Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:46:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuggestion based game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Suggestion based game  (Read 11090 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »

This is a sort of game-making experiment. I am going to make a game, but everything in the game is going to be things suggested by the community! When you post in this thread, you may suggest whatever you want, and I'll make it! (With exceptions, see below.) It will be programmed in GameMaker 7 Pro. You may also contribute with sprites, levels and music if you want to.

Suggestions:
  • Keep it PG.
  • You may suggest as many ideas as you want, but if you suggest a lot, I may not do all of them.
  • Be specific about what it does. Describing what it should look like isn't important, but still allowed.
  • I am lazy. If I can't program it easily, I will skip it.

Sprites:
  • I will make sprites for all objects that need them.
  • All of my sprites will be lame MS Paint art.
  • Any submitted sprites will be used on the next applicable object.
  • Don't worry if your sprite doesn't fit. This game is meant to have a sort of "random stuff stuck together" feel anyways.
  • The bottom left pixel is used for transparency in GameMaker.
  • Backgrounds and tilesets are also allowed.

Levels:
  • Levels I make will be made with a tile system.
  • When you post a level you should post a picture, and a black and white collision map to go with it.
  • The character can run up a maximum 2 pixel slope, and can jump maximun 80 pixels.
  • I'm using a 16x16 pixel grid. Multiples of 16 for level dimensions are recommended.
  • You may also post a second picture for any foreground objects.(Objects that appear in front of the player)
  • Must be at least 400x300. No maximum size.

Music:
  • Any music I make will be lame repetitive chiptunes.
  • Any horrible music won't be used, but I have very low standards, so you'd probably have to be trying to get it rejected.
  • Sound effects are allowed too. My sound effects will be made with sfxr.

This is not guaranteed to end up being good, but this is about the journey, not the end result.

I've already made a player character that can move and shoot.
I will post demos regularly.

Controls:
A: Move left
D: Move right
W: Jump
S: Enter door
Mouse: Aim
Left click: Shoot
R: Restart room
M: Mute
F1: Show controls
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?yhynyym4zwm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:04:23 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »

I drew you all the giraffe I could muster in 1 minute in MSPaint.

hi
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:15 PM »

Thanks! It's been added to my assets.

I have a folder for all unused sprites that I can look in whenever I make a object. This makes sure I don't forget about someones sprite.
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »

Here is a slug that gallops along the ceiling!

16x16, 3 colors, fulla charm.
Use it in a possible swampy level, or possibly have it fly through the sky for maximum confusion!  Big Laff

EEEEEEEGH
Ashkin
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »

There should be a yeti that fights using a large hammer, and his partner in crime is a gorilla with a chainsaw.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »

Slug, yeti and gorilla all added. Download link updated. Temporary solid background so you can see the slugs.

The less specific you are, the more likely your suggestion will end up not the way you imagined it. You have been warned.
MalcolmLittle
Level 0

Hear me say as the pavement whirls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »

Ok, my suggestion. The object of the game is to keep moving forward through the levels. The gorilla and yeti's "health" is constantly depleting. Enemies do not hurt the characters, they just slow them down/are in the way. Some of the enemies don't even have to be aggressive, they can just be obstacles (people waiting for the bus). The main characters "health" is replenished by items, fuel for the chainsaw-wielding gorilla and large blue slushies for the yeti (who is overheating).

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:51:12 PM »

If you played the game you would realize that I didn't add the yeti and gorilla as main characters. They are enemies.
MalcolmLittle
Level 0

Hear me say as the pavement whirls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »

My bad! I should of course start the program before posting (not sitting at my computer right now). Ignore my suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:47:55 AM by MalcolmLittle » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »

If you played the game you would realize that I didn't add the yeti and gorilla as main characters. They are enemies.
Sad

And when I said hammer, I meant a sort of mallet, you know, the thick wood ones.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:18:23 AM »

Whenever the giraffe isn't on the screen, the other characters should ask, "Where's Giraffey?"

Make a puddle of radioactive goo. Stepping in it causes you to grow an extra head, but does not change the game's mechanics at all.

The main character is named Patrick Masterson. He is a 35-year-old painter from Brooklyn, New York with a slight lisp, a moderate fear of heights, and an embarrassing tendency to fall in love at first sight. His first love was a pig-tailed redhead by the name of Shirley, with whom he shared but a single kiss before her father moved to Alaska to pursue his dream of being a professional whaler, taking his only daughter along with him. Patrick's father was a veterinarian, though Patrick did not share his love of animals.  When he was eight years old, Patrick had a pet dog, a ferocious Labrador called Smiles, who tragically died at the age of four after young Patrick fed her two bowls of chocolate. After that incident, Patrick refused to let himself get emotionally attached to any other animal, domestic or wild, though he did cry when seeing Bambi for the first time at the age of 26. While he does not like to admit it to himself, he also fears attachment to other people. No relationship of his has lasted more than a month, and he has few acquaintances who would call him a close friend. He earns money for his small apartment through contract design work. His art is drab, but functional. Patrick wants to make a living selling oil paintings of skylines and concrete structures, but he isn't thick skinned enough to put his art before a large audience, due to deep seated insecurities. He is beginning to think that, perhaps, this dream will never come true.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:45:18 AM by Noyb » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 03:03:18 AM »

Instead of being black circles, your bullets should change colour and shape at random, i.e. circle, square, triangle - red, green, blue, yellow, etc. In my mind it looks like the player is shooting a stream of confetti.

On a more serious, feedback-y note, I think you should make it default to full-screen, and double the resolution. Everything looks too tiny!

Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »

Whenever the giraffe isn't on the screen, the other characters should ask, "Where's Giraffey?"

Lol. Greatest suggestion ever.

Haven't had chance to play the demo yet, but if the dying hasn't been covered may I suggest: when anyone dies they fade away and get replaced by an egg - ejected from the deceased mouth.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »

Bullet-time!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 03:35:18 PM »

And when I said hammer, I meant a sort of mallet, you know, the thick wood ones.
It's now a mallet. Doesn't look very good, but oh well.

Make a puddle of radioactive goo. Stepping in it causes you to grow an extra head, but does not change the game's mechanics at all.
Added. And I guess I can add that story at some point. I'll probably just copy pasta it at the beginning.

Instead of being black circles, your bullets should change colour and shape at random, i.e. circle, square, triangle - red, green, blue, yellow, etc. In my mind it looks like the player is shooting a stream of confetti.
Added!
On a more serious, feedback-y note, I think you should make it default to full-screen, and double the resolution. Everything looks too tiny!
I scaled it up, but it might be too big for some resolutions. I have the biggest resolution I can select, and it just barley fits my screen.

Haven't had chance to play the demo yet, but if the dying hasn't been covered may I suggest: when anyone dies they fade away and get replaced by an egg - ejected from the deceased mouth.
They now drop eggs that give you points. They don't come out of their mouths because I don't want to draw new animations for every monster.

Uploading build as we speak.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:32:08 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Ashkin
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »

Have a yeti.

I like yetis.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »

A smiley face smoking a cigar ( a la  Cool ) should appear after you die.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »

Taking the eggs to the radioactive goo causes the eggs to hatch into ninja turtles.

hi
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 11:29:51 PM »

I drew a level for you, however I'm not sure if it's what you want. I'm confused about whether you're using a tile system or a collision map. So if there are any problems with it please let me know.

Collision map:

(I left the level devoid of features so that other people could contribute to it. But the general idea is that the player starts on the green planet and makes his way to the top of the large purple planet.)

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 12:24:48 AM »

I drew a level for you, however I'm not sure if it's what you want. I'm confused about whether you're using a tile system or a collision map. So if there are any problems with it please let me know.
I'm using a tile system for the levels I make, but I can just make the collision map a wall object and make the level a background and it should work fine. I'll upload a build once I add the level.

EDIT: New build, lots added. William's level works!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:32:17 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic