Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:56:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Reimu
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Reimu  (Read 23201 times)
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

We don't actually have permission for Reimu yet, but it seems unlikely that ZUN would oppose her inclusion, so feel free to start work on her.

Portrait- Not submitted

Sprites-
Idle-
Walking-
Jumping-
Hurt-
Throwing-

A:   Staff Swing   Reimu quickly swings her staff. The damage is low, but the attack is quick and has moderate knockback.
↑A:   Amulet Column   Reimu shoots a column of giant amulets directly above her. High damage and knockback, but slow.
←A/→A:   Yin Yang Orb   Reimu summons a glowing yin yang orb, which slowly moves forward. The attack is very slow, but the orb is moderately powerful, and causes decent knockback. The orb disappears after a short time.
↓A:   Bomb   Reimu throws an amulet straight to the ground (or into an opponent), where it detonates with high damage and knockback.
Special Attacks
S:   Amulet Stream   Reimu releases a constant stream of fast-moving amulets for as long as the key is held. Individually, the projectiles do little damage and no knockback, but they can rack up damage very quickly.
↑S:   Flight   Reimu gains the ability to travel in all four directions, with good maneuverability, for a brief time. She can use specials while flying, but if she uses any other attack, the effect ends.
←S/→S:   Giant Amulet   Reimu fires a single large amulet, which does moderate damage and knockback and moves through enemies. The key can be held to charge the attack, which causes it to deal more damage once the key is released.
↓S:   Bouncing Orb   Reimu fires a small yin yang orb, which bounces along the ground. It deals low damage and knockback. It disappears after some time.

Old movelist suggestions:
>A would be the yin-yang orb. I really don't like it when the game simply ignores your input for whatever the reason. I think it's counter-intuitive and frustrating. So instead of she not being allowed to have more than one orb at the same time, let's change the mechanics of the orb a bit. Like this: When you press >A, she thrusts her arm forward and summons the orb, but she has to stay like that for a while. While she is still holding her arm, the orb stays in place and sort of "traps" the opponent, dealing multiple hits. After some time it starts moving, and as soon as it starts moving it gives a big knockback. If you want to make another orb, you can, but by the time the second orb starts moving, the first one will be just about to disappear, since you have to wait all that time while the orb is static.

I think she should be able to attack when flying. But you interrupt her flight and can't jump anymore until you reach the ground if you attack. Maybe she could be able to fire her neutral A while flying without interrupting her flight ? She would fire her amulets at a much slower rate, but even then it might be unbalanced. I just really wanted her to be able to fly, dodge and shoot amulets at the same time.

A- Reimu thrusts her staff forward.
>A- Close-ranged Yin-Yang Orb.
>A(air)- Kick with a slight start lag. Creates some forward momentum.
^A- Flip kick.
vA- Reimu throws an amulet into the ground which creates a pillar of energy involving her.

S- Projectile Stream.
>S- Big wall-like amulet that stays in place. You can slightly influentiate the place where they stay by holding forward, back, or nothing during starting lag.
^S-Fly.
VS-  Reimu sends a column of giant amulets upwards. Or that one move where she summons differently colored balls and throws them one after the other.

Or

A- Reimu fires a constant stream of amulets for as long as the button is held. Individually, they do little damage and no knockback, but the attack deals damage very quickly. This move is great for dealing pure damage from any distance. It is based on her attacks from the shmups and is similar to the S(alt) from the image.

A (air)- Reimu fires a few amulets forward that spread out. They deal a small amount of knockback and moderate damage. Similar to the S attack in the image.

>A- Reimu thrusts her staff forward. A quick attack with good knockback. Necessary to help her escape from fast melee attackers. Similar to her side attack in SWR.

^A- Reimu sends a column of giant amulets upwards. Does heavy damage and knockback to anything directly above her. Similar to her large projectile in SWR.

vA- Reimu throws an amulet into the ground which creates blasts of energy on both sides of her. Somewhat slow, but the damage and knockback are high. Loosely based on the bombs from the shmups.

vA (air)- Similar to A(air) but aimed 45 degrees downwards.

S- Reimu fires a single large amulet. You can hold down the key to charge the attack for increased damage, but as soon as it is released you fire. You can't carry the charge. The attack is similar to her large projectile in SWR. I'd like to hear if anyone has better ideas for this attack.

>S- Reimu creates a yin-yang orb in front of her, which hovers in place for a brief time damages enemies that touch it, knocking them back at the end of its duration. Only one can be created at a time. Would be useful as a barrier to keep enemies away. Like the >S attack in the image.

^S- Flight- Reimu can fly for a very brief time. You can control her using up, down, left and right. Her flight is fast and very precise. She can't attack until the flight expires. Based on her movement in the shmups.

vS- Reimu creates a yin-yang orb projectile that is affected by gravity and bounces along the ground. The projectile deals moderate damage and knockback. Similar to her >S attack in the image.

The suggested vS attack would not fit very well with the game, since most attacks are designed to hit an adjacent enemy regardless of size.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:34:28 PM by Soulliard » Logged
shig
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »

We can mix up both movelists, too.

Finals
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »

Here's something I had thrown together when we were first discussing the movelist, should be good for some refrences.  Coffee
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:32 PM »

I updated your post with the most recent version of the movelist. Not really sure why we need a thread yet, since there's nothing much to do here but discuss her moves.

Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »

I'm hoping later on we could :ninja:shoehorn one of Reimu's famous Spellcard attacks such as Fantasy Seal or Evil-Sealing Circle.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »

Suggest something specific.

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »

How's this?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:24:32 PM by brod » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »

Very nice. Smiley

The details on the bow and dress look especially good.

I made a few small changes to the face so it fits better with IB's overall style.

She'll also need bigger hands.

EDIT:
I decluttered her torso, fixed some banding in the staff, and emphasized her armpits. Smiley

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 09:47:03 PM by Soulliard » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »

I don't know anything about Touhou, but couldn't the insignia on the chest be important to the character?

If it isn't my bad. Just wondering.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »

Oh right right  Embarrassed
So.. better?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:12:45 PM by brod » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »

That looks fantastic!
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »

I don't know anything about Touhou, but couldn't the insignia on the chest be important to the character?

If it isn't my bad. Just wondering.
Actually, it's supposed to be a neckerchief or something. It's not of great importance to my knowledge, though she does look a bit odd without it.

And yes, the most current version looks quite nice.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »

A few small changes. I cleaned up the outline, moved her foot over so she looks more balanced, and fixed the details of her neckerchief.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

Wow that's a pretty sprite.

The movelist looks good too- except for the A attack. Am I the only one who finds non-knockback attacks appalling?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »

I think they're good if used sparingly. Since Reimu has plenty of slower ranged attacks with knockback, a fast projectile without knockback fills a good niche. Plus, it's the only way to incorporate the rapid firing from the shmups without it being overpowered.

Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »

I thought Reimu had redish brown hair o-o

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

It depends on the source. Sometimes it's brown, sometimes it's black, and sometimes it's purple. The colors that were used were all from SWR, though.

I can't say I really like most of the changes you made. The face looks distorted. And I'd be careful about adding tiny details like the trim on her sleeves and dress. These sprites need to be animated, and little things like that will make the process much more difficult. Reimu's sprite is already pretty complex and busy.

Veo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »

Ok, how about this? I wasn't exactly sure what you meant about the face. But, I may have fixed it. Or do you just not like the sprite at all?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

No, it definitely has some strong points, like the sleeves, feet and right hand.

MaloEspada
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »

Aside from the face, I like it a lot, Veo.
IMO better than the other version. Also the blue hair contrasts better, so yeah, better to stick with it than to the red one.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic