Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:11:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]  (Read 156571 times)
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »

I just realized one major source of problems might be how values are written out on computers from different countries. Are you in the US or elsewhere, patata?
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:49 AM »

Argentina. Tongue
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2010, 06:58:42 AM »

According to wikipedia, Argentina uses commas as its decimal separators. Since Game Maker writes out real valued numbers based on the computer's region settings, but then fails to actually read them in again, that's probably the problem.

Obviously, I'll put together a solution ASAP, but in the meantime you might be able to fix the problem by going into the save files (named by class in the game's /Data folder) and changing all the commas to periods. Tongue
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:33 AM »

..in the meantime you might be able to fix the problem by going into the save files (named by class in the game's /Data folder) and changing all the commas to periods. Tongue
I replaced all commas with periods, but the problem persists! Cry
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

Ugggh this is starting to look unpleasant. Any chance you could post the contents of one of those save files? I have a feeling that things aren't saving the same on other peoples' computers as they are on mine.
patata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »

Ugggh this is starting to look unpleasant. Any chance you could post the contents of one of those save files? I have a feeling that things aren't saving the same on other peoples' computers as they are on mine.
PM sent. Wink
Curseman
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2010, 11:28:09 PM »

The new additions are fun.  I like the new harder-than-the-Bone-Lord challenges.

The sharp version of the executable looks exactly like the fuzzy version for me, except for in the sharp version there are black boxes around all of the sprites where it should be transparent.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2010, 12:39:06 AM »

I just put up a new version that SHOULD fix the save problem. Unfortunately, it means that previous saved characters will no longer work (although I shouldn't need to change them again so this will be the last time). I think the problem was because I was foolishly assuming that data references would be stable across different plays (which is why it seemed to be working some times and not others).

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to fix your save data, which can be transferred over from the /Data folder...

HOW TO FIX SAVED CHARACTERS (don't look if you don't need to and don't want to tempt yourself)

Here's an example of the new format for Archer.txt, with a character named CLUBBO:

CLUBBO
Archer
Plutonium Bow
Cloth Tunic
Eagle Ring

Previously, it was nothing but numbers. If you have one of those saves, replace the second line with the name of the class (redundant, I know), and the final three lines with your weapon, outfit, and ring. Note that the first letter of each word should be capitalized. If you have any problems with this, PM me and I'll get you what you need.

END CHEATING

One more thing is that if you're from a country that uses commas instead of periods for decimal indicators, you should go through your saved files and replace all the commas with periods (including Ultimate.txt, if you have it). This will NOT be a problem with future saves.

Also, I should note that I added the ability to see your stats in dungeons or in town by pressing the Space key. Good suggestion, guys! And for people with multiple keyboards, I added a fourth keyboard option (IJKL), which is hidden but can be accessed by pressing the T key at the controls screen.

Please let me know if you experience any problems, I really want to get this version polished up!

P.S. to Vanguard: Yeah, unfortunately, the sharp version doesn't work for all computers. Oddly enough though, te fuzzy version is sharp on some computers!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:01:07 AM by pulsemeat » Logged
Curseman
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2010, 01:10:30 AM »

Are you not allowed to use the last unlockable reward in the last trial?  I just did a run for that and it asked if I wanted to save, but there's no statue for it.  I guess it'd be too easy?
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2010, 02:50:03 AM »

Yeah, there are two unlockable classes, and neither of them can be used in the Hall of Legends. I should probably not let you save them or something...
Curseman
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »

I love how careless, irresponsible, and selfish the heroes come across as being in so many of this game's events, and how the game treats that behavior like it's the most natural thing in the world.

I wish there were more games like this where instead of a binary pass/fail outcome for each mission, there are varying degrees of success, and how well you do in each gives you an advantage/disadvantage in the final challenge.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »

At one point in Demon's Souls they really drive home just how sociopathic and selfish the typical fantasy "hero" is. Man, what an amazing game...

Anyway, it looks like the new version of the game is now relatively bug-free, so I've updated it on the main page. Thanks for the help with the save bug, Vanguard and patata!
Bzhuan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »

how do you unlock that last challenge?
Curseman
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »

how do you unlock that last challenge?

Defeat the hidden boss in one of the dungeons, then take the Bone Lord out.  Maybe it works if you lose to the Bone Lord too, I dunno.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »

There are 3 unlocks related to the statues (all cumulative), and one unlock related to the ultimate challenge (which is itself the first unlockable).

Well, there's one other unlockable related to the ultimate challenge, but it's very minor and very difficult. If anyone's crazy enough to get it, let me know.
Bzhuan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2010, 08:54:20 PM »

...no I mean how do you open that ****ing gateway at the hall of legends?
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:25 PM »

That's how you do it; get more/better statues by playing through with different classes, and the barriers will disappear.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »

Any chance I/we could have the editable file?
I would love to mod more areas/weapons/classes in myself for me and my friends to play as we are loving it and just want more.

If not then any chance I could help you develop the game more/assist with a sequel?
I would love to help in a project like this.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to zoom in to make the game area fullscreen ie. less the black border?
I've tried running it in windows compatibility mode at 640x480 res, but that's too low, and windows 7 offers no other res adjustment options in compat. mode.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:07:08 PM by Onza40 » Logged
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2010, 07:31:14 AM »

Onza40: PM sent.

I'm happy to give the source to anyone that wants it.
fydo
Level 0

meows

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »

Hey, just wanted to leave a little note here to let you know that I absolutely love Dungeons of Fayte. You did an awesome job, and I completely adore anything with co-op.

*kitty high-fives*

My lovely vaporware project - flay
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic