Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:57:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBattle Kid: Fortress of Peril... *NEW* NES platformer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril... *NEW* NES platformer  (Read 15518 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »

So Sivak's been making NES homebrew games for a few years now and its finally out. Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril was released on RetroZone today on a real NES cartridge, complete with manual and sleeve. I'm not sure how much this falls into "indie" games, but this game was made by Sivak 100%, no anything from Nintendo or anything. And BunnyBoy makes all his pcbs and carts from scratch, and even hacked the NES lock-out chip (the Ciclone) so its like 100% homebrew awesomeness.

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?ref=8&products_id=86

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:05:33 AM »

So he's selling it? You don't suppose that's just the cartridge and he has/will eventually have a rom that we can play in emulators?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
falsion
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »

Apparently the game is heavily inspired by I Wanna Be The Guy, according to his YouTube channel. It even has the whole fruit falling up and everything. Though the gameplay seems a lot different and the IWTBTG inspired traps are used sparingly compared to IWTBG.

Looks pretty interesting. Like a cross between NES Mega Man with some IWBTG traps thrown in.
TheDustin
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »

If this guy is distributing the rom I'd love to give it some coverage, but if you have to purchase a cartridge I'd be out of luck (I don't even own an NES). The principle of the matter is pretty cool, though.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »

So he's selling it? You don't suppose that's just the cartridge and he has/will eventually have a rom that we can play in emulators?

Yeah I keep hoping he'll release his game roms, but I think right now the only way you can get them is buying off retrousb. I know a lot of the guys who buy them have CopyNES's and they could rip the roms, but I think its sort of a respect to the author that they are leaving the roms off the net for now.

If this guy is distributing the rom I'd love to give it some coverage, but if you have to purchase a cartridge I'd be out of luck (I don't even own an NES). The principle of the matter is pretty cool, though.

You might be able to convince him if you PM him on NintendoAge. I know he's getting quite a bit of press from SpinAttack and a few other really small news spots, but I'm not sure if they are even set up to receive a HUGE number of orders. Its still pretty much a niche market since its a homebrew cart, and BunnyBoy is the only person in the world who makes these reproduction pcbs/carts without killing originals.

TheDustin
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »

I just sent him an email and I'm hoping for the best. I checked his site and he has a bunch of other cool looking games (including a couple reproductions of Holy Grails of NES games).
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »

Temporarily unavailable. Drat. I want to buy it!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 09:06:15 PM »

I'd buy it if I could right now. Sad

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on this one.  Sadly my NES is over at a friend's place...in another town.  Hopefully I get it back next month!

Man, will this game even still be for sale then?  Sad

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
AshfordPride
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »

While I think tangible distribution of the game is cool and using an NES cart is really, really cool, I can't say I'm very much unimpressed with the game itself.  It's a noble endeavor and it's really cool to go the extra mile like this, but guys, is there any indie game that wouldn't instantly become ten times more interesting when plopped onto an NES cartridge?

This is a game that wants to be IWBTG, which in turn wanted to be Megaman on VERY VERY HARD, and then Megaman just wanted to be a good game.  So we have a game that wants to be a game that's parodying the difficulty of another game.  Am I the only one who sees a potential for Battle Kid's gameplay to become a little diluted after playing telephone one too many times?  It seems like this game unashamedly grabs whatever it can from Megaman's and IWBTG's bag of tricks, and instead of trying to come up with any new and exciting mechanics the player seems to be looking at another run and shoot NES game.  The fall cherries, the shooting at enemies while dodging their bullet patterns, the palette-swapped MC...  Haven't we gone down this road enough?

It seems like this guy is more than competent enough to make something really fantastic, but it seems like all he's doing here is putting a diluted game up on a very impressive pedestal.  
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 05:43:25 AM »

eventually there surely be a rom on a torrentsite somewhere you can enjoy... (you nasty pirate Wink )

I think this is a true indie, not bowing for the nasty big corporations and portals and i hope alot more people will buy his cardridge, you should have the NES anyway since most TIG-games are heavily inspired on the NES-era, and you can get them almost for free at any secondhand market.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 06:31:58 AM »

It's available now! Ordered!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »

Not sure where here I'd get an NES to be honest.

Cokho
Level 3

I love anyone who read this !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »

You can buy a nes/Snes here!

Pardon my poor english T_T
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »

Not sure where here I'd get an NES to be honest.
you can ususally find them at thrift stores pretty cheap. they usually work really well with a little bit of cleaning.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 12:01:08 AM »

Ah, the times of sturdy hardware.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 12:48:11 AM »

No kidding.  My new 360 tipped over and now it red rings if it gets jiggled the wrong way.

Lips Sealed
ADDatWork23
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »

No kidding.  My new 360 tipped over and now it red rings if it gets jiggled the wrong way.

Lips Sealed

No kidding...if the system doesn't red ring the disk gets scratched like your putting it in a blade sharpener...  Facepalm
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »

No kidding, I don't have to jam an extra cartage into the slot to keep the game down, or fiddle with it for 10 minutes before I can even get the game to work properly. Sometimes I don't wanna keep my battery backed up games. Diggin a dentist pick into the inner workings of your electronic device is a lot less irritating then waiting a couple days for the mail. You crazy kids should pop the rose lenses out of you glasses, haha.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 12:10:41 AM »

Actually, there's a real simple way of solving the connector problem (or buy an actual Famicom or re-release, that solves the problem before it starts.)  As for the battery saves, yeah that sucks.

But you know what's awesome?  The NES I bought 20+ years ago has been moved a dozen times, treated like shit, and it still works perfectly.

I give my Wii another year.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic