Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:39:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral[deleted]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [deleted]  (Read 13942 times)
bluej774
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:23:23 AM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:23:22 PM by bluej774 » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 02:26:48 AM »

hoverbike races

gunmaggot
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:41:53 AM »

To be honest, I think you really nailed it in the first post so I'm gonna cheat and say something that no beat 'em up ever really got right:  Speed.  I think that would have really saved the genre (well, diversification and variety would have helped too - more unique gameplay gimmicks).

Now I'm just gonna list the best beat 'em ups ever made.  Note the absence of Streets of Rage 2.  
Attention:  Not really in any careful order - D&D I'd put higher up but I'm too lazy to change it.

1. Knuckle Bash
2. Violent Storm
3. Ninja Baseball Bat Man
4. Aliens vs Predator
5. The Punisher
6. Armored Warriors
7. Gourmet Sentai
8. Dungeons & Dragons : Shadow Over Mystara
9. Golden Axe : Revenge of Death Adder
10. Captain Commando
11. River City Ransom
12. Spiderman The Videogame
13. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
14. Sengoku 3
15. Tecmo Knight
16. Night Slashers
17. Moonwalker, if it counts.
18. Guardian Heroes
19. Pu Li Rula
20. Oh alright - Streets of Rage 2.
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »

hoverbike races
Epileptic

The absolute main thing is good controls and feedback. If it feels good to beat people up, everything else is secondary.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:59:31 AM »

Witches with long legs, 4 guns and ass.
gunmaggot
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:05:03 AM »

^
Yes.

Also, I forgot Shadow Force - that's a pretty serious omission.
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:11:40 AM »

I can't believe you miss this out : Co-op

I remember playing bare kunckle with my brother, and he would accidentally hit me. I would get pissed, and ask him to go over, so I can hit him back. So he walked over... to beat me up some more, lol

Co-op moves are pretty sweet too.
And definitely slam moves.

hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 03:19:44 AM »

I can't believe you miss this out : Co-op

I remember playing bare kunckle with my brother, and he would accidentally hit me. I would get pissed, and ask him to go over, so I can hit him back. So he walked over... to beat me up some more, lol

Co-op moves are pretty sweet too.
And definitely slam moves.

Also some pits where you can throw the other player.
gunmaggot
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 03:24:10 AM »

@ rayteoactive:

There are, like, zero bmups with singleplayer-only tho.  I can only think of ... Renegade?  The snes port of Final Fight?  That was the de-facto standard from the beginning.  Which is pretty interesting, really.  Co-op moves are damn awesome though.  Revenge of Death Adder did that real well - co-op moves for two players and four players.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 04:00:45 AM »

Little Fighter is a pretty cool game. Apart from co-op, what really makes it fun is that it takes place on a big field, with lots of enemies and special attacks flying in all directions. So scale is something I would add to that list, though it might not fit well with every single game.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 08:06:30 AM »

Is God Hand on that list? It totally should be.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 08:21:31 AM »

Personally, I like a little grappling in my Beat-Em-Ups. When I played Double Dragon II, I would always try to get as close to the enemies as possible, so that I could grab them and work them over up-close style. I especially like when you can change up how you're wailing on them on the fly. Let me grab them, and then let each button kick their ass in a different way.
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »

The same thing that makes any other game good, I guess...

Um... it'd be nice to play a beat em up with a great story.  I've never run into that.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »

Badass characters, borderline caricatural even.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »

the right timing and satisfaction when you punch a guy in the face... Pish* Pish* Pish* PISH*

we really odd to have this topic for every genre.. for study purpose Wizard

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »

Also, I forgot Shadow Force - that's a pretty serious omission.
You also forgot Warriors Of Fate. If anyone wants a lesson on how to make a good beat-em-up they should just play through WOF. Vendetta too, it's Violent Storm's gritty, more violent older brother.

Lesson over.
gunmaggot
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

Your points are noted but dismissed.  Realistially, you could swap in Warriors of Fate for just about any of those games - WoF is a good game and even as a bmup fan I know that a lot of the differences between the games is pretty trivial so any list is gonna be sorta arbitrary.  Like, I think it's probably a technically better game than, say, Night Slashers - but personality goes a long way.  I also thought it kind of ran out of steam earlier than most bmups and that's really saying something.  Also, Knights of the Round is better so ha.

Vendetta is just a dot on a timeline to me - Violent Storm is its successor but its better in every way, not to mention goofy and hilarious.  I was awarding zero points for historical value or else Final Fight and Double Dragon would have made it.  My list remains definitive.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 01:50:21 AM »

Warriors Of Fate and its highly satisfying dismemberment factor aside, I can't dispute with you the quality of Violent Storm. It's got more moves, larger sprites and the soundtrack is fabulous compared with Vendetta but I'll always rank it lower because of the lack of weapons, stuff to smash and that only two people can enjoy it so the other two you've brought along have to sit it out until you're both done. Maybe they can go off and play Battle Circuit or Metamorphic Force while they wait. Not the version which has that stupid timer on your life meter, the proper Japanese one with no such blatant coin guzzling mechanic.

Speaking of which I'm puzzled as to why Battle Circuit isn't on your list and Captain Commando is. It's like they took Captain Commando and added the speed of AvP and made it better, it should be at number ten. Or maybe six.
gunmaggot
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 02:18:08 AM »

Warriors Of Fate and its highly satisfying dismemberment factor aside, I can't dispute with you the quality of Violent Storm. It's got more moves, larger sprites and the soundtrack is fabulous compared with Vendetta but I'll always rank it lower because of the lack of weapons, stuff to smash and that only two people can enjoy it so the other two you've brought along have to sit it out until you're both done. Maybe they can go off and play Battle Circuit or Metamorphic Force while they wait. Not the version which has that stupid timer on your life meter, the proper Japanese one with no such blatant coin guzzling mechanic.
Violent Storm has piglets that follow you around and turn into footballs when thrown.  That is the only weapon I need.

Speaking of which I'm puzzled as to why Battle Circuit isn't on your list and Captain Commando is. It's like they took Captain Commando and added the speed of AvP and made it better, it should be at number ten. Or maybe six.

Captain Commando made the list because you can be a baby riding a mech, and the mech is wearing pants, and you can climb inside a larger mech.  Battle Circuit is off the list because I am a phony and a fraud - I played it a while back but sort of dismissed it because TOO MUCH TALKING and small sprites.  I just booted up MAME to re-evaluate and man, it's a great game and belongs near the top for sure.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 02:42:29 AM »

I think I might retract any differences in opinion I have with you since you put Knuckle Bash at the top. Good show.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic