Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:52:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)flixel or flash punk
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: flixel or flash punk  (Read 10615 times)
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:05:23 AM »

can anyone tell me which one is more stable and easy to use flixel or flash punk. i'm into creating some platform games.

Thanks in advance

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:15:18 AM »

Never tried flash punk, so I recommend flixel, got some cool examples for platformer too
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:02:30 AM »

I much prefer FlashPunk, I think it's easier to use and the API is better.

FlashPunk is still young, so it isn't quite as stable as Flixel yet, but it's a great library.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:51:28 PM »

It's hard to say. Flixel is a more mature project, and is probably more stable. But I've heard that FlashPunk might be easier to use overall. They both seem to have some basic platforming templates that you could work from.

They are both open-source, so there are no real costs involved. Download a copy of FlashDevelop, download both Flixel and FlashPunk, try to get their demo projects working, and then just decide which one you like the best.
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:28 PM »

thanx for the suggestions guys.let me try flixel first.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »

I prefer FlashPunk because I like fixed-interval game loops and Chevy. But really it's mostly preference.

Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »

is there joints and motors in flixel?

Ashkin
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »

This is not LittleBigPlanet. This is AS3.
ChevyRay
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »

That's rude for "no".

It's not too difficult to build Box2D into Flixel or FlashPunk projects, which supports joints and other various physics and collision detection, so keep that in mind.

Also, I am the developer of FlashPunk. If you do end up using it, feel free to contact me via IM or Gmail if you've got any questions or need help with anything. Don't forget to check out mine and the developer of Flixel's co-project, Flash Game Dojo, which has a getting started page and also a bunch of resources and tips for using both libraries.

Cheers!
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »

I suggest you try them both.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:29:32 AM »

I suggest you try them both.

second that!
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 02:15:15 AM »

why both the engines are relying on sprite sheets? why not movieclips? Is there any way to use movieclips in any of the engines?

Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 02:20:39 AM »

Curious, does either of the systems have a good built-in support for procedural graphics?
Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »

why both the engines are relying on sprite sheets? why not movieclips? Is there any way to use movieclips in any of the engines?
The point of these two engines is to allow you to use pixelled sprites instead of movie clips. I'm sure there is a way to use movie clips in them though.
Sigma
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 04:15:38 AM »

I'm sure there is a way to use movie clips in them though.

So how to use movieClips ?

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 06:42:13 AM »

Both of these engines are designed and optimized for use of sprites over movieclips. If you are going to work with movieclips, you'd probably do better to look into regular old AS3.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »

why do you want to use those ?
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:59:28 AM »

Flash MovieClips involve a certain amount of memory overhead and rendering cost. Part of the point of Flixel and FlashPunk is that they both use a pixel buffer to limit and optimize the memory useage of their games, providing a considerable boost in performance. By focusing on sprite sheets instead of movieclips, it is possible to create larger, more action-oriented games in Flash that perform a lot faster.

There is a way to use MovieClips in either engine, you just have to re-write a little of the rendering code. But as I pointed out, this defeats the advantages that these engines usually provide for Flash game development.

You're better off sticking with sprite sheets if you plan to use either engine.
st33d
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »

why do you want to use those ?

Rotation and scaling, both of which copyPixels does not offer. If you were to draw a MovieClip rotated in memory to a bitmapData, it's debatable whether you would gain any speed increase or actually take up more cpu time by making the act so convoluted.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »

Rotation and scaling, both of which copyPixels does not offer. If you were to draw a MovieClip rotated in memory to a bitmapData, it's debatable whether you would gain any speed increase or actually take up more cpu time by making the act so convoluted.

I've done quite a lot of this (though not using Flixel or FlashPunk). It can be useful in some circumstances, because of the way Flash allocates BitmapDatas.

Roughly speaking, if you do any non-trivial drawing ops Flash will conclude that it needs to make a BitmapData to use as a buffer for efficient compositing. If your DisplayObject is very big, it will make a very big BitmapData. If this takes you completely by surprise you can even end up with several. Things can get big and slow.

By doing draw ops only to small user allocated Bitmaps and then using copyPixels to render these you give yourself a lot more control. It's far from always necessary, but it's a good trick to bear in mind for if everything goes pear shaped.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic