Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:47:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)"Paper doll" animation systems with bezier surfaces
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: "Paper doll" animation systems with bezier surfaces  (Read 13357 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »

i've looked into this, it's pretty hilarious -- the best triangulation algorithm is O(n), but in _every_ citing is described as "unimplementable" or "too complex to realistically implement".. reading this in a research paper is pretty hilarious/depressing.
Awesome :D

Here's a graphics gem on fast polygon triangulation, with source code.  They report it's an n*log(n) algorithm that gets close to linear time in practice, and could triangulate 100 vertices in 6.7 ms ... in '94 or '95 on an "HP Series 735" ... so perhaps it will be good enough for your purposes?  It's graphics gem code, so I believe the license is this (from http://tog.acm.org/GraphicsGems/):
"EULA: The Graphics Gems code is copyright-protected. In other words, you cannot claim the text of the code as your own and resell it. Using the code is permitted in any program, product, or library, non-commercial or commercial. Giving credit is not required, though is a nice gesture. The code comes as-is, and if there are any flaws or problems with any Gems code, nobody involved with Gems - authors, editors, publishers, or webmasters - are to be held responsible. Basically, don't be a jerk, and remember that anything free comes with no guarantee."

The "fast" grid-based algorithm I was thinking of (which creates steiner points) is basically to draw the edges as lines on a grid, but instead of drawing pixels, add the lines ID (eg "this is line number 7") to a list at that grid position.  Then run across the grid in scan lines; if you've crossed an odd number of line IDs, you're inside the object and you should make a steiner point.  If you're in the process of crossing over, you should additionally either push the grid vertex to the edge line or connect to an additional vertex created on that line.
... but that's kind of half-formed in my head, and I think the graphics gem code is better if it works.

Anyway, hope that helps!
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 08:43:12 AM »

thanks!

the triangulation code in gameswf has a really good section of comments explaining the various pros/cons of different open-source implementations (and an implementation itself), if anyone else is looking at this stuff it's something to check out.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic