Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:38:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRetroids - Asteroids Revival
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Retroids - Asteroids Revival  (Read 5175 times)
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »

Hey there, it's been quite a long time since I posted my last game (Invaders: Corruption) here. I've obsessionally read up on the indie scene and checked out the site forums and as per usual you're up to great things. Cool!

As for me, I've decided to try my hand in game development again, but after the pain-streaking experience of dealing with cross platform and some other limitations, I've decided to switch to C++.  Tired

I've made a quick asteroids-clone test game, to get the hang of it. I admit the game is nothing special, your standard asteroids clone, maybe a bit better executed that most. The idea is to get the hang of direct OpenGL + shaders and proper cross-platform compatibility.

I would be very grateful if you could download the game, and tell me if it runs or crashes horribly or whatever. Smiley

It's your grand dad's asteroids, with some graphical goodies thrown in - for  the extra retro dose:

Gameplay is the usual, with hi-scores and a disableable background. (For even more retro!)

Keys
--------------
Arrows - Control Ship
Space / Ctrl - Fire
P / Pause - Toggle Pause
Del / Backspace - Restart form scratch after losing a life (Good for hi-score runs)
F1 - Toggle retro mode

Windows Download
Mac Download
Linux Download

Thanks!

I'm especially curious about the Linux version, as I don't have much experience about it. Does it run? Did I include all the necessary stuff? How's the package?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:01:03 AM by VomitOnLino » Logged
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:17:47 AM »

The visual simulation of an old CRT is stunning XD.
I found the space ship way too slow both rotating and moving. Most of the time I just stayed in the same place. From time to time I teleported but there is really no much use in trying to evade "manually".
I don't know what kind of gameplay you wanted this game to have but I would think tweaking movement and speed is important to make the game more fun to play.

Master of all trades.
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »

Ker-Chunk!

New Key
F2 - Toggle Sound Mute

Not much changed, fiddled a bit around and found what PompiPomi has said to be true. Sped things up a bit. It also now retains changes after closing the game.

Score writing is more stable, too as in even if you try to mess it up, it won't crash horribly on you.

Windows Download
Intel-Mac Download
Linux Download

whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »

Very fun, love the visuals! Smiley Gamepad support would be great though

Ape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »

As the once-owner of an original 1979 Asteroids machine, (not that the fact grants me any credentials), I'd say this looks and plays great and was worth the effort.

Things I liked in particular:
- Accurate reproduction of sound effects (for the most part)
- Screen post-process effects
- Smooth gameplay
- Executable start-up routine

How did you achieve the cross-platform code in C++? Did you use any libraries like SDL (now used by none other than Valve software!), or did you take another route? Just curious.

Thanks for sharing!
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

cow@Lisa:~/temp/retroids$ ./retroids-launcher.sh
./retroids: 1: ./retroids: =: not found
./retroids: 1: ./retroids: =a��: not found
./retroids: 1: ./retroids: =a: not found
./retroids: 1: ./retroids: ELF: not found
./retroids: 2: ./retroids: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
  Shrug
(ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
andmatand
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 03:47:54 AM »

On Ubuntu 13.10 I get this:

Code:
$ ./retroids-launcher.sh
./retroids: error while loading shared libraries: libsfml-graphics.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 08:35:39 PM »

Let me just say,   Kiss
That was the most fun that i've had all day, and I love that CRT monitor effect.

PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »

As others have said, the CRT effect is really fantastic!

One thing I noticed is that when you destroy the smallest asteroid fragment, its destruction animation spawns some even smaller chunks which soon fade away. I found myself often thinking I had to shoot those tiny chunks. Maybe just have the smallest asteroids break into lines so it is clear that they aren't a threat?

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic