Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:33:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNEW Fps Horror Experiment: The Hunt (Patched)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: NEW Fps Horror Experiment: The Hunt (Patched)  (Read 25914 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »

OH GOODNIGHT IRENE!  Tired
Why oh god why did I think about trying to make a 3d game?!

anyways, here it is.  In all its breifness: The Hunt!

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjlmnozz2m3 <- Version 1.1,  patched

I can't say much about the plot without spoiling anything but lets call it a.. Prologue?

It's also probably pretty buggy.  Runs fine on several computers ive tested, but my Netbook spaces all the tiles out by 200% and makes everything look even weirder.  I really don't know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to 3d code so be a tad lenient with me if it's going nutso on you. If I can stabilize it more, I will Smiley

anyways, its super short, but I hope you like it.
-Amon26
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:07:22 PM by Amon26 » Logged
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:21:31 PM »

Sad nobody likey?
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:27:44 AM »

Well, I sure as hell don't!

Nah it's the most fun FPS I've played since Crysis (a category numbering ~10 games, so I'm impressed). I love the minimal yet informative visuals and audio. Most things from the intentionally poor draw distance, to the enemy and player movement speeds, are quite well judged. The plot twists are great, even though one of them is ripped straight out of Doom's E1M8 (spoiler). Definitely wanna see more of this.

The only thing I didn't like was the tight field of view, somewhere around 70 degrees. While this does heighten the sense of vulnerability that's so important in this game, it just looks bad, and necessitates a frequency of left-right scanning just ridiculous in some of the more open areas. Maybe there's a better way of restricting the view? Not that I have any brilliant ideas. Also, it'd be nice if there were a way to tell from which direction you're getting munched on: in some places it's really hard to ensure no monsters slip through your defences.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:13 AM »

Ha, well thanks for trying it out Baiame!

As for the Field Of View, there's no specific reason for its tightness other than me not knowing how to widen it Sad

I'm really green to this whole concept of 3 dimensions.  I was trying to do a quick hack to make a pain-indicator but it was getting too long-winded for me to justify spending more time on (i made the rule if i spent more than 3 days on it, i'd scrap the whole thing)

So If I could get some more turbo-noob help regarding gamemaker7's 3d variables maybe i can fix some of these problems.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:44:07 AM »

I can tell you're new to 3D. There are some annoying things in the game. First of all, your textures must be powers of 2 (2,4,8,16,32,64 etc) in width and height. Right now the textures will look completely messed up on about half of all graphics cards.

Second, you get stuck when you walk against a wall (very easy to fix). There might be more problems, but I was unable to play for more than a minute or so because I couldn't really tell what was going on.

Will try again if you fix it Beer!
David W Wilson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »

I didn't have any problems with it, except that the bloody static that covers the screen when you get hit a few times didn't quite fill the entire screen sometimes, but I couldn't tell whether this was intentional or not.

I liked the game, I was playing it at night by myself with the lights out and got properly scared. Those shakey guys that move fast and kind of look like they are wearing suits are good and creepy.

I too was a bit annoyed with the hordes of guys that come at you from all directions when you're in an open area, I kept having dudes sneak up on me. Maybe if they made a noise that gets louder when they get close it might fix that problem without having to try and make the field of view larger? Silent Hill style.

I didn't get stuck on the walls because I didn't try rubbing on them.

I wonder what a top down view would look like? Might be easier than using 3d in GML, but might not achieve the same effect.

Keep up the good work!
increpare
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »

all of the walls/&c. are floating in mid-air.  : (
increpare
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »

Okay. Managed to get through it all the same.  It quite put me on edge - I kept on spinning around to detect these enemies, then would invariably end up disoriented and following the blood trails in the wrong direction : P
undertech
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »

Gave me goosebumps  Epileptic

End reminded me of the end of Doom Ep1, but way crazier. Pretty good stuff!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »

The sound effects and dark atmosphere really made it creepy, even though I was virtually overpowered, I was still creeped out.

I got stuck on a few walls on accident, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:06:03 AM »

fixing the textures as cactus advised (much thanks)
Ill upload a new version soon.

should i spend a little time stretching the journey out a tad?  I have maybe 1 or 2 ideas for things.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »

Well this is really short, so a few more levels wouldn't hurt. I would certainly enjoy more though.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »

lets see what shakes loose.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 07:04:49 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjlmnozz2m3

Fixed for everyone else!

If I do extra stuff, it'll be singular games tho illustrate the fates of others in AuSable's world.  Lots of bad dreams lately.
Fuzz
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »

haven't played this yet, but if it's as good as i expect it will be then it's going to get frontpaged for sure! (yes, somehow i'm a tigs editor now)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »

oh boy, the trolls are going to have a field day with this one then :D
Fuzz
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 02:04:57 AM »

frontpaged now, although i think the trolls will take issue more with my ultra-pretentious writing style than the game itself. Cheesy
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:58 AM »

i personally like to apply about 3 layers of pretentious to everything i make.  Ofcourse, making sure each layer has dried properly before applying the next.  Also I run my work through a hack-processor.  Those unfamiliar with the term, it's simply a way to take a fully pretentious product and display it through heavily-tread methods (i.e first person shooters, platformers, shmups)  and I make sure to minimize physics.   Once all that is done i go have myself a tall glass of paint-thinner, then masturbate to nude photos of marlon brando.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:00 AM »

This was excellent! I actually enjoyed it more than AOOFAD or Au Sable. It freaked me out a few times, which sadly your previous games didn't manage to do. I have a feeling the tension created by first person perspective is mainly to thank for this.

Playing this has made me look forward to what you come up with the future a lot more. Which is pretty good, as previously I was in a state where I'd play pretty much anything you released.
cjhyde
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 06:13:45 AM »

nice one. the atmosphere + sound are really great. controls a little clunky at times, but very enjoyable overall. I'd play more if there were more levels...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic