Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:39:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Supercop versus doctor X - requesting move to devlogs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Supercop versus doctor X - requesting move to devlogs  (Read 9852 times)
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:26 PM »

Download build 6 - http://www.mediafire.com/?nlhzzy2jzno

Premise: Smooth 3 stage arcade style platformer. Think contra, metal slug, and megaman in a blender.

Rooms:
Title screen: based off of megaman 2 intro
Stage 1: Fight on the rooftops of a destroyed city.
Stage 2: (Horizontal shooter) Fight above the clouds. Boss is Doctor X's flying ship.
Stage 3: Fight inside of Doctor X's ship. Fight Doctor X. Doctor X flees, pursue him on your hoverboard and fight him in the skies.
Game Complete: Peace returned to city. Shots of supercop with the happy civilians of the city of good.

Plan:
Day 1: Movement and shooting engine
Day 2: Robot enemy
Day 3: Ninja enemy and background effects
Day 4: Plan stage 1 level design. Stage 2 (sky fight) movement and shooting engine
Day 5: Dialogue boxes, Hud, player death and respawn, gun power-ups
Day 6: Stage begin and stage clear effects. Escape menu.
Flying stage enemies
Day 7: Choose music
Day 8: Flying stage enemy formations
Day 9: Add turret and jumping enemies. Flying stage boss
Day 10: Stage 1 complete
Day 11: Stage 2 enemy formation pattern complete
Day 12: Choose Stage 3 tile set. Choose stage 3 boss sprite
Day 13: Plan Stage 3 level design
Day 14: Stage 3 boss
Day 15: Finish stage 3
Day 16: Game complete screen. Enemy balancing. Lots of play testing.
Day 17: Put game in wild
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:22:59 PM by necromian » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »

Kiss

hi
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »

SUPERCAWP (title in progress) day 2:

Added drone enemies to fight back and some totally awesome ai to go along with it. Multi-directional shooting is for pussies amirite?  Cave Story

http://www.mediafire.com/?efd3zn1jh3z
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »

Super cop versus the ninjas and robots (title in even more progress)

Added the ninja enemy and a background. Dunno if having it makes the screen more cluttered and confusing or anything. Feedback this time around would be appreciated.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yymymyynhfm
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:19:14 AM »

Day 4: Added parallax scrolling to the background buildings. Added gas cans that explode and a screen shake effect. Added beginnings of the flying stage.

(Not enough new content in this build to need a re-upload)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:28:25 AM by necromian » Logged
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Really great that you're doing this.  If you can manage to keep up with your daily plans then you'll deserve to be among the champions of this competition.

And I recognize those clouds.

-PENCERKOFF

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »

Thanks ^_^
Does anyone think that the screen view is too small? I can scale the graphics down to 3x if necessary to make more room on the screen.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 07:42:55 PM »

Day 4 continues: Added powerups (machine gun so far), hud, player death and respawn, and chose the music. I guess I'm a bit ahead of schedule  Shrug

http://www.mediafire.com/?mhby2mlltki
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »

Day 5 so far: Made spiffy megaman 2-esque title screen and an alternate 3x scaled version of the game.

I really need some feedback on the 3x version though, because I need to decide early on if I'm going to scale the game 3x or 4x (because it would force me to redo everything I've done in the game so far if I have to change scaling again.) Also please note that the 3x version is using the 4x version physics, so everything is going to be moving pretty fast. I mainly want feedback on if the fov is better, or if it was good enough at 4x. Another option would be to increase the game window size.

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with the 4x version - it has the same fov as an nes megaman game.

3x version - http://www.mediafire.com/?rzuzftfqzyq
bigger screen - http://www.mediafire.com/?nmdiwhtwtqu
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:49:16 AM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:47:33 PM »

Day 5 continued: Made game over screen, added music and sound effects, and added the game intro (although without cinematics) to the build. Also, since I haven't gotten any feedback on the matter, I went ahead and made the window size bigger rather than changing the scale. As a result, the game now starts in fullscreen (can be windowed with f4. In the final version you will be able to choose fullscreen or windowed ingame).

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzjkyknyhzm
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:37:07 PM »

This is pretty awesome, and completely makes up for the lack of games during the contest using these sprites. And my blood splatter got used! Yay!

Feedback-wise, I think the FoV it has now is fine. The jetpack controls bother me a bit, though. Considering I'm usually just using the jetpack for extra jump height, it feels a bit unintuitive that I have to hold the up arrow when using the jetpack for a double-jump (especially when up is used for no other functions in the game). If the up arrow was the default jump key and the jetpack key was separate it would make more sense to me; you'd already be holding the up arrow (for jumping) when you want extra jump height.

Alternatively, maybe you could make the left/right jetpack give a bit of upward momentum as well as horizontal? Like, enough that you could use a horizontal jetpack burst to clear obstacles that are just a bit too high to jump over, but you would still use the up key one if you need to get very high.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »

This is pretty awesome, and completely makes up for the lack of games during the contest using these sprites. And my blood splatter got used! Yay!

Feedback-wise, I think the FoV it has now is fine. The jetpack controls bother me a bit, though. Considering I'm usually just using the jetpack for extra jump height, it feels a bit unintuitive that I have to hold the up arrow when using the jetpack for a double-jump (especially when up is used for no other functions in the game). If the up arrow was the default jump key and the jetpack key was separate it would make more sense to me; you'd already be holding the up arrow (for jumping) when you want extra jump height.

Alternatively, maybe you could make the left/right jetpack give a bit of upward momentum as well as horizontal? Like, enough that you could use a horizontal jetpack burst to clear obstacles that are just a bit too high to jump over, but you would still use the up key one if you need to get very high.
Thanks! And thank YOU for those wonderful blood splatter sprites! If you're playing build 5 (the one with music and sounds) then the FoV had already been changed to be bigger than it was previously. Also, the default direction for the jetpack is up, so if you press X and no direction, it will automatically jetpack you up (so you actually don't have to hold up!)

Also, this is going to be primarily a gun 'n run, so there aren't going to be very many obstacles to overcome other than enemies and maybe some death traps. The sideways jetpack boost would be primarily used to avoid enemies, so I think it's serving it's purpose well enough for now. I'll play around with the vertical speed on the horizontal jetpack a bit more though.

Oh, and to everybody - do you think it would be a good idea to add a reflector shield that will activate when you press down for a fraction of a second, so you can bounce projectiles back at enemies if you have good timing?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:49:55 PM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »

Day 6: I'm taking it easy because I'm already 2 days ahead of schedule. Here's the stuff I've added today -
Escape menu/pause game.
Continue game countdown after game over.
3 more guns - shotgun (which might be discarded), grenade launcher, energy gun

Quote from: necromian
Does anyone think that the screen view is too small? I can scale the graphics Down to 3x if necessary to make more room on the screen.
The size looks good to me, but if you would go full screen later on, it would probably be too low-res, I think. When I made gameboy-ish game once, I used 3x3 pixels, which as already very rough...

@Reflector Shield:
As a player, I often like it when things are easy to pick up and play. More types of attacks, more keys/combinations could lead to confusion, I guess. But when I tested it yesterday, I thought, the jetpack could also be used as a weapon maybe, like flamethrower or something, or to make mario-style jump on the head attacks. Just an idea though...
When I say going full screen, I mean that the game window is going to increase to a point where the game is going to run in full screen because it's already covering the whole screen. The scale isn't going to increase, but the field of view is.

Also, I think that the mario head bounce might be a good idea, but it should only stun the enemies, not kill them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:08:12 PM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »

Day 8: Hiatus, requesting move to devlogs. Searching for sprites for flying enemies.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:37 PM »

Day 9: Added jumping enemy, lazar turret, powerups that fall from the sky on parachutes, and some other sexy surprises.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:39:43 PM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 09:10:51 PM »

Day 9 continued: Added some super sexy placeholder graphics for the intro screen, changed some sounds, made all the enemies act sexier (read: better ai), and replaced lazar turretz with bullet turrets (lazar turretz will re-appear in the final level). Also, local and online 2 player game modes are planned.

build 6: http://www.mediafire.com/?nlhzzy2jzno
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:23:12 PM by necromian » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic