Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:56:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Mushroomer [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Mushroomer [FINISHED]  (Read 17975 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »

FINISHED. This game is, for all intents and purposes, finished. This was my first stab at making a game with a proper beginning and end, and my first ever contribution to a TIGSource Compo (or any competition, really!)

Thanks so much to everyone who offered suggestions, support and a very special thanks to the talented artists and musicians who contributed such amazing and inspiring assets for Part 1.

I've learned a lot, had tons of fun, and I can't wait for the next one.   Hand Thumbs Up Left Cool

Final Contest Submission: http://mushroomer.wegetsignal.ca/

credits:
Sprites, Tiles - Arachne
Font -Rynen10k's "FatKidDL2" Font

Music (Wind FX Intro) - jrhill
Music (Boss theme) -  cheapshot
Music (Cave theme) - JorgeBoscan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:30:33 AM by jotapeh » Logged
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »

looking great.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »

Thanks. I couldn't put this down so I spent the last several hours fixing up collision detection and adding some other neat goodies.

Music may take a while to load! But will do so in the background as you 'play' (although there is no objective yet, heh.)  Tongue
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »

Looking good thus far.

If you jump up against a wall and hold towards the wall, you can "hang" from the wall. Glitch or intentional?

I like the idea of a "Get out fast" game. Hopefully you'll get us an updated version with some obstacles next!

-SirNiko
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »

Most definitely a glitch! I'll be hammering that out soon, because the next step is to add ramps and so forth. Then booster items that will increase your speed beyond normal running capability... and of course, enemies!

Also, the level format is XML, so if anyone would like to take a run at designing a level, it's not too hard! I could even be prodded into making a proper editor.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:03:57 PM by jotapeh » Logged
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:28:43 AM »

That cloud effect in the background looks fantastic; very nice touch.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »

Looks cool.
Needs grappling hook  Epileptic ?

destiny is truth pre-op
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 08:40:22 AM »

Thanks guys! Yeah, the cloud effect is something I am particularly proud of. Because Flash isn't particularly fast at dynamic noise processing/blurring/color transforming, the cloud layer is completely preprocessed and revealed by a shifting perlin noise map as the alpha channel. I was quite happy with the result.

I love the idea of a grappling hook, X3N. I will definitely try to include something like that. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could grab a speed power up, run, leap and grapple over an otherwise impossible gap, thereby shaving valuable seconds off your time and saving your life!? That would be excellent.

Unfortunately, a man's gotta eat Shrug so updates will have to wait til later tonight.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:15 PM »

Game is unplayably slow for me Sad I think it might be the clouds, but I'm not sure.

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »

Game is unplayably slow for me Sad I think it might be the clouds, but I'm not sure.

If you could be so kind, please let me know which version of Flash you are using, as well as your system specs?

Despite being a Flash game, this does take a bit of horsepower. Browsers will find it hard to cope if you have a lot of windows open, especially if other flash pieces are running. So far I've tested it on a number of Intel Core 2 Duo Macs, it runs well on all of them.

The clouds are definitely the most graphic intensive part... I may include an option to disable them if lots of people find this runs sluggish.. or I may try to find a way to optimize them even more... hmm.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

Minor updates tonight:

1) Collision works better now (no more grabbing walls)
2) Press the 'e' key for a surprise! Screamy
cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:46:14 PM »

I think this game needs a BOSS! Wink

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »

I'm using flash 10 I think, firefox 3.5, windows 7. I thought I would right click on it to try and lower the quality, but then it froze and I had to force-kill the browser. Lol @ windows. Although I'm quite certain it wouldn't run very well on my linux machine, which struggles with youtube, hehe. Most flash runs just fine on my windows machine, I'm not sure why this one is such a hog. My browser actually freezes while loading the game too, which is pretty strange.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »

Thanks guys! Yeah, the cloud effect is something I am particularly proud of. Because Flash isn't particularly fast at dynamic noise processing/blurring/color transforming, the cloud layer is completely preprocessed and revealed by a shifting perlin noise map as the alpha channel. I was quite happy with the result.

I love the idea of a grappling hook, X3N. I will definitely try to include something like that. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could grab a speed power up, run, leap and grapple over an otherwise impossible gap, thereby shaving valuable seconds off your time and saving your life!? That would be excellent.

Unfortunately, a man's gotta eat Shrug so updates will have to wait til later tonight.

Does anyone here know the name of the indie game which featured much grappling? I can't remember if it ever came out, only saw videos.. I think you were a chick and you flew around at high speeds inside a cave shooting at things. Not Metroid, not BionicCommando, Not YGTGH, Not HookChamp. Could be good reference?

cheapshot: I think this game needs a BOSS! Wink
Just throwing ideas out here, but what if you didn't fight the boss directly, but had to lead it into other monsters / pits / lava pools with your excellent mobility? Maybe said boss could wallwalk and doublejump  Shocked

destiny is truth pre-op
cheapshot
Level 0

Welcome to your DOOM!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »

cheapshot: I think this game needs a BOSS! Wink
Just throwing ideas out here, but what if you didn't fight the boss directly, but had to lead it into other monsters / pits / lava pools with your excellent mobility? Maybe said boss could wallwalk and doublejump  Shocked

There's an idea! Beer!

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »

I like it guys Smiley

Right now I am scrambling to fix up collision detection.. when the player really gets moving, he can still pierce walls, etc. from time to time, so I'm trying my best to fix that.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »

Played it again briefly.

The "Boost" mechanic currently works in all directions: I can jump straight up, hit e, and boost to jump incredibly high. Boost seems to last longer in air than on the ground, probably due to friction on the ground slowing me back down.

This isn't a bad thing, and might make for a good, purposeful game mechanic depending on the action.

Looking forward to some obstacles to dodge.

-SirNiko
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »

Yep, you are completely right SirNiko, that is an intentional gameplay mechanic. If you boost in the wrong direction, you will go speeding off in a potentially very bad direction. Boosting while standing still will do nothing and your boost will simply be wasted! Careful use is essential!

OK, a few slightly more major updates tonight folks!

1) added more level tiles to the XML! and more sprites!
2) Bouncing coins! oooh! Pick em up! They do nothing! Yeah!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
3) Enemies! dying is currently kind of an annoyance if anything (you kersplode and lose control for like a second)

4) ... dun dun dun... with enemies comes... BOSS MUSIC! Haha. Just swapped out the music as the one track was getting repetitive (and also I freaking love cheapshot's track!) This track will actually be played when you reach the 'boss chamber' of a level, along with other epic changes that I will not yet reveal!
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »

Another update! I think it's really starting to have a solid shell now.

- EVENT SYSTEM - This is a big one! You can now trigger a special event by 'entering' a certain tile. There's a room with a rather colorful stone marking the entrance.. go see what happens!

Some minor level edits as well.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »

Saluk - I've made some recent optimizations (the game pushes approximately 20% fewer pixels per frame now,) and I will try to make more in the next few days.

If you have a moment, please let me know if it will run for you now. The only Windows 7 machine I have access to is a very underpowered netbook, so it doesn't run this very well (although it does not crash.)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic