Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:09:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God [Flash MMO Finished]  (Read 191604 times)
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

The controls feel pretty good right now. Strafing and turning both with the keyboard is weird to me, mostly because I'm used to using the mouse to turn and keyboard to strafe.

Ahh, genius.  I knew there was a reason it felt awkward.  I wonder if there would be any way to accomplish mouse based turning... not sure if Flash lets you "capture" the mouse or not, and even then using the mouse to deal with loot would be impossible.

Will keep thinkin... and yeah, let's figure out some ways to increase the replay value.  Honestly, right now just logging in with friends and killing things has been fun, but saving / loading and getting further in exploration would be slick.

How about the ruined temples becoming save points... once cleared of monsters you could set a beacon there that turned it into some sort of safe zone / respawn area.  :?

I game as Scarvye. I blog roguelikes / indie games as a Rogue Wombat
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »

The only thing this game needs to be a great "Mini-MMO" experience is a stronger feeling of progression. Right now we're leveling up and getting rewards but in the end we're just wandering around the map slaughtering forest creatures.

Still an excellent game, looking forward to future additions.
scarybug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »

This is great! But you really need to implement reasons for different classes to play their roles. If you look at the D&D 4E roles it might be a good start. You should give XP to Priests for healing and to Warriors for taking damage (tanking). Also Priests absolutely need to see health bars of other players so they can run around being beneficent. =)

rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 12:34:07 PM »

Just for the record... the new auto-fire feature rocks!  I like how I still get to Shift + click separately to heal people, too.

rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »

Separately, I might add that with all these people joining in and playing, esp. with lots of people dieing and leveling up, it's hard to chat.  The text scrolls away too fast.  It would be nice to have a console mode, like with ~, come up that showed more of the recent chat log.  Or... maybe it could just show the chat log w/o the game notifications mixed in.

Also, if there's a player limit, will the server automatically boot idle level 1 characters?  I've noticed several that login and just stand around taking up active player game slots.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:42:31 PM by rszrama » Logged

oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »

Player limit reached!? nooo.
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 12:50:23 PM »

Gah!  They linked us over at IndieGames.com (
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/01/browser_game_pick_realm_of_the.html) and the server is getting hammered.  I have a 20-player limit installed now, while we work on fixes.

Rob of Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

Wild Shadow Studios -- wildshadow.com
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »

You could change the link temporarily Smiley
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

Yeah, the game's getting hammered.

This also reveals a pretty hefty problem with the current design: when you have a large group of players pouring in at staggered intervals, the weak monsters near the start area are dead, making it difficult to find something to kill, and troublesome finding a group.

Also, the first of many irritating trolls have joined the game. Ah, the community used to be so grand.

-SirNiko

Edit: You also should add a start screen that indicates the game is still pretty newly minted, encouraging players to give feedback in this or another forum via a direct link to the thread of choice. All these testers are of little value if they aren't providing any feedback.
Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2010, 01:40:29 PM »

Separately, I might add that with all these people joining in and playing, esp. with lots of people dieing and leveling up, it's hard to chat.  The text scrolls away too fast.  It would be nice to have a console mode, like with ~, come up that showed more of the recent chat log.  Or... maybe it could just show the chat log w/o the game notifications mixed in.

You can use PgUp to scroll back your chat log for now.

Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios

TheDustin
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2010, 02:51:17 PM »

Hopefully I can get access to this exclusive club sometime soon, as it looks pretty fun.  Gentleman
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »

Hey you guys get off the server its my turn!  Angry  This looks great!

Hyudra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »

Where can I vote for this?

I stayed up an hour later than I intended, getting myself to level 26.
rszrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »

Ok, just got through my most successful run so far.  Made it up to level 11 before I offloaded my Ring of Speed and Wand of Death to Chetyre and some other items around.  One thing I noticed... it was reeeeally easy starting out.  The frantic pace at the beginning of previous games was a lot of the fun, and after a while (esp. with that awesome wand) I was nigh invincible.  I was slaying demons, giant robots, Cthulu (yes, Cthulu), and all manner of large baddies at will.  It didn't hurt that I found a vast open area a little east and due north from the starting point where it was easy to dispense pain.

Anyways, it was easy to tank myself and load up on loot.  I'm sure this was done to adjust gameplay for newbies and enable solo play, but I think I liked it a little harder. Smiley

Awesome loot, by the way, and the monsters all rock.  I love the big ones, especially when you get tribes of goblins or elves... or a giant slime that multiples on death.  Keep it up!

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »

What a crazy day!!  On the last day of the competition we got blindsided by an unplanned stress test!  Whew!

We just posted build 65 of Realm of the Mad God.  You can play at:

New features in 65:
  • Music ('M' to mute)
  • A new unlockable character, the Knight
  • Performance improvements (thanks, indiegames.com)
  • Oryx the Mad God appears when all his minions have been destroyed
  • The spawn point moves around to get new players into the action more quickly
  • Hit 'H' for help
  • Many smaller fixes

Thanks so much to everyone who played.  We had a full server for about 9 solid hours!

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »

I'm getting a Flash error 2048 when trying to connect in the latest build. Using Firefox 3.5.7 on Vista 32 bit. A version I played a week or two ago worked without incident.
Code:
Security Error: Error #2048
Connection failed! Retrying in 5 seconds
Connecting to assemblee.wildshadow.com:2050

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »

I'm getting a Flash error 2048 when trying to connect in the latest build. Using Firefox 3.5.7 on Vista 32 bit. A version I played a week or two ago worked without incident.
Code:
Security Error: Error #2048
Connection failed! Retrying in 5 seconds
Connecting to assemblee.wildshadow.com:2050

Did you try hitting reload (or even shift-reload) in your browser?  Are you still seeing this error?

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:45 PM »

Working now. Cheers!

Wild Shadow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »

Here are the credits for Realm of the Mad God:

• Design and programming: Rob & Alex, Wild Shadow Studios
  • Additional design and programming: Amit Patel
  • Art: Oryx, Geeze, Oddball
  • Sound Effects: John Nesky, feeblethemighty, Big Lon, boomlinde
  • Music: Craig Stern

TheDustin
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »

I finally was able to give it a shot; it was an anarchic mess of monsters and players. It was pretty epic.  Kiss
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic