Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:51:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesblatant clone of a nifflas game on the iphone
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: blatant clone of a nifflas game on the iphone  (Read 52017 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »

I think  this is fine.

Here are some reasons:

1. They are only superficially similar. They have a similar art style and a similar game-play style. But Nightgame, based on that trailer, has deeper game-play puzzles, a more varied art style and environments and 'vehicles'.

2. Two similar games with similar puzzles means I get more puzzles, when I buy both. It isn't like buying one prevents you from getting the other.

3. They are on 2 different platforms. they aren't even competing in the same place.

This isn't like that other time when the guy re-released the same game with the same art-style and the same puzzles. These are different games, in every way but 2.

Not that it makes it right, but outright copying happens EVERYWHERE, even in scientific research. I've heard stories of prominent people in fields anonymously denying publication in journals so that they can publish the research as their own. This happens frequently and blatantly.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »

I guess that's a lesson in not showing your work too early?

I'd like to point out that a bit of copying is necessary for the industry to survive.  On the other hand, this is pretty blatant - that video pretty much sealed it for me.

What a shame...

@chrknudson
Neat little story!  

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »

completely ripped, but do you believe a lawyer could make a case ?
hasnt got much to do with copyrights,trademark or infringements as far as i can tell..

it's just how culture works i think.
you have the early birds, after that the ones who make the  Hand Money Right, then the followers.
nifflas better hurry or he'll be the copycat in mainstreams mind.

atleast now ive heard of nightsky.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 09:45:59 AM »

This is like saying Equilibrium is a blatant clone of the Matrix.

EDIT: After only watching the teaser trailers.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »

Also: The respawning thing. Night Sky doesn't seem to do the respawning thing.

Hey Eric, you can take over for me. This topic is too much of a pain to try and deal with.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »

completely ripped, but do you believe a lawyer could make a case ?
hasnt got much to do with copyrights,trademark or infringements as far as i can tell...

Oh, this has everything to do with copyrights! As a plaintiff suing for copyright infringment in the United States, you have to prove two things by a preponderance of the evidence: (1) the defendant copied your work; and (2) the works at issue are substantially similar to one another. Bearing in mind that I don't know all the facts, it seems to me that Nicalis could at least have a colorable claim here, to say nothing of actually winning in court.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »

A lawyer could always make a case, the problem is wether it's winnable or not, but that's not his problem.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
mirosurabu
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

I think that the most important thing to prove is that the Trundle developers heard of Night Sky before or during the development of Trundle.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »

Which would be an incredibly difficult thing to do unless they admitted it. I don't know how difficult suing them would be, I was just thinking they could at least attempt to get it pulled from the App Store.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »

It's a shitty thing that they drew so much "inspiration" from Night Sky, but it'd be an equally shitty thing to try to get it pulled from the app store. It's not the exact same game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »

that and it's free.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »

I think that the most important thing to prove is that the Trundle developers heard of Night Sky before or during the development of Trundle.

That's just the first element; you have to prove both to win. Luckily, though, you don't need a taped confession in order to prove that someone's been exposed to your work in the past. Circumstantial evidence counts. So courts have found copying even where the defendant says, in all honesty, that he doesn't remember having seen or heard the work. If he unconsciously picked up on something and copied it by accident, that's enough to satisfy the copying element. There's a term for this: innocent infringement. If I remember correctly, in those cases, you can usually get an injunction, but no damages.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »

Wow. That's really rude. You do realize that Seumas McNally winners frequent these boards, right?
Chill, not being serious.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »

Oh, okay. Sorry--it's hard to tell sometimes with people on the forums. Embarrassed

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »

To the people defending the game on the astronomical odds that this could have happened coincidentally and without prior knowledge of Night Sky, I'll say it is indeed possible but is it probable for:

1) the game to use similar silhouette style graphics?

2) the game to use similar ambient style music?

and

3) the game to employ similar gameplay mechanics?

No, that is just silly. I would have a harder time dismissing this if the game had only employed one, maybe two of these at the most by "chance", but to have all of these same elements just screams rip off.

An extremely blatant one at that.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »

Except that the game mechanics appear to be noticeably different.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »

Except that the game mechanics appear to be noticeably different.

The mechanics might be slightly different but I don't think that they are distinct enough to say that they weren't "inspired" by Night Sky. Hell, I could make a Mario clone where Mario shoots lasers out of his arse and the mechanics would be different.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »

It's not just the graphical style and gameplay in general which are similar, but especially the details. The glow inside the ball which rotates along with it, the twirly plants, the way the grass looks and moves, the blue/orange gradient background, etc. The kind of objects placed in the levels, the windmill, notably the "vehicles", and more.
If anything, a lot of details are surprisingly close to Night Sky. So much so that I think it's most unlikely that it wasn't the main inspiration.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2010, 06:36:35 PM »

Yeah, it may be the inspiration. He did indeed point out that Night Sky looked "amazing". So okay, let's look at it from your angle. So maybe he did rip it off. There's still no problem. He's in an entirely different market, there's some very obvious differences, the pricing is different, the levels are different... seems like there's a lot of differences. I don't see why, even if they are similar, they can't coexist.

But hey, while we're at it, we should all band together against The Underside! How dare he make a game that's like Cave Story!

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »

Who's to say it's not the other way around?  Who, Me?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic