Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:25:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid WorkPaid Work Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Paid Work Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)  (Read 46842 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2010, 03:15:01 AM »

Hand Money Left The Paid Work Rules Hand Money Right

Rule #1: State your intent to pay for the requested work. Revenue share does not count.
It must be crystal clear that you intend to compensate your employee(s)/freelancer(s). It is not necessary to disclose the amount, but it cannot be revenue share alone. If your intent is to only offer revenue share, then your offer should be posted in the Collaborations board. Failure to comply to this rule will get your job offer post deleted.

Rule #2: Use the appropriate message icons to represent the kind of work you are offering.
There are three kinds of work positions to be offered; Art, Programming and Music. The small icons represent Contract Work, while the big ones represent Full-Time Positions. Using these icons will allow potential freelancers/employees to better identify the positions they want to apply to.

Handy table, made by a guy named Craig:

-ArtistProgrammerMusician
Contract Work
Full-Time Position

Rule #3: Be very specific, and specify the licensing of the work.
Avoid being vague. Give as much detail as possible in your thread, and make sure to specify the licensing you intend to apply to the contracted work. Providing details on the agreement you intend to have signed is also strongly encouraged. It is important for the employee/freelancer to know this information upfront, so you will be notified if you fail to comply to this rule.

Rule #4: Avoid posting job offers if you have no gamedev experience.
There have been multiple instances in the past of people posting offers for both paid and unpaid work while themselves having no experience making games. These projects generally ended in disaster and wasted colossal amounts of time for those involved. If you've never made a game before, but want to hire people to make a game for you, please do not do that. You will likely waste people's time making something that will never make it onto the market. This is not meant to be discouraging or harsh, it is fact. People who lack experience and leadership lead their teams to their eventual doom.

Rule #5: Don't get angry if people ask questions.
Artists, Programmers and Composers all want to know what they're getting into. If you get upset by people asking questions about your project, that may reflect poorly on yourself. Instead, try to answer questions in a civil manner. As a side note, if people are being rude in your thread, they might be in the wrong for violating forum rules of conduct, so you can contact an Administrator or a Moderator to have them resolve the situation.

Rule #6: Off topic threads will be deleted without notice.
Posting portfolios, collaboration offers or anything off topic in this board is prohibited, and is punishable by thread deletion.

PS: When applying
If you intend to apply for multiple jobs at once, please consider sending private messages instead. If you mass reply to all the threads that interest you, then we end up with all the threads you applied to at the top of the board, which affects job posting visibility.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:39:40 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged
alspal
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:52:51 AM »

What about fun collaborations that involve money?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:14 AM »

Yeahhh, I'm not sure yet.  I think that would go in the main forum, and you'd be offering a service, rather than a job.  Kinda like how I handled Greg Sergeant's post.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »

Since this board has a whole bunch of new post icons, I thought it might be a good idea to create an easy reference as to what each represents.

-ArtistProgrammerMusician
Contract Work
Full-Time Position
Service

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »

I would encourage the discouragement of speculative work.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »

Woah. Maybe I could get a musician. Or a programmer. Either would be nice.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »

I'm guessing the Jobs section is for titles that will eventually have to be paid for. Am I allowed to make a post in the Jobs for people who want to make shareware and a post in the Unpaid Collaborations section for peopl that are aiming for freeware?

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »

Big change to the Jobs board:

Kren suggested added a separate subforum for people looking for work. I think this is a good idea so it's been implemented.

ARTISTS, MUSICIANS, CODERS LOOKING FOR WORK, PLEASE POST IN PORTFOLIOS.
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 09:01:23 AM »

In light of reading this thread and other messages from REAL staff members (not directed at you, Derek), I'm not sure what to do with my thread about Unity3d music. It was not meant as an advertisement for my services, but it's not meant for recruiting people either. Should it be moved to the generic audio forum?

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 03:15:35 AM »

What do I do if I'm a generalist (programmer, musician, artist, and writer) looking for work? Where's my post icon?  Cry

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 05:01:01 AM »

What do I do if I'm a generalist (programmer, musician, artist, and writer) looking for work? Where's my post icon?  Cry

Wink

(← new art twitter)
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:33 AM »

... I would use such a post icon.
Hand Fork LeftWell, hello there!Hand Money Right
(am i emoticon right?)

PeteDevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »

Can we start being more stringent with the rules because I'm sick of wading through the 'profit share' posts! If they aren't paying you as a freelancer then it isn't bloody paid!!
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »

Can we start being more stringent with the rules because I'm sick of wading through the 'profit share' posts! If they aren't paying you as a freelancer then it isn't bloody paid!!

Any update on this? Since the Collaboration section was moved, there is a continuous stream of "profit/revenue share" posts in the "Paid" section.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »

Might help to report them maybe?
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 07:43:48 AM »

Might help to report them maybe?

The above rules don't forbid profit share at the moment, so report for what? One can argue "profit share" is paid work, just not in advance, under the current wording.

ink.inc
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 10:48:48 AM »

Edited first post to define exactly what 'paid work' means. Also removed a bunch of other threads that didn't fit these new guidelines. Sorry it took as long as it did, but I hope this helps!

PS: If you find these sort of issues in the forums in the future, don't hesitate to PM me! I don't have the time to read through every subforum, so that'd really help to speed up change. (thanks miguelito)

-John
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »

This is just a thought, but maybe the table should be updated to include combinations of different disciplines for those looking for different kinds of people, and maybe the number of positions should be encouraged to be included in the title. So let's say a guy is looking to find two programmers and one artist, he can attract both kinds of people to his forum post.

Again, just an idea. Also, exactly one year necropost.

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »

Maybe the forum name should be a bit clearer, something like "Post your paid job offers (recruiters only, no portofolio, FOR THAT THERE'S A PORTOFOLIO SECTION JUST UNDER THIS ONE)"?

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 03:26:20 PM »

UPDATE:

These rules just got updated. Please read them over.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic