Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:28:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Space Short Bus [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Short Bus [FINISHED]  (Read 13984 times)
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »

- - \ \   S P A C E   S H O R T   B U S   / / - -

[ DOWNLOAD ]

Pick up students from all around the cosmos on their way to intergalactic space school!

Earn space credits and outfit your rocketship for a variety of planetary conditions!

Art:
- Arachne
- savethedinosaurs
- Mr. Trianglehead
- Skab
- Kazerad
- Oddball

Music:
- compound
- Slide20xl

Audio:
- Radix
- BigLon

Programming and Design:
- Joachim Despland

I didn't get the time to patch up all the memory leaks before the deadline, so if the game slows down after you play for a long time, just press escape and restart the game and it should be better.

Right now there's no need to upgrade your weapons past level 3. I had more planets and enemies planned but I didn't get the time...

Please tell me what you think of the game or any bugs you might have!

Thank you!

Original Post:
-------------------------------

Hello TIGS!
I am making one of those games with a space rocket flying around in a cave.  Cave Story
Here's a screenshot of what I have so far:

I'm not sure exactly how this will end up yet, but it might involve rescuing stranded spacemen and trying to land without crashing?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:44:18 PM by Bob le Moche » Logged
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »

Looks fun! I like the particle trail.

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »

Space Short Bus

pick up and deliver the space kids to intergalactic space class on time!
pgil
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

Space Short Bus

pick up and deliver the space kids to intergalactic space class on time!
I approve Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »

Pull a Star Trek and unexplainably have to go back in time to muck up history yet somehow completely uneffect everything in any major way.

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 02:43:56 PM »

Landing without crashing is overdone.
You should instead have to crash-land, preferably at a very high speed.
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:38:19 PM »

Update!

I did submit the game to the finished entries thread last night, but I only just updated my post right now.

I didn't get the time to patch up all the memory leaks before the deadline, so if the game slows down after you play for a long time, just press escape and restart the game and it should be better.

Right now there's no need to upgrade your weapons past level 3. I had more planets and enemies planned but I didn't get the time...

Please tell me what you think of the game or any bugs you might have!

Thank you!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »

Game has a fairly skippy framerate in my computer, and seem to slow down other graphical stuff that may be running, including normal windows.

I like your use of music and graphics. And what kinda crazy universe is that that you have to fight through gun turrets to pick up kids for school?

Ive never been a fan of the physics rocket booster game type, with very few expections, but this one managed to keep my attention for a while.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:38:57 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »

Game has a fairly skippy framerate in my computer, and seem to slow down other graphical stuff that may be running, including normal windows.

Sorry to hear that Concerned
I tested the game on a variety of different computers and the only time I had any slow down was when running on a virtual box under mac... Do you have any clues as to what could cause the slow down?

If anybody else has the same problem, please report it to me!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »

It's probably my graphics card. It tends to be a bit temperamental, despite how powerful it is. Been a bit of a while since I updated the drivers too.

My graphics card is a Radeon HD4850 512MB, and my CPU is a Core 2 Quad Q8200, running on Windows XP Professional.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »

I didn't play the game much, the intro and the first level, but it reminded me of the Choplifter titles during the 16-bit era. I like the idea of finishing the level by leaving with the rocket. I also kinda liked squashing people by landing on them.

I'd like to see the concept a bit more fleshed out since I like where it's goin. Maybe for another competition?

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:58:06 AM »

Enjoyable, and perhaps a flawless execution! Good combination of Choplifter and Moon Lander! One of my favourite game play experiences is the combination of two classic arcade concepts, it is remarkable how often they marry well!

Turrets were a bit difficult, especially when placed on the ground. I had a double pick-up surrounded by no less than seven turrets, and sorry, but that was basically impossible since I had to blast away the defences to make space for landing, while shooting upside-down. Perhaps retro-thrusters could be introduced?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »

^maybe we could change the objective to power spin thrusting ppl to death?
The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »

I really loved this one. It had a great resource management type thing with your ship upgrades. The weight factor was a cool addition, but my favorite thing about it was that having a massive ship helped in some sections rather than just being a pain. Also, the little mentally challenged astronauts sitting there waving all the time amused the hell out of me for some reason.

My only real problem with the game was that the framerate often dipped very low. It might just be my setup. It'd be absolutely perfect if it could keep a steady framerate on my machine, but it's still quite enjoyable.

A Game By Its Cover Entry: Burp'N'Shoot
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

Liked: I'm a lunar lander fan so this was right up my street. Landing on a student and squishing him for the first time was hilarious.

Disliked: I don't know if it's just because I like these kind of games, but I found the controls very forgiving. It wouldn't have hurt to be a little more challenging in that respect.

Conclusion: I'll certainly be playing this one some more, and it also makes me want to make a lunar lander game now.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »

I didn't get any slowdown, but the game did a regular little jerk about every second.

I liked the experience of picking somebody up under fire. You have to hang around for long enough for the student to get to you, but you need to be somewhere else when the shots arrive (I didn't realize that you could shoot back, at first).

I didn't make it past the third mission, which felt like a puzzle because of the number of people to pick up and the limited fuel; but it was difficult to make any plans because of the limited amount shown on the minimap.

Slide20xl
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »

Hey!

I'm glad you liked my track enough to put it into the game. (I'm sorry to say that I haven't played it yet, though.. I'm currently booting OS X. ^^;)

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic