Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:46:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Programming Language Resources
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Programming Language Resources  (Read 161386 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 02:37:42 PM »

Added a new link to a very expansive PDF on D. Enjoy Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
increpare
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

FWIW, there's an interesting ab initio F# games primer here.

A Gentle Introduction to Haskell is one of the canonical on-line Haskell tutorials.  Also the O'Reilly book Real World Haskell is available on-line for free (the print edition isn't even out yet).

These would both be beginner's level resources.  For an interesting project which involved reconstructing a version of the quake-3 engine, in Haskell (with FRP), see Frag (page includes link to the dude's undergraduate thesis on it).  That would count as an intermediate browse/advanced read. 

Damn, there was one other...ah here's an interesting article on constructing a game loop using monads (this would be intermediate I guess).  It's not great, but it is interesting.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 05:09:15 PM »

Thanks for those! Nice additions. Just added 'em.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
winterkill
Level 0

Shpadoinkle!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »

I have a terrible habit of getting distracted by shiny new things (like learning new programming languages) which I'm trying to kick, so I haven't actually read/followed this whole tutorial, but it might make a nice addition to the Haskell resources: http://learnyouahaskell.com/
riq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

Objective-c resource:

cocos2d
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 02:54:37 AM »

Thanks Smiley

Just added those.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 01:41:49 AM »

Just added a decent looking tutorial on Ruby.  Gentleman

Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 09:31:52 PM »

I'm offended that you don't have resources for LOLCODE Mock Anger

LOL, I can't wait until that C++ interpreter for it comes out.

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
5parrowhawk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »

I learnt a lot about XNA from this guy:

http://www.thehazymind.com

His tutorials are pretty good.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 06:22:50 PM »

I just updated the front page of the thread with some beginner level stuff for using Silverlight, a pretty powerful framework from the looks of it...check 'em out.

valkrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »

Just wondering if anyone here has read any of the books in the Game Programming Gems series. Are those any good and worth mentioning?
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2009, 09:56:07 AM »

Just wondering if anyone here has read any of the books in the Game Programming Gems series. Are those any good and worth mentioning?

There's definitely some good stuff in them. The usefulness of the articles isn't always consistent--some aren't as in-depth as the topic deserves, and some aren't really applicable to a broad range of games--but overall, they're pretty good quality. My bigger complaint is that the topics are so varied that I only find a fraction of the articles relevant to my own interests. I love reading and learning from them anyway, but it makes it hard to justify the price tag. Best thing to do is browse the index at http://www.introgamedev.com/ and find if any particular volume has a wealth of articles you'd be interested in.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »

Do you all think it would be a good idea to keep track of a few forums where people can find help on specific languages? Either way, here are my contributions to the Lua portion:

Beginner
An Introduction to Lua
Programming in Lua, First Edition (Written for Lua 5.0)
Intermediate
Lua 5.1 Reference Manual
Books
Lua 5.1 Reference Manual
Programming in Lua, Second Edition (Written for Lua 5.1)

Edit: Improved organization
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:14:58 AM by MrChocolateBear » Logged

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »

This is a very very good series! Like David Pittman said, some articles are more interesting than others, but its bound to happen when you cover as many topics as this series does. One important note about the series is that it's not intended to teach people how to program, rather it explains the author(s) approach to dealing with specific gameplay programming issues. In order to get the most out of this book, I'd recommend the reader be at or close to an intermediate level. Hope that helps!

lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 04:43:18 AM »

I disagree with linking to 'The C Programming Language' PDF, it's a pirated ebook/warez thing and to add insult to injury the person who is hosting the copyrighted material has added annotations to the PDF which are false and misleading.

Persons should just fork out the $15 for a used dead tree version on amazon
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »

I disagree with linking to 'The C Programming Language' PDF, it's a pirated ebook/warez thing and to add insult to injury the person who is hosting the copyrighted material has added annotations to the PDF which are false and misleading.

Well, to address your post the book is not a warez. I assure you I would not link any warez on this site. You can actually google this book fairly easily without having to go to any "warez" site. I looked through the book itself and it seems you are complaining about one singular note (on page 19) which can be easily ignored. However, if it is really that bothersome I have changed the link to a version without the note. Here is the link: http://youth.dlmu.edu.cn/book/bookdown/book1187785004.pdf

Just updated the page with hose links for Lua as well Wink
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:47:03 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 02:27:39 AM »

Well, to address your post the book is not a warez. I assure you I would not link any warez on this site. You can actually google this book fairly easily without having to go to any "warez" site. I looked through the book itself and it seems you are complaining about one singular note (on page 19) which can be easily ignored. However, if it is really that bothersome I have changed the link to a version without the note. Here is the link: http://youth.dlmu.edu.cn/book/bookdown/book1187785004.pdf

It's never been released for free on the internet so it is warez.

If it had been surely the homepage for the book would mention this or host it. http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/

Or perhaps the publisher would also show this?  No.
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:1THydPOk3ZwJ:www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/academic/product/0,,0131103628,00%252Ben-USS_01DBC.html+prentice+hall+%22c+programming+language%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Thanks for responding to my concerns Smiley
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 01:43:54 PM »

Yay! Now the Lua section has more than one resource! Smiley

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 01:22:22 PM »

It's never been released for free on the internet so it is warez.

Fair enough, I suppose I can add it to the book resources links under the C heading. Besides, there are plenty of free C books and tutorials online for free and this book is pretty cheap online if you need a print reference.

Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 01:55:05 PM »

Microsoft has a C++ beginner's guide available for download. I've skimmed through a little bit and it seems like a  pretty good resource for newbies.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/cc305129.aspx

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic