Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1034773 Posts in 41744 Topics- by 33338 Members - Latest Member: VanDiest

August 21, 2014, 07:56:01 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingVertex -- final public demo available!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Vertex -- final public demo available!  (Read 25704 times)
PKBT
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »

The graphics look downright amazing, and I like to look important as well.
I'll check the demo out tomorrow. Can't wait!
iMoose
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »

Well hello! I've made vast improvements, and many many updates. Check out the original post for more details! You can play or download this second demo here at YoYoGames, or download it here at Box.net

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 02:26:45 PM »

Really solid game so far, I enjoyed it quite a bit. My favorite mechanic is using the shadows to avoid enemies and obstacles. I didn't get a chance to use that in the garden, which I think would've been neat. I was also a little confused as to why it helped me avoid spikes, but that's not really a big deal. I also liked the hidden passages that look just like normal walls/floors. It made for a nice surprise when I fell down that one gap without knowing I would. That's another thing that I think the garden is missing. It got to be a little annoying when I'd back track and forget it was there, though. When I first got the flame attack for the first guy, I'm not sure what made me decide to punch the rock blocking me from Vertex. Even though I didn't have trouble figuring it out, it seems like some players might. The graphics look great; cool characters too. I didn't play all the way through the demo just yet, but it's definitely something I want to pick up later, which is a good sign. Keep up the good work.
CyanPrime
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »

Needs a windowed mode. x_x

iMoose
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »

Really solid game so far, I enjoyed it quite a bit. My favorite mechanic is using the shadows to avoid enemies and obstacles. I didn't get a chance to use that in the garden, which I think would've been neat. I was also a little confused as to why it helped me avoid spikes, but that's not really a big deal. I also liked the hidden passages that look just like normal walls/floors. It made for a nice surprise when I fell down that one gap without knowing I would. That's another thing that I think the garden is missing. It got to be a little annoying when I'd back track and forget it was there, though. When I first got the flame attack for the first guy, I'm not sure what made me decide to punch the rock blocking me from Vertex. Even though I didn't have trouble figuring it out, it seems like some players might. The graphics look great; cool characters too. I didn't play all the way through the demo just yet, but it's definitely something I want to pick up later, which is a good sign. Keep up the good work.

Thank you. I will definitely try to keep it up. Did you get anywhere past the Garden? Because there are a lot of shadows in the Mine. Also, that backtracking issue will be mostly solved with the map that I will soon be working on.

Needs a windowed mode. x_x

You can still press F4, and it toggles fullscreen.

shojin
Level 1

m0unt4inj3w
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »

I really, really like this game... you wouldn't happen to need music for it, would you?

http://artembank.bandcamp.com

Unless you've already got someone or yourself doing the soundtrack.

PsySal
Level 7

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

Hey just played this, quite enjoyed it. Nice job so far, keep going!
iMoose
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »

I really, really like this game... you wouldn't happen to need music for it, would you?

http://artembank.bandcamp.com

Unless you've already got someone or yourself doing the soundtrack.
Thanks so much! I'm really impressed by those works--however, I'm working on my own soundtrack, being a musician myself. But keep up the good work!

Hey just played this, quite enjoyed it. Nice job so far, keep going!
Thank you! Progress has been coming in bursts, but there have been a lot of additions and refinements since the last demo. And after all this time, the game is almost half done, I'd say.

Thank you for your support!

shojin
Level 1

m0unt4inj3w
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

Thanks so much! I'm really impressed by those works--however, I'm working on my own soundtrack, being a musician myself. But keep up the good work!

Ah well, keep going! :D

MegaLeon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:42 AM »

Hope you didn't stop working on this! Love the feel of this game. Out of curiosity, are you using any custom made palette for your pixel art or you just throw colours the way your heart feel?  Smiley

iMoose
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 05:00:14 PM »

Hope you didn't stop working on this! Love the feel of this game. Out of curiosity, are you using any custom made palette for your pixel art or you just throw colours the way your heart feel?  Smiley
The latter. I try to conserve colors within sprites and tilesets themselves, but when I make a new sprite I just use whatever color I want. Kind of lazy, but it doesn't really make that big of a difference to me.

I actually did stop working on this... for a couple months. I'm just starting to work on it again, since my interest has started to return and I'm almost on summer break  Grin

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »

This is excellent stuff.  TIGS kind of has a reputation for being obsessed with low res metroidvanias, but in reality there aren't a whole lot of nicely polished ones like this that get finished all that often.  I'll be following this one for sure.

Keep up the awesome work Beer!

tweet tweet @j_younger
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »

I found the level design way too confusing. I don't really understand the purpose of using so many secret passages either - it just makes the levels harder to remember. There were also quite a few times when spikes and whatnot appeared too fast for me to react, which was annoying.

I think the game has a lot of potential but I couldn't really get into it.

ThemsAllTook
Level 10

Alex Diener

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »

Love the game! Here's some specific feedback:

• Music would really add a lot to the mood, good to hear you're working on it
  • There was what appeared to be a word wrapping glitch when I was talking to Lira. Here's how it showed up:
Code:
I'll be able to aid you in battle! My bow may
not be as powerful as your
punching, but I have more ran
also have a double jump that
help us get around!
  • At the end of Lira's dialogue when she joins you, there's a LOUD audio glitch. It sounds like it's trying to play the same sound over and over.
  • The difficulty felt just right; not too easy, not too hard
  • Some sort of quit confirmation might be nice; I missed the instructions saying to use enter to pause, so I tried P which did nothing, then escape which quit the game instantly.
  • The way the screen scrolling is set up, it's a little bit hard to see ahead; maybe it's intentional, but I'd have liked it to keep the player centered a bit more...
  • The small gray insect enemies are really hard to see on a gray background. Here's a screenshot (it's much worse with the eyes and wings in motion):

iMoose
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! Now to reply:

@deadeye:
Thanks for the support  Grin

I found the level design way too confusing. I don't really understand the purpose of using so many secret passages either - it just makes the levels harder to remember.

A lot of that level design (mainly in the garden) isn't planned out, and thus it's pretty unruly. I've already gone back into the Garden and edited the levels so that they look nicer and they're also easier to navigate (at least I think they are), which you will see next time I release a demo. I have yet to do the same for other areas, but I think the other areas are already easier to navigate than the Garden anyways.

@ThemsAllTook
  • Yes, the music is in progress (and it sounds purty dern good, what I have of it  Corny Laugh )
  • I've redone a lot of the dialogue in the game. Indeed, that is a text wrapping glitch; in fact I don't have a text wrapping mechanism in my code, so I do it manually and sometimes I miss something. Thanks for the report.
  • Yeah, I know. That wasn't there before I made a few minor tweaks to the game to upload it online, but somehow it popped up then. I've gotten rid of that too.
  • Good to hear about the difficulty. I often seem to have problems with making games way too hard...
  • Quit confirmation is an excellent idea, I'll look into that.
  • Agreed with the screen scrolling, I've also edited that so the view actually looks ahead of you a little ways rather than dragging behind you.
  • You're right about the insects. I'll take them out of the dark areas, there's no real need for them there anyways.

@All:
I'm curious, how far are all of you getting into the game? Has anyone reached the Master Tower?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:04:53 PM by iMoose » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic