Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:42:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIGF 2010 nominations
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: IGF 2010 nominations  (Read 97683 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:57:08 AM »

http://www.igf.com/2010/01/independent_games_festival_201.html

Seumas McNally Grand Prize:
Joe Danger (Hello Games)
Monaco  (Pocketwatch Games)
Rocketbirds: Revolution! (Ratloop Asia)
Trauma (Krystian Majewski)
Super Meat Boy! (Team Meat)

Excellence In Visual Art
Shank (Klei Entertainment)
Owlboy (D-Pad Studios)
Limbo (Playdead)

Excellence In Design
Miegakure (Marc Ten Bosch)
Star Guard (Sparky)
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard For Gravity (Dejobaan Games)
Monaco  (Pocketwatch Games)
Cogs (Lazy 8 Studios)

Excellence In Audio
Super Meat Boy! (Team Meat)
Shatter (Sidhe)
Closure (Closure Team)

Technical Excellence
Closure (Closure Team)
Limbo (Playdead)
Heroes Of Newerth (S2 Games)
Joe Danger (Hello Games)
Vessel (Strange Loop Games)

Nuovo Award
Today I Die (Daniel Benmergui)
A Slow Year (Ian Bogost)
Tuning (Cactus)
Closure (Closure Team)
Enviro-Bear 2000 (Justin Smith)

Congratulations to all the finalists and commiserations to everyone else. There were some fantastic games in the list of entries that were not chosen.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:26:28 AM by Alex May » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:29:58 AM »

Enviro-Bear YES. Way to go, Justin! Also <3 Cactus, nice job!
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »

Joe Danger looks kinda fun.

Played Rocketbirds a while ago, and it's basically flashback/out of this world/another world but in flash, with chickens and some elaborate cinematics, nothing new systems/mechanics wise.

Monaco looks like a fun little roguelike actually, kind of like spelunky, but with 4 player co-op, seems like a winning formula to me!

Trauma I would love to try, it certainly has a unique style about it.

Super Meat Boy, eh, yeah, well, platformer by ed and tommunism.

Otherwise: great to see Miegakure nominated for Design Excellence, again would love to play that.

The actual winners should be known in 2 weeks time, so maybe some of them leak  Well, hello there!

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:49:14 AM »

Limbo being nominated for the Technical Excellence Award intrigues me. Is there any public information about this game other than the teaser video and the concept art?
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:03 AM »

Some games I'm gutted not to see in here (particularly some of the adventure games I've been following... bah), but yeah, that Trauma looks interesting... and free to play sometime this year which should be good.

Was also surprised to see Rocketbirds in so many categories, I liked it, but I didn't think it was that groundbreaking apart from some very good production values.

Also, yay for Star Guard, boo for no VVVVVV...

Last release: sync::routine
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:58:50 AM »

Limbo being nominated for the Technical Excellence Award intrigues me. Is there any public information about this game other than the teaser video and the concept art?

The game plays exactly like the trailer. That's quite impressive I must say... especially the part with the rotating world.

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 03:17:22 AM »

I am personally disgusted by the lack of VVVVVV, Windosill, Captain Forever, and Eversion. Especially the first two.

And then probably less-reasonably disgusted by the lack of 78641, Restraining Order, and Tanaka's Friendly Adventure, all of which I like particularly and were entered but probably aren't the sort of games which you'd expect to win anything.

This is the problem with having entries which have been released mixed in with entries which remain unreleased. I feel like the games I know are good have been gypped by games of which I have no knowledge.
bento_smile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 03:21:15 AM »

Congratulations to all the people shortlisted! Everyone else, don't feel too bad, it's a tough competition.  Smiley

And then probably less-reasonably disgusted by the lack of 78641, Restraining Order, and Tanaka's Friendly Adventure, all of which I like particularly and were entered but probably aren't the sort of games which you'd expect to win anything.

Kiss
TheDustin
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 04:06:06 AM »

VVVVVV should have won. There isn't any justice in the world.  Lips Sealed At the very least it should have gotten in for "excellence in design", it's very tightly crafted. Congrats to everybody who made it thus far, though.

Monaco looks like a fun little roguelike actually, kind of like spelunky, but with 4 player co-op, seems like a winning formula to me!

Woah. If your description's accurate I'm in love.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 04:27:15 AM »

Gratz to all the finalists, I'll see you at The GDC.

Watch out IGF2011, I'm coming ta getcha!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 04:29:30 AM »

First of all, big congrats to all the finalists! Smiley You guys rock! Smiley I'm looking forward to see what happens next.  Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

I mentioned this elsewhere but I'm slightly dispointed to see only 20 games nominated. 5 games per category is nice but having some game repeated numerous time is a bit too much in my opinion. I mean, not from the point of view of a contestant nor a judge, but from a point of view of someone visiting. 300+ entries and you only get to see like 20 games. The indies boast their ability for originality and variety but during the show, they'll be only a handful of games. Maybe it's room issues? I dunno. Makes me feel as if either A) 286 titles were not that good (which is not the case) or B) The indie world is not that varied after all. 

But hey, it still a good selection and it should be an interesting show. I guess I was expecting something more with a record breaking 306 entries. It's not like there were only a few games to choose from. Maybe next year? I dunno. Smiley

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:34:34 AM »

The game plays exactly like the trailer. That's quite impressive I must say... especially the part with the rotating world.

My Word!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:18:46 AM »

Congratulations to the nominees!

Some really great familiar games in there, and some games I've never heard of too. 

Really sorry not to see VVVVV in the design category.

I too am very disappointed to see only 20 games nominated, it does seem like the lists are filled with the same names.

twitter: @docky
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »

Alas, this wasn't enough to ensure "Excellence in Audio".
Congratulations to the nominees all of whom unfortunately look worthy
(just wish the enchanting VVVVVV was in there somewhere).

If you smell something acrid in the air today, do not worry.
It is only my burning, bitter, world destroying jealousy.

And then probably less-reasonably disgusted by the lack of 78641, Restraining Order, and Tanaka's Friendly Adventure,
all of which I like particularly and were entered but probably aren't the sort of games which you'd expect to win anything.

An unsolicited, unpaid shoutout for Restraining Order?
The funniest, least played game of 2009?
Rejected by the holy trinity of IndieCade, Pax and now IGF?
GooGooJoob, you are indeed the walrus.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »

First off, awesome job everyone. Such stiff competition and what a line-up! Great work to all involved and congrats to the nominees! I think the only thing (and I had to dig for something) is what Dock said about number of nominees v. slots.

I think it's a shame when something like Windosill doesn't get in excellence in visual art but plenty of games span multiple categories so they don't have to dole out as many passes. Windosill is fucking mindblowing. MINDBLOWING. I spend hours awake at night wondering how he did it.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 12:06:56 PM »

I'm surprised I got technical. I thought that was my weakest category, personally.

Then again it's a weird category to begin with.
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 12:34:16 PM »

Congrats to all the finalists and everyone who entered! Grin I'm a little bummed that my entry didn't make it, but it gives me a chance to reimagine things and hopefully make something that much better (I'll certainly be back next year, and this time I'll actually enter the student one... (I thought you had to be in a dedicated game dev/design program, so I paid the $95 even though I'm a high school student Embarrassed)).

Any word on when/how we get feedback from the judges?

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:03 PM »

Congratulations to all the finalists, and great job to everyone who put the time and energy into entering as well! ^_^  I'm particularily happy about seeing Owl Boy and Enviro-Bear 2000! 

It would have been nice to see VVVVVV in the design category, and I would have liked to have seen fewer repeated nominations.  It makes it seem as though judges would like a particular game and then just give it high marks across the board as opposed to truly evaluating each category separately.  In the audio category for example, almost all of the audio finalists were also finalists in something else.  Don't get me wrong, they had great audio... but I felt that there were several lesser known titles I'd played (I tried to play as many of the IGF entrants as possible) that really shined specifically in the audio category.

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »

I want to chime in on something real quick, because I'm seeing a lot of mentions about the repeat nominations.  We don't choose the finalists; they are simply the top-scoring games in each category.  There is no editorial control (we can't look at a category and say, "Oh, we should pull Game X because it's already a finalist in A and B").  The judges' scores are the sole determining factor in who is and isn't a finalist.

Nuovo was jury-selected, so there was more focused discussion, but it was still an approval voting process.  More info on the Nuovo selection process is here:  http://www.igf.com/2010/01/2010_igf_nuovo_jury_releases_f.html

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 03:21:33 PM »

Grats to everyone who was nominated! Gentleman
It's going to be an awesome awards show this year, can't wait to see the results (and play the games!!! Shocked)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic