Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:27:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Reimu
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Reimu  (Read 23198 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »

I think I mostly just didn't like the colors.

Fixed up the outline (again) and removed a few unnecessary details and colors, so it should be easier to animate.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »

I think they're good if used sparingly. Since Reimu has plenty of slower ranged attacks with knockback, a fast projectile without knockback fills a good niche. Plus, it's the only way to incorporate the rapid firing from the shmups without it being overpowered.
IMO these attacks simply promote running away and spamming. Here's how I reason it.

It must be worthwhile to use these spam moves. A move would not be viable if you left it you vulnerable even after it hits. In regards to vulnerability, these moves have the same result whether you hit or miss. Therefore, these moves leave you in a good position while letting you do damage. No risk only reward so there is no reason not to do them almost exclusively. This does however work to some extent in SB because of how paltry the reward for landing a laser beam is and how much more suited the game is to advancing on a ranged opponent and utilizing melee attacks. Not to mention the numerous defensive measures IB is currently without. Even so, laser spamming is a definite annoyance that is often only limited by the honour of the players.

I think the rapid fire moves could be incorporated in a number of ways with knockback while still being balanced. You could make them have a low to moderate windup and fire in a three or four second burst with a long ending animation, making it a high risk/high reward move. Especially in regards to Liero's flamethrower you could make it like SSB spam moves (AAAAAAA for most characters or Pit's side B) where if you do it too long they will eventually squeeze out, while giving the moves a moderate ending animation to make the move not only appropriately risky, but require skill to time so it won't leave you open on hit. I think that without DI that would be trickier to program/balance, but from my limited knowledge it appears feasible.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:18:43 PM by Contrary » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »

It must be worthwhile to use these spam moves. A move would not be viable if you left it you vulnerable even after it hits. In regards to vulnerability, these moves have the same result whether you hit or miss. Therefore, these moves leave you in a good position while letting you do damage.
I don't understand how you come to this conclusion. These moves put you in a bad defensive position, hit or miss. Try using them all the time and you won't have any defense against your opponents' attacks.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »

But isn't the move being disadvantageous all the time also grounds for change?

But really, I should have tested. Maybe I can coerce my friends into trying this again and I'll get back to you.
capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:02 AM »

i think they work as a quick attack to throw out between other attacks, they're quick jab attacks rather than big uppercuts
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »

got a question about the movelist: WHY THE HELL WE'RE NOT USING SPELLCARDS? you know 1 of Reimu's spellcards are defenitively iconic and it's Spirit Orb (the one who summons some spining rainbow orbs). maybe it can be ^S on the floor (because it would be a bit powerful) and it can have limitated range instead of a infinite one (because on fighting Th games it has) and can be a bit slow (because it's deadly fast).

EDIT: now that i think about it people would spam the movement if it can be done just on the floor so instead of doing it on the floor it would need to be done on the air and would act just like a normal 3rd jump. here's an example of how i think it would work:

the orbs start to spin arround reimu and then they advance a short distance and dissapear. btw flight will need to be better than a 3rd jump because it can be done on the floor only ^^U
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:11:43 AM by -Frikman- » Logged

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »

But isn't the move being disadvantageous all the time also grounds for change?
Well, it's not disadvantageous at all times. Since it's a projectile, it will be advantageous at a distance, unless your opponent has strong projectiles, too.

Frikman: Flight is such an important facet of Reimu's design that you really can't just remove it like that.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »

i'm not saying it needs to be removed, i'm saying that the ^S command can do both Spirit Orb and Flight. As I sayed before ^S on the floor will make Reimu flight (10 seconds of flying sounds fine?) and on the air will make Reimu use Spirit Orb.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »

I understood what you meant. Flight is so central to the character that it is important for it to be usable in the air as well. Especially since pure recovery moves are intended to be used in the air.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »

oh I see. well, once Reimu gots finished if a move feels ankward or something you think it could be replaced? in case people don't like it Roll Eyes
btw flight won't do damage right?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »

No.

Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »

Wow. Reimu's sprite is looking all kinds of great.  Tears of Joy Keep it up, chaps! Gentleman
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »

I should point out that Reimu holds her staff in one hand.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »

yeah. 2 hands-hold makes her look like she's going to hit you really hard  Hand Any Key

medieval
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:11 PM »

I say the two ^S moves could be combined when used in mid-air
Tye The Czar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »

Would there be any way to utilize Reimu's Spell Cards such as Musou Fuuin(Fantasy Seal)?  Wink
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »

It depends. The obvious problem is that it would be hard to stay true to the source without significantly powering them down. That's why a majority of Reimu's moves are inspired by her roles as protagonist and the fighting games.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »

So I was thinking of Reimu the other day and I had this idea for her portrait. Sorry if is not a pixel version but y'know, i'm terrible at that kind of things.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 07:42:48 AM »

That's a nice design.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic