Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:54:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingstrangers
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: strangers  (Read 32591 times)
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »

Music was good.

Game was too predictable as the aliens did not hurt you. The second I got hit and did not get hurt I pretty much figured out what the game was about.

Being critical here. You need to get more emotionally involved before you sever the connection with the twist which may or may not take more than a 5 minute game for some people.

edit: like for example, give Mondo Agency or Stallions of America or... Life is a Race or You found the grappling hook a try. Particularly the first two.

edit: also how could I forget SPACEFUCK!
falsion
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »

Arrow keys are kinda awkward to use with mouse aiming unless you are a southpaw

what's really awkward is when you own an AZERTY, just see where WSAD are:

I wouldn't even mind WSAD if the game was using key scancodes, that is, if it was using the location of those keys rather than the real keys.

Anyway it's not just this game, it's a recent trend in independent games. I hate it, it's ok for this short game, but some games are totally ruined by this.

Besides, I'm right-handed but I play all FPSes using arrow keys, the numpad actually (quite handy for all the surrounding keys). I just move my keyboard to the left so that I have the left hand naturally on the numpad. I know lots of people are doing this.

Well, for FPS games you can remap them to ZSQD, couldn't you? That'd be a much better alternative.

You're actually missing a lot of keys if you play that way. Especially for games that bind things like capturing map objectives to shortcut keys located next to where WASD (or ZSQD in your case) would be. Then again, you'd have to remap those too.
shipwreck
Level 0

Run and shoot, shoot and run.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 08:28:30 AM »

What a cool little game! You need to release a sequel asap.
Ryx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 05:02:57 PM »

I think I am smarter than this game (which is trying to be smarter than me)
I didn't shoot any of the aliens and the game still tried to make me feel guilty, the text when you shoot aliens and when you don't shoot aliens is the same, which I think is stupid.

When I first started playing I went "Oh, I have a gun. This is an indie game. Shooting them is probably a bad idea." so I didn't. And the ending was dumb and didn't make any sense because I didn't shoot any of them. Why are his children missing? I didn't do anything to them.

I liked the dog though.
Deusoma
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 06:48:25 PM »

Did I miss something? I was eagerly waiting for the enemies to show up, but then the game ended. I figured the big alien blob lady would be attacked or something and I'd have to defend her, but no, nothing happened.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 04:22:02 AM »

I think I am smarter than this game (which is trying to be smarter than me)
I didn't shoot any of the aliens and the game still tried to make me feel guilty, the text when you shoot aliens and when you don't shoot aliens is the same, which I think is stupid.

When I first started playing I went "Oh, I have a gun. This is an indie game. Shooting them is probably a bad idea." so I didn't. And the ending was dumb and didn't make any sense because I didn't shoot any of them. Why are his children missing? I didn't do anything to them.

Oh, come on, it's obvious that the author didn't have time or resources to build two ends for the game. Anyway, 99.9% of the players will shoot at least one alien, and this is the point of the game.
If you didn't, well, you're a perfect pacifist! But you can't blame the game Smiley

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 07:20:56 AM »

hey the aliens are just hiding if you dont kill them, it doesn't mention they being dead.

SO YOUR WRONG, WRONG I TEL YUO

FiaStarta
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:13 AM »

Well, for FPS games you can remap them to ZSQD, couldn't you? That'd be a much better alternative.
You're actually missing a lot of keys if you play that way.

I never ran out of keys using the numpad in any FPS. There are 23 keys there.. 0 to jump, . to crouch, 1 3 to side look, 4 6 to move, Enter to reload, 5 to use, the top line for various items, the 6 keys on the left for weapons, it's all perfect as those keys are perfectly lined up vertically, which the alpha keys aren't.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 02:16:04 AM »

hey the aliens are just hiding if you dont kill them, it doesn't mention they being dead.

SO YOUR WRONG, WRONG I TEL YUO

Ah ah... Game devs advocate! Smiley

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 06:01:36 AM »

Nice game! Reminds me of a game I made, but judging by some of the comments in this thread, twists like this are actually pretty common.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »

Saying that this game will "hopefully teach you something about humanity" is fairly banal, in my opinion. What is it supposed to teach? That people are horrible violent creatures?

If you're some guy and you see a horrific alien or creature coming towards you, chances are you'd shoot at them from survival instinct. This doesn't seem like an unknown, since it's pretty commonplace.

As for the game, it's pretty interesting. I do like the concept of not killing the aliens, even though I think that saying it will teach you something about humanity is stupid. It's a pretty standard game reversal move. The graphics are nice, the music is cool (I love Battles) and overall it was alright.

I do wish you could jet up farther.
Hockey kid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:31 AM »

I especially like the cloud on the jetpack, but I must agree that the concept of the game had to be better exposed.

It can't rain forever... but you can play hockey inside while waiting!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic