Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:55:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesblatant clone of a nifflas game on the iphone
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Author Topic: blatant clone of a nifflas game on the iphone  (Read 52012 times)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2010, 04:10:24 PM »

Yeah it's clear many people here think its very offensive Smiley

the biggest add i see is its availability on the Iphone.

I don't think mobilebros is hiding anything though.
from their blog:
We’ve seen that many have been comparing Trundle with the up and coming Night Sky game for the wii. Although, similar in artistic style these are two very different games with no affiliation with each other…. I have to add though that Night Sky looks purely awesome.

And for those interested, here are a few of the games that did inspire us during the creation of Trundle:

Limbo
Feist
Red Ball
Rolando

I'm sure there would be no competition which is the better game
thats one thing i am sure of too!

but. Wait:

Hayden Scott-Baron where exactly does taking inspiration end, and building upon design foundation begin ?
And on a side note: Why? Says who?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:19:48 PM by nikki » Logged
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

Slembcke, it's great that you've made your physics engine and helped so many developers get their games together. People like you are doing a lot of good for the industry.

Nikki, I'm glad that you are keen to defend people's rights to create whatever they want to. 

Clearly many people find it okay, and obviously there are other cases of this in the world. There's little point in me addressing rhetorical or indefinable moral questions. I've said as much as is worth saying, I apologise for letting this subject run in circles for a while longer. 

twitter: @docky
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2010, 04:37:10 PM »

Hayden Scott-Baron Its sweet you feel the need to apologise, no need for that though.
I've found this shady company that ripped/cloned/borrowed/shared/stole/hommaged your tumbledrop character.
And made hairpins out of it  Well, hello there!
Maybe you could take some action against that?

[/poke]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:40:29 PM by nikki » Logged
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »

Those on the Nintendo Starman design, not the Tumbledrop star. I took care not to infringe upon Nintendo's design. But I appreciate your hilarious joke.

twitter: @docky
Kepa
« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »

I heard Tumbledrop is a pretty blatant Blopo clone.

(slowly raising hand up for high five)

The iPhone's pretty big on shameless clones.  I recently saw the second or third OvenBreak clone.  This is really weird, because I don't think the original OvenBreak was even that successful.

The biggest iPhone game publisher seems to mostly rely on clones of console FPS games.  Outsourced labor, possibly no actual game designer on board.  It's pretty nutty.

That said, my next iPhone game is going to be a blatant, frame-by-frame ripoff of Yume Nikki.  However, I'm going to market it as a Megaman clone.  It'll be known as "Mega Mann".
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 09, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »

By the way, It was changed to look a little less Night Sky-y: http://appshopper.com/games/trundle

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »

here's the new pinwheel scene with the new gear character (upper right):

compared to the old one with the original character:
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2010, 06:46:42 AM »

Furthermore, when do ideas become common enough that it is Ok to use them?

I have two answers for you:

A) under U.S. copyright law, ideas are never protectible--only expression is protected. Copying art work that someone else has made is not copying ideas, however--it is copying expression. ("Style," on the other hand, falls on the idea side of the line.)

B) You seem to be trying to talk about things that are in the public domain. Basically, you can copy expression with impunity once the copyright runs out, because the work then enters the public domain. Right now (don't quote me on this) I believe it lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. By contrast, it's worth noting that the courts come down especially hard on people that violate the copyright of works that are still unreleased! (Here is the Supreme Court smacking around somebody that published a portion of ex-president Ford's unreleased memoirs without his permission.)

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

After playing trundle, I fear it has no soul.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2010, 01:20:55 AM »

Funny how the terrain remains exactly the same... just grass is different. Carbon copy much?
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:21 AM »

They're just black silhouette land tiles  Shrug As far as cloning goes, Id say they're the least important thing to worry about, I might use black terrain in my game.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic