Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:42:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsAllegro and C for complete noobs!!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Allegro and C for complete noobs!!  (Read 15205 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 05:17:23 PM »

Perhaps it's because there are a few other things in my PATH that are in Program Files...

Also, thanks for the link.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 03:40:41 AM »

Perhaps it's because there are a few other things in my PATH that are in Program Files...

Also, thanks for the link.

Make sure to put these in "quotes" then

Anyway, allegro's windows distribution method is just flawed and not worth your trouble. Just use Devpacks. There's supposed to be a Code::Blocks pluggin for them.

No it isn't. Also, people should learn to compile things, it comes in handy.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »

Man... why... why Windows? Why... why encourage Windows as the main OS for programming C..?

Lol, I should write a MSVC tutorial using the Win32 API and D3D11.  I wouldn't expect anyone to use it, I'd mainly do it to see how creative the trolling gets.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 06:13:24 AM »

Man... why... why Windows? Why... why encourage Windows as the main OS for programming C..?
Man... why..?

Man...

1. Linux gaming barely exists
2. Allegro sucks on Linux
3. You want someone to actually play your gams, no?
main != only, and I never said anything about Linux (although I did think of Linux).

I wasn't entirely serious, though.
Like I said, C is a nice language (although I feel a bit handicapped without OOP and generics, so that's why I use C++ myself), and Allegro seems to be a good starting point for graphical programming in C/C++ (and many other libraries are), and the tutorial itself looks like it has a lot of information, which is all good.

I just found it a bit humorous that such a loooong part was about obtaining the compiler and IDE.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »

I just found it a bit humorous that such a loooong part was about obtaining the compiler and IDE.

You're right there, mate. Getting this done in e.g.  Ubuntu, would be like, 4 mouse clicks. Also, the hard-mode forces people to learn.

But then... i haven't seen this tut helpful, I guess GM is the choice here

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 10:32:15 AM »

Anyway, allegro's windows distribution method is just flawed and not worth your trouble. Just use Devpacks. There's supposed to be a Code::Blocks pluggin for them.
No it isn't. Also, people should learn to compile things, it comes in handy.

Devpacks proved more intuitive in this instance, just as .lib files will prove more intuitive in visual studio. It is good to learn the "proper" way to compile things, but on windows there is no "proper" way, so when something screws up (such as for skofo) you're really just in the dark. Open source on windows is fine, but without the binaries there is no way to figure out whether you have correctly compiled the software.

That is why there is a whole tutorial on these boards dedicated to avoiding crap like this in visual studio(huge paraphrase on my part).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:35:26 PM by salade » Logged
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2010, 03:19:45 AM »

You actually NEED to learn that, no imagine you're using ready bins only and then you have to use some crap found in an abyss of google cached non-existant website and that's the first thing you need to get compiling yourself. And "abyss stuff" are sometimes valuable games (ref: Physical engine by Alex Rivers)

rudy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »

This means, we define WIDTH as 320 and HEIGHT as 240, these are like constants, but it works a bit different.
Compiler will replace every occurence of WIDTH and HEIGHT with the actual values before compiling, so if you have a variable named MyButtWIDTH, it will change it to MyButt320 and probably give an error somewhere in the process.
Not sure about other compilers, but MSVC won't do this.  In fact, if you want that behavior, you have to jump through some hoops involvings multiple #defines and use of the ## concatenation operator.

Agree. GCC won't compile it neither (it will treat MyButtWIDTH as completely new identifier). But besides that dobra robota!
DunnDiego
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »

Super noob here.

So I have very little programming knowledge/experience, but I have been interested in learning for a long time. Mainly I haven't had the time.

My 11yr old son is really into gaming and wants to start learning to make games.
Is this a good start for us to work on together? Or is there a better starting point?

I came here initially because he loves Spelunky and I told him that Derek released the code.

So we're gonna get MinGW and Allegro and get started. If anyone has any tips, we would appreciate it!!

Thanks, and Big Thanks to Sos for posting this tut!

Beer!
givecake
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 12:50:51 AM »

I'm concerned that the game is about killing or raping Sad
TikraTiesa
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 11:47:51 PM »

Thnx for this tutorial.

Arkitekt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »

Thanks for the tut, I've been hunting around for a decent tut.  Going to begin dl'ing tonight and see what I can do.  Thanks again!

I'm concerned that the game is about killing or raping Sad
You could always make it about giving away free candy to strangers   Durr...?

Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic