Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:10:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)No bugs in my code
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: No bugs in my code  (Read 14588 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »

That alone can help you identify bugs with the engine.
That is gross. A serious engine shouldn't have any bugs.

-split from Unity discussion, st33d
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:47:04 AM by st33d » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »

Any piece of software has bugs. That's a fact.
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »

Except for John Carmack's software.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »

Not necessarily. Especially the lower-level stuff shall be absolutely bug-free and solid. At least it is a good principle to follow.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »

Yes, it should. But that doesn't mean it is... There are bugs even in CPUs.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »

Do you mean that cpus dont compute the stuff they are told to at times? That is unfortunate but I think it is so rare that whenever you see a game-bug you can feel confident to blame the code for it and very unlikely the cpu.

I have never encountered the mal-functioning of the hardware itself on the hardware I worked so far, every bug turned out to be code-related.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »

I don't care. I'm just saying that however hard you try, there will always be bugs. Hough.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 04:59:05 AM »

Do you mean that cpus dont compute the stuff they are told to at times? That is unfortunate but I think it is so rare that whenever you see a game-bug you can feel confident to blame the code for it and very unlikely the cpu.

I have never encountered the mal-functioning of the hardware itself on the hardware I worked so far, every bug turned out to be code-related.

The most publicized CPU bug is probably the original Pentium's problem with division
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 05:48:10 AM »

as soon as the code becomes complex, bugs are prone to appear just because the coder cannot possibly think of all the interactions between different parts of the program, or sometimes the coder just doesn't really know himself what he expects from the program.
Trap them is probably a very simple program if it doesn't have bugs

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 05:57:23 AM »

as soon as the code becomes complex, bugs are prone to appear just because the coder cannot possibly think of all the interactions between different parts of the program, or sometimes the coder just doesn't really know himself what he expects from the program.
Trap them is probably a very simple program if it doesn't have bugs

I have a different thought. I think it's more conducive to having bugs in a large program made by many people than a large program made by a single person, it is difficult have no misinterpretation when more than one person works on the same code.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »

TrapThem is quite complex, at least if you intend to achieve a clone with the same perfect gaming-quality. The code-design could actually be a lot better structured, I break design-rules by taking shortcuts here and there, but it's scope is not too big and I know what i am doing.

And yeah, working alone or in teams makes the ultimate difference when it comes to bugs.
If the implementation is actually well structured and complete there should be no reason for bugs.

My head explodes when I listen how AAA-studios are dealing with 20000+ bugs when their games come out. I think I wouldn't be able to develop like this by principle. I would never realise my game if I encounter one single-bug or if something is mal-functioning. I will fix it before anyone notices it.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:49:17 AM »

I would never realise my game if I encounter one single-bug or if something is mal-functioning. I will fix it before anyone notices it.
Lol, you wish... Happy bug-fixing after the release Wink
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »

It has good compatibility, looks nice, is pretty new, and once some demand is created for people using it, the amount of people who know it increase, creating lots of Unity-able devs, creating more reason for studios to use it.

On an individual level there's a really helpful, large Unity forum population making it easy to learn and work with.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 10:14:55 AM »

I would never realise my game if I encounter one single-bug or if something is mal-functioning. I will fix it before anyone notices it.
It is in a very late dev-stage and I and the players have never encountered one, so it is very unlikely to happen. Bug-free games is an important quality-mark I want to be known for in the future.

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »

It is in a very late dev-stage and I and the players never have encountered one, so it is very unlikely to happen.

That sounds a bit too over confident. Bugs are part of the development process...
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »

That is ok as long as they are not a part of the finished game.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »

Still seems a stupid attitude to have - bugs can get through. Two that are particularly hard to detect ahead of time are issues specific to one architecture, and level design failures - how can you really be certain you've checked every possible system, and every possible quirk of a players mind? If your game cannot suffer from these, fine, but accept that that is not a luxury everyone has.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

There were most probably just very few players who played your game so the bugs just didn't appear.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Still seems a stupid attitude to have - bugs can get through. Two that are particularly hard to detect ahead of time are issues specific to one architecture, and level design failures - how can you really be certain you've checked every possible system, and every possible quirk of a players mind? If your game cannot suffer from these, fine, but accept that that is not a luxury everyone has.
During a healthy development process bugs come and go but they don't accumulate. If bugs accumulate then I think there is something wrong/dirty with working-moral and code-design.

Yes, if you work on rush like in aaa-studios you don't have that luxury and the outcome depends on far too many people to assure perfect quality. I cannot be 100% sure absolutely nothing slipped through such as typing errors. But if you plan your game through, down to the lowest logical level, you know about all the consequences which you have to take care of. In the end you go through all the code twice to ensure every piece works properly on its own and then you ensure that all the pieces are properly linked together. If you follow that principle things are unlikely to go inperfect. And even when one or two bugs slip through you will fix it when noticed and it will be perfect from then on. But if the game is still patched after years with patches to patch the patch then there is just something wrong with code-design, or the approach of the game-idea doesn't fit the computer-representation.

st33d
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »

Have you released a game yet?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic