauener. I agree how the hero behaves right now is not interesting. I would like to give him a lot more 'intent' & goals. For example he could enter the dungeon with the goal to get 10 treasure, or instead to kill 10 monsters. I will be looking at this again quite soon. Interesting idea about moving more often too, thanks for that.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »

Artist wanted:
Just wanted to say I'm currently looking for a collaborator and/or paid artist for the game. Drop me a mail if you are interested: [email protected]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic