Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:20:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Dungeons of Fayte: 1-4 Player Co-op RPG/Sim [DEFINITIVE EDITION]  (Read 156444 times)
Attribute Clash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 05:00:33 AM »

Great co-op game! Definitely enjoyed playing it.  Beer!

pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 06:09:57 AM »

This should fix the Unexpected Error for real this time:
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/110894-dof-update

It also loads faster, but it has to be downloaded or you won't be able to hear the music.
Dr.Salt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »

The big problem is that I'm using 8x8 sprites and zooming in, and Game Maker 7 doesn't seem to do that very well. The only solution I can imagine would be to blow up the sprites in Photoshop so I don't have to zoom, but that's kind of unfeasible at this point.

Changing the screen resolution to something small did bad things and generally irritates people, and that's why I usually prefer to resort to the zoom feature. I'd love to know if anyone knows a better way to do this, or if there are some options that can be changed to avoid the bluriness.
Try this tutorial, I had the same problem and I believe this fixed it.
I love this game by the way. I'm going to be playing it with friends soon.
Kepa
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »

What a great game!  I played through numerous times.  Some comments:

1. An option to skip the first dungeon would be nice.  It's not a big deal the first 4 playthroughs or so, but then I started to get tired of it.
2. Randomly generated levels, or multiple versions of each level, or just simply more levels would be great.
3. Online multiplayer would be amazing, though I guess you'd have to move to an entirely new engine to support that.

I hope you keep adding more things to the game!  It's already one of my favorites from the last several months of games I've played.

I find that Thief and Necromancer are the best classes if solo.  Thief's nice because you can get it right away.  The thief class also has the potential to clear each level on the first attempt.  Necromancer's great because if you just kill the weakest enemy in a group quickly, you can machinegun everything else to death with homing skulls.
Dr.Salt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »

I just finished paying this with my girlfriend and we loved it. It had us laughing from start to finish. The endings especially.
There was a bug during out first play however where we both tried to use the barracks and got stuck and were unable to move.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 12:31:06 AM »

Ack! I fixed something earlier where someone who exits a building could get stuck on someone nearby, but I'm not sure how you managed to get stuck trying to enter it. Could you give me some more details? Were you just both trying to get in at once and one person made it in and got stuck on the other?

I tried the tutorial to fix seams when blowing up the sprites, but all it seemed to do was make the keys stop working. Tongue I'll keep chipping away at it though, and see if I can put together a non-blurry version of the game.

I'd love to do online multiplayer, but I've never done any network code before, and yeah, I'd probably have to rewrite the whole engine. Who knows for the future though?
SkyBox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 02:24:02 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something but where are the controls listed? I cannot select things in menus.

I can only enter buildings by standing near the door and using my special attack repeatedly.

This is something I've found with almost a half-dozen games from this competition, I can't find the control scheme anywhere. Am I missing something, no one else seems to have trouble finding all the controls?

EDIT: nevermind, I downloaded the game (instead of playing it on YoYo) and it has a readme with the controls. This is a pretty fun game! Unfortunately the mouse controls are very hard to use, I wish I could use WASD for movement and Mouse for attack. As it is, it's very hard to shoot in the right direction and dodge incoming attacks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 03:05:19 PM by SkyBox » Logged
Dr.Salt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »

Ack! I fixed something earlier where someone who exits a building could get stuck on someone nearby, but I'm not sure how you managed to get stuck trying to enter it.
I think that is what happened to us, so you have that sorted!
I just played it through again with some friends and we all loved it.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »

Yeah, the mouse controls are terrible, and not recommended at all for solo play. I should probably put a note about that in the game or the readme file somewhere....
Calanctus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »

This is great! I'll have to remember this next time I'm hanging out with my friends and we're looking for a party kind of game to play.

I'm having a problem though. The game worked fine the first few times I started it up, but after that it's run like it's in permanent slow motion. It doesn't seem to be eating up a huge amount of system resources (and I have 4GB of RAM anyway), so I have no idea what the problem is.
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 04:08:13 AM »

That's pretty scary! Have you been running the same version the whole time, or have you been doing Play Now? I'm just wondering if any fixes I've done could have changed something. Is the starting dungeon running slow as well?
Calanctus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »

I've been playing the downloaded bugfix version, and yeah, the slowness begins with the starting dungeon. Strangely, everything before that (like the animation of the dog and the fire in the introductory text) seems to run at normal speed.
Curseman
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »

I had fun with this.  Nice work!
ruxi
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »

pulsemeat, I want to be like you when I grow up!

Had a blast while playing this with two of my friends with two keyboards on one computer. Loved the graphics, the music choices and especially the random events with votes.

Didn't really find any bugs in the game but found few aspects little annoying as we played. First of all you can't move while you attack, making dodging missiles and such a real pain.

Second I found that casters like necromancer and adapt slow little too much when casting, making big spellcasts impossible when plaing solo against fast moving mobs and the slow moving caster channeling a big bang slowed whole party down, making us yelling at each other to stop channeling. But of course these are just my opinions.

Dungeons could be more randomized for even more replay value.

I'll keep my eyes especially on this project Blink Thumbs up from me!
Curseman
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »

I seriously think that if you guys were to add a bit more depth and variety to the core gameplay, a bit more randomization in dungeons and events, and a lot more content, you could make this into a solid WiiWare or XBLA game.

Edit:

Friars are way overpowered.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:30:42 PM by Vanguard » Logged
pulsemeat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the positivity guys! I really appreciate your support!

I still haven't been able to figure out why the game has gotten slower for you, Calanctus. I've heard a few people mention general slowdown, but nothing that changed over time. Has anyone ever heard of the SuperSound.dll slowing things down?

I share your feelings about the Friar, Vanguard. Tongue
Eyvindur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »

Thanks for the tip about the friars, Vanguard!  The bone lord totally rocked me three times before I tried it with a friar.  Then it was cake.  Pulsemeat, you should definitely fix that.  Awesome game though, it got my vote!
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »

Hey, I love this game! But the fuzzy screen-scaling was bothering me, so I fixed it. I decompiled the GMK and applied ChevyRay's screen-scaling code:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.msg86809#msg86809

It was pretty straightforward, except for the Town scaling, where I had to figure out that your code uses a ZoomIn and ZoomOut function. Once I modified those, everything was good to go. If you like, PM me and I'll email you the GMK file and can explain it in more detail. And if you don't want me distributing this, I'll take it down immediately! What I'm hosting is a replacement exe; they still need to download the full game from you first.

DOWNLOAD SMOOTH SCALED VERSION HERE

Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »

I decompiled the GMK and applied ChevyRay's screen-scaling code

I saw the link and was like "AWESOME!!" Unfortunately, when I ran it, I got that old "black-box" graphical weirdness that I first had with Spelunky.. does the problem have something to do with the screen-scaling code itself? I ran the original .exe right afterwards and there was no problem..  Huh?

Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »

I saw the link and was like "AWESOME!!" Unfortunately, when I ran it, I got that old "black-box" graphical weirdness that I first had with Spelunky.. does the problem have something to do with the screen-scaling code itself? I ran the original .exe right afterwards and there was no problem..  Huh?
I think it has to do with drawing surfaces in Game Maker (a functionality that is used in pixel-perfect scaling codes). Some video cards just don't like surfaces, so it's usually nice to provide an option/version of the game that runs without them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic