Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:48:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingstrangers
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: strangers  (Read 32589 times)
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 06:41:49 AM »

Hehe, brilliant. Really nice twist on moral choices! I could easily see this game expanding it's story in the same manner Hand Joystick

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »

Enjoyed. The last fellow's speech would have been more believable if I had 'ran out of bullets' before meeting him, though. Good idea and a good execution, nonetheless.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »

Very nice.   Beer!   Good style.  I very much liked the song i was told to listen to while playing.

Although i know what you're getting at, maybe this is more of a commentary on shooter games and people's expectations of what a shooter game entails--which is blasting everything--than a commentary on what people do when given a gun and set loose on an alien planet.  

Though, thinking about it again, upon meeting an alien race, i would probably be more willing to shoot first than ask questions because they are not human and it's much easier to distance yourself emotionally from beings that are not human until they display some human-like qualities.

Regardless, i do enjoy these sorts of moral choices in games and feel like there should be more like this.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Corbald
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »

I enjoyed the experience and congratulate you! However, I must agree with an earlier poster. This doesn't so much relate to human psychology in general, or as it would relate to the situation depicted. Rather it says something about YOUR expectations. You were looking for a specific response, so seeded the testing area with cues specifically tailored to invoke that response. Your main character begins the game with his weapon drawn. The first being he encounters -jumps- at him, acting aggressively right off the bat. The dark setting was (I'm assuming) set up to invoke a specific emotional response. Also, this says something significant about the psychology of a game player. I have noticed over years of designing and playing games with my friends, that it is possible to greatly influence a players decisions with only minor cues/pokes/prods. As a simple example, some time ago I was experimenting with a Mario style platformer. I found that players would refuse to jump down a hole, even if given no other alternative. They had been trained by Mario to avoid holes in the ground at all costs. I see some similar conditioning here. Hopefully you can use something here for your class!
FiaStarta
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 11:49:58 AM »

This looks so awesome, but is there a way I can work around the fact that my keyboard is AZERTY? (changing Windows' default keyboard language doesn't work).

same here, I wish that today's independent game devs were aware that our keyboards have ARROW KEYS, 2 sets of them on top of it.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »

for object Talk:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
Sad i really want to play this. Most GM games work fine...

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »

I felt bad at the end of this...

but nice overall.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 04:38:06 PM »

I guess you get the same ending regardless of going rambo or not. Meh.  Shrug
Well done
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:44:57 PM by necromian » Logged
Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »

This looks so awesome, but is there a way I can work around the fact that my keyboard is AZERTY? (changing Windows' default keyboard language doesn't work).

same here, I wish that today's independent game devs were aware that our keyboards have ARROW KEYS, 2 sets of them on top of it.
Yeah, seriously. I don't understand why everyone hates the poor arrow keys.
falsion
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »

Arrow keys are kinda awkward to use with mouse aiming unless you are a southpaw. Otherwise you have to position your left hand in a really cramped position to press keys that you'd normally hit with your right.
whtrbt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »

I liked it!  Short and sweet.

The alien design is a perfect balance between menacing and adorable - of course I panicked when they first came leaping at me, and started firing off rounds!

I'm a big fan of Battles, the band that wrote the song you've included.  I saw them live and realised just how complex their set up is - a lot of software running at the same time as the instruments.  At Big Day Out 2009 in Melbourne, one of the guitarists was playing with a burst eardrum... wearing earmuffs. :D

Not sure if it's okay that you're offering their music for download, but hopefully it gets some people interested and leads to a few album sales for them.

Seth
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 12:59:39 AM »

I've complained about this before (spoilers):

Is that really the big twist to Braid?  Are all games good for is saying "Aha, you thought you were winning the game but it turns you're  a bad guy!"?  I think that's a pretty cheap move, even if was revealed in a pretty sophisticated way.  It seems to me basically like the Danish domestic violence game people were complaining about.

and I still feel the same way about this game.  Honestly it's the twist I expect most with video games.
MaloEspada
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 05:10:19 AM »

oh man, nice experience
i dont usually like "art games" but this one is so nice

and so sad : (
disperse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »

God, I felt like such a dick...

An extremely well done short-form game.  I am especially impressed that you put the effort into making the controls responsive and the gun satisfying to shoot.  You even added a jetpack even though it ends up being meaningless in the context of the game.  I don't think the twist would have been as effective if the game didn't make me believe there was more to it.
FiaStarta
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Arrow keys are kinda awkward to use with mouse aiming unless you are a southpaw

what's really awkward is when you own an AZERTY, just see where WSAD are:

I wouldn't even mind WSAD if the game was using key scancodes, that is, if it was using the location of those keys rather than the real keys.

Anyway it's not just this game, it's a recent trend in independent games. I hate it, it's ok for this short game, but some games are totally ruined by this.

Besides, I'm right-handed but I play all FPSes using arrow keys, the numpad actually (quite handy for all the surrounding keys). I just move my keyboard to the left so that I have the left hand naturally on the numpad. I know lots of people are doing this.
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »

for object Talk:

Trying to use non-existing surface.
Sad i really want to play this. Most GM games work fine...

I got this same error, never had that problem before.  Really wanted to play this too.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 03:28:49 AM »

i don't care if the aliens were harmless rabbits made of chocolate and love - if i landed on a planet with a kick-ass laser, a jetpack and an astro-dog i'd be manifesting destiny all over the shop
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:57 AM »

VERY, VERY VERY GOOD!!
I am publishing a post about it too, on the blog of my game (http://ufho.blogspot.com), although it will go live on the 16 of February (it's scheduled)
Good work man!!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 05:12:44 AM »

Nice, but as far as gaymes go, this one twist is starting to become a bit cliche.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:34 AM »

Yes, maybe, but here it's executed very well, and with the right lenght for a "quick-play-and-go" experience.
Also, the graphical style is very good.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic