Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:36:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNEW Fps Horror Experiment: The Hunt (Patched)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: NEW Fps Horror Experiment: The Hunt (Patched)  (Read 25945 times)
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 07:40:35 AM »

Very nice and atmospheric  Smiley
Not sure if any more levels would suit it without more things to do, though. Perhaps some classis find the blue key for the blue door fps stuff.

Reminded me of the 'underground' prison level in silent hill 2 for some reason.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »

Played it through and it was pretty creepy!  I liked it. I didnt have too much of a problem with the enemies as long as I approached cautiously.  Nice work!

Fuzz
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »

is it possible to kill all the enemies in the last room? i was surrounded and killed, triggering an ending, but it seems like there's a possibility of a very good player surviving.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »

mabye, but that would sort of break the ending.  I think I ended up killing them all once with an earlier version.

starting a 2nd short one from another perspective

there will be no gun.
klembot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »

I'm curious, why the switch to 2.5d? Just playing with genre, or something about the game content that made you decide to use it instead of the side scroller?

I will never reveal the twofold secret.
falsion
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 02:57:54 PM »

I played it, got lost. Walked around for a bit and then gave up.

The gun needs a better sound effect though. It sounds odd to hear a 2D platform game-esque gun sound effect coming from a 3D first person game, it really breaks the immersion.

I know it sounds silly, but FPS games are a whole different animal and even the most minor detail can break the feeling of immersion you get from them. Though everything else was pretty much spot-on. I especially love the ambient sound effects.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »

i started it just so I could break the ice with 3d.  I'm real bad at 3d, it intimidates me.  But while experimenting, I plugged some AuSable textures in and began learning how to manipulate the fog, the entities, and screen-wipes.  I started to ask myself "Is there something here?  Would it be worth spending 2 days to see where this idea goes?"  So, much like AOOFAD way back last year, I just kinda stumbled into it and thought maybe I had enough stuff to entertain an audience.

I don't expect this to be anything more than a couple more experiments, if they're good I'll put them out as other "side-stories" in the AuSable world.  If they aren't I'll chalk it up to experience and resume work on the space-game. (which is still being developed)
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »

Amon26, nice to see you finally got feedback from more than one person, and congrats for making the frontpage yet again. As for the FOV thing, I've never used Game Maker but I get lots of results just searching "game maker field of view", like this. While for such short games it isn't very important, you might be able to improve the experience considerably just by tweaking one constant. So I think it's worth the effort.

The next one looks much more visually pleasing, at least. Looking forward to it.
klembot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »

Interesting, I like it simply because there's always the possibility that something is sneaking up on you, whereas with a 2d platformer, you more or less see everything. Just FYI, I think I broke the final level by the equivalent of circle strafing (e.g. hold down Z, shift, and the right arrow). I killed everything except, it seemed like, one last enemy which seemed invulnerable -- I'd see the explosion effect when I shot at it but it stuck around. I don't consider myself that great of an FPS player, either. Eventually I let it touch me and the game ended, which I'm guessing was not the effect you were shooting for.

I will never reveal the twofold secret.
Twitch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 01:00:09 AM »

I love the atmosphere in this! Very creepy, especially that thing which appeared behind the corner and ran away. Where did it go anyway?
Jvie
Level 0

-

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »

First of all, this is the only game I can name that has made me feel genuinely scared. Other horror games are usually just somewhat creepy at best or go for cheap scares but your work is actually unsettling and intriguing.

I just wish to tell you that I greatly appreciate the fact that you went through the effort to make these games.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »

To be honest, I didn't like this game too much. I really wanted to like it, since I adored the hell out of AOOFAD and Au Sable, and any game that clarifies the plot of Au Sable should, in theory, be the greatest thing.

But, to me, this game didn't have anywhere near the atmosphere of those games. At first it was spooky and unnerving, but then it just started feeling like the Game Maker FPS tutorial with Au Sable sprites. The ending was nice and unexpected, though; it did something unusual, unlike the rest ofthe game, which was mostly typical scenes.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »

Beer! Coffee Beer! Coffee Beer! Coffee
Thanks everyone!  I'm happy you like it!

Paint by Numbers, the truth isn't all that far from it being just GM7 FPS example + AuSable Sprites.  I mean, don't get me wrong, there's more to it than that.  However, I just tried to see what would happen if I did a FPS approach to horror.  So it was basically done for fun.  
Never set out to "win them all"

I'm Glad you liked AOOFAD/Ausable tho.  Don't let this spoil the experience for the previous games too much.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

Paint by Numbers, the truth isn't all that far from it being just GM7 FPS example + AuSable Sprites.  I mean, don't get me wrong, there's more to it than that.  However, I just tried to see what would happen if I did a FPS approach to horror.  So it was basically done for fun. 
Never set out to "win them all"

I'm Glad you liked AOOFAD/Ausable tho.  Don't let this spoil the experience for the previous games too much.

I'm sorry. Looking over my previous post, I come across as a bit of a dick. Sad The only real problem with the Hunt is its lack of polish, which I think is more noticeable in 3D games. But that's not really an issue, since as you say it's not meant to be perfect.

Keep up the cool, Amon26, you are an awesome dude and you shouldn't let anyone tell you different. Including me.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 12:02:14 AM »

This game was pretty unnerving.  It's not often I get to see old-school 3D!  Kiss

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
FungusTrooper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »

Ugh, this is the only game I've played in a long time where I kept saying "please let it end, please let it end!". I love creepy games, but I hate actually being scared, and this game was scary. The darkness, the limited view, the slowness of turning and shooting, all adds up to be a terrifying combination.

The ending is pretty abrupt and I wasn't sure if it was actually a game over screen, as I hadn't died up until that point. But apart from that good show! Looking forward to the no-gun game, as I think exploration and scares in this viewpoint without combat would be excellent.
Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »

I just made some fanart for the game, of one of those flying things:

ACTION-52-51114E85

ellasar777
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »

I literally joined for your work, Amon26. This, as with all your work, scared me witless. Hope to see more, though, I hope your nightmares aren't getting too bad. Grin
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

Whoa, that's the first time I've ever felt scared of a video game in a long time.
And it accomplishes it with old skool graphics an sound nonetheless!

Personally I think it's mostly because you can't see far/wide, or hear your foes approach.
tmth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:29 AM »

Back from the past!
My goodness. That was intense. Scary, but in a good way, not falling back on the olde screamer-scheme.

Its shortness helped get through, though. ("It'll soon be over, it'll soon be over, hey what is thi-" *adrenal glands explode*)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic