Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:41:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRogueLight - Small Combat-less Roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RogueLight - Small Combat-less Roguelike  (Read 5156 times)
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »

Hi all.  Well here goes.  This is my first game of hopefully many more (better ones Smiley).

RogueLight is a small combat-less coffee break roguelike.  The aim of the game is to escape the 25 randomly generated levels while looting treasure and trying to keep your torch burning.

SCREENS:

YOUTUBE VID:

CONTROLS & INFO

Arrows - Move Character
X - Calls Up The Map
Z - Action - Stood next to chest open
- Again to collect gold
- Exit while in front of exit stairs
- While next to a flame add energy to the torch you're carrying.

Menu:

New Game - Will generate 25 new levels for you to play (takes a couple of minutes or so)
Last Levels - Will play the last set of generated levels from the beginning
Stats - Will randomly show some of the games statistics
Level Share & Achievements aren't in yet.

Play it at GameJolt - http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/rpg/roguelight/1425/

Credit to Oddball for the font.

Well thats it.  Hope someone out there likes it or part of it.  It's still in development but is almost complete so didn't post in the DevLog section.  Any feedback would be great - good, bad or indifferent and will hopefully help me improve my game making.

Thanks.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »

Hehe. I watch the vid before reading the blurb and didn't even notice it was mine. The game looks interesting. I'm a big fan of 'pick up and play' games so I'll be checking this out next time I'm on my Windows machine.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »

I like the game and the concept, and my only real complaint is that each level piece is a 6x6 area connected by a 2 tile wide connecting hallway, this makes for boring levels. something like this would be much more interesting:

Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:02:55 AM »

Hehe. I watch the vid before reading the blurb and didn't even notice it was mine. The game looks interesting. I'm a big fan of 'pick up and play' games so I'll be checking this out next time I'm on my Windows machine.

I'd love to hear what you think of it if you get chance to play it on your Windows comp.

I like the game and the concept, and my only real complaint is that each level piece is a 6x6 area connected by a 2 tile wide connecting hallway, this makes for boring levels. something like this would be much more interesting:

Thanks for playing allen.  I agree that the dungeons can be boring, but I went with this setup because of my inexperience & to add a sort of claustraphobic feeling.

RogueLight was a sort test to see if I could make a bigger, more Roguelike erm Roguelike.  With combat, leveling and a more interesting dungeon layout as in the picture.

Again thanks for trying it out.

Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:15:43 AM »

RogueLight was a sort test to see if I could make a bigger, more Roguelike erm Roguelike.  With combat [...]

Heh. I'm currently trying to design a combat-less and still interesting dungeon based game - you have one and want to add combat. So different ideas can be Tongue

Per aspera ad astra
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »

Unfortunately I was unable to test this because the game doesn't seem to be able to accept keyboard/mouse input while inside of a sandbox.  However, judging from the video alone, it seems to be a fun little game.  It certainly looks much better than the first one I created! Keep up the good work Smiley

From the looks of it, this could make a good horror game with a few changes.  You have no way to fight back, and you can see the monsters at the edge of the darkness just waiting for your torch to go out...  A very well done effect indeed.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:55 AM »

Greatly reminds me of TinyCrawl, only even more streamlined and simplified. Even uses sprites by the same guy. So far I really like it! Not a lot of depth, but the need to manage both searching for gold and your torch meter is a cool gameplay mechanic, and it's balanced really well.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:32 PM »

Never, ever use ZXC controls if they aren't configurable. German keyboards are QWERTZ, meaning the ZXC row is actually YXC, making for some very akward controls.
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »

Thanks to all who commented.

@Hajo - I think non-combat Roguelikes can be fun and interesting.  After finishing off RogueLight I would like to make a more traditional Roguelike now I've upped my experience a bit.

@InvisibleMan - Sorry you were unable to play Sad.  I'm guessing Sandbox is a type of virtual machine.  The monsters at the edge of the layout were there to hopefully express to the player what would happen to them when the torch went out, without actually showing the actual event.  I think it adds a bit of tension to the game.

@Dragonmaw - Thanks.  I was thinking of stuff to add more depth to the game, whilst keeping it basic & break time in length.  But most of my ideas tended to take away from the speed & panic mechanic of the game.  Although any suggestions on adding a bit more depth would be great.

@Core Xii - Yeah sorry about that.  I always forget about other keyboard layouts - I'll add more options.  Although due to the simplistic nature of the game I don't think it's totally unplayable with z & x as default keys.  Again I'll add more options or add key config.

Again thanks to anyone who played & commented.

Smiley

Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »

@Hajo - I think non-combat Roguelikes can be fun and interesting.  After finishing off RogueLight I would like to make a more traditional Roguelike now I've upped my experience a bit.

Some years ago, I had been working on a RPG project which was much inspired by roguelikes. Since those days I have been collection RPG design ideas and snippets in a kind of a library:
http://www.funkelwerk.de/library/index.php?n=Library.Catalog

Maybe you can draw something useful from it Smiley

Per aspera ad astra
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »

Some years ago, I had been working on a RPG project which was much inspired by roguelikes. Since those days I have been collection RPG design ideas and snippets in a kind of a library:
http://www.funkelwerk.de/library/index.php?n=Library.Catalog

Maybe you can draw something useful from it Smiley

Thank you.  I'll have a read through for some ideas & tips, for RogueLight and any future games.

Thanks again.

Tapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »

Looks neat and the monsters are creepy in a good way Tongue

Unfortunately Wine was unable to run it on Linux so I have to postpone testing until I get the motivation to boot to Windows. Any chance of you using OpenGL or some cross-platform framework in the future?
Mr.Flibble
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »

Looks neat and the monsters are creepy in a good way Tongue

Unfortunately Wine was unable to run it on Linux so I have to postpone testing until I get the motivation to boot to Windows. Any chance of you using OpenGL or some cross-platform framework in the future?

Sorry it doesn't work under Wine.

No chance of croos-platform at the moment (I'm not a "real" programmer Cheesy), I use Construct and it's DirectX only at the minute.

Thanks for the reply though.

Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic