Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:02:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTen Second War [updated April 4]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ten Second War [updated April 4]  (Read 11654 times)
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »

Edit from the future: I made a flash version of this game that is a lot more polished.

You can play it at http://www.almostmatt.com/tsw

==================

In this game you are given 10 seconds to move a unit with WASD and shoot with the mouse in an attempt to destroy all of the towers. You repeat this process for each of the units that you are able to control, and then they all act at once to destroy the enemy. This is then added to by shield units, guiding rockets, and more for very skillful and tactical warfare.

This version can be downloaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?dyz1kzga1bt

There are now 3 more unit types, a "friendly unit" system, a lot of levels, some visual tweaks, some optimization, a proper level editor, and a lot of miscellaneous changes.

There are [some] sound effects, but there is still no music.  There will be music eventually, but for now it is nice to have a relatively small file size and I am a terrible musician.

I'm looking for feedback with respect to:
  • Bug reports and problems
  • Comments on unintuitive features or comments on the interface
  • Suggestions for additional unit / tower types or other mechanics
  • As well as general feedback

Thankyou for your time.

[edit: just fixed a bug where it might be unable to save]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:06:02 AM by Almost » Logged

A game of mine: Ten Second War
Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »

Just from playing the first few boards, I'm really enjoying it. I like the simple design and the concept is interesting.

Quite frankly, maybe it is because I tend to stick to the genres I enjoy, but I haven't played anything I can recall quite like this.

Nice work !
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »

I really like this, it's far more satisfying than most tower defense games, and the visuals are really smooth. My one nitpick is not being able to fire until you move. Also is there a way to resize/fullscreen the window without changing all the width/heights in the levels and code directly?

In any case, great game, going to add music?

edit: I should add for anyone reading, this is not a TD game, I just mean by comparison.
Towerfiend
Level 0

Bleeding for the blood god.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »

I love this idea, love this game. Kiss
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 02:32:55 AM »

are you entering this in the experimental gameplay competition?

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:11 AM »

Pretty cool, we had really similar concepts for this theme (Whoever asked, yes this is already in the EGP) yet came up with quite different games. Smiley I think mine just bumped off the front page though.

Anyway, I like the idea, are you planning to do more with it or just leave it at this? I'm sure there are plenty of ways to extend the gameplay. I kinda think it could do with marginally more colour and music too.

Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys  Grin

Yes, I am entering this in the experimental gameplay project. However, I like it so much I expect I will continue to work on it afterwards. Subtle colours and sound are next on my agenda of things to do, though it'll already be too late for the 7 days version.

I've also now reuploaded a newer version with, among other tweaks, a resolution option ingame.

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »

Awesome game!  I could see myself playing this one for a couple hours.  Though, it runs a bit slow on my system in the levels with more turrets like "From Afar".

Also, a suggestion: it's a bit difficult to aim missiles when you've already got 6 or 7 missile launchers firing all over the place.  Could you highlight the missiles that are firing from the currently selected unit somehow so it's easier to see which missile you're aiming?  That would be awesome. 

I really enjoy how the dead turrets highlight when mousing over a unit to select.  Very slick.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Lokon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:40 AM »

Dude!
Your game bent my brain... in a good way  Smiley  Great work.  It's like orchestrating a ballet...
Sounds would be cool, maybe a pleasent cascade as each enemy went down?  (A la peggle reward chime growing louder with each peg you hit?)
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »

My Word!

hi
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »

It's got a really high level of polish.

I love the menu and the main 'buttons' as it were. It's really nice to be able to quickly flick between level select and main game in a click or two. It brings the whole environment together in a very succinct way. The graphics are great too.

I personally found the most fun was in guiding the missiles around from a stationary unit. It isn't very effective, of course, because the time limit is so stringent but that's just what I preferred. I'd like to see the time limit only deplete during movement - I guess then it isn't a time limit and that kind of upsets the entire idea. I just find the conventional approach very hard. I think everything moves way too fast. That's just me though.

I'm running Windows7 64bit and the form at start-up seemed to be blank for a few seconds during the initial load. Might want to add a loading/splash screen.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »

once this gets sound that could get louder/faster/generally more intense would make this THE MOST EPIC GAME EVER

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »

I was actually forming a concept in my mind for a game kind of like this. I played it and though it was really good except sometimes I would set some actions for one guy and then a couple guys later the first guy didn't kill who he was supposed to. I also got an error. I can remember the circumstances though.
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »

Re Sean A.
Although it's not intuitive, there is a reason for that. Towers always shoot for a unit's current position, meaning that if the unit is moving fast enough it can dodge these shots consistently. However, a unit that is following this unit will almost be guaranteed to die because it is running into bullets aiming at the unit in front of it.
In your case the unit was safe, dodging bullets, but afterwards you sent another unit marginally in front of it that became the new target for the towers. By targeting this unit that is marginally in front of your past unit, the past unit that used to survive will now die. In short, your future units "drew fire" and caused your past self to die.

I would like to do something so that such a case does not happen, but I'm not sure what would be best. The only thing that I can think of is to make him invulnerable until the point that he died last time. However, this might look a little weird since shots are actually hitting him.

Somewhat similarly, if a unit went ahead of a unit that died and killed the tower that would've killed him, the past unit will be alive this time even though he was a ghost last time.

Re Fork and Beard
Rockets are very fun  Grin
I do think that the 10 second limit is tight, I may do some tweaking to make stuff happen a bit more slowly, or have an option to control units in slow-motion mode. I also intend to try to have levels not take so close to 10 seconds to beat.

Re feeblethemighty
Regarding Slowness on "From Afar". There's a funny story here. Initially that map was my last level, but then I decided it was just too long and large to be fun, so I removed it and in it's place I put a new early game easy level. However, I left this new early game level button linking to the file of the huge map.
Also, there is still optimization that I know how to do to make it run faster; I simply haven't gotten around to it yet.

In future versions, actively controlled missiles will be blue tinted to make them stand out.

Re LandsharkRAWR
I like the idea of music increasing in intensity.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »

I think each new unit you select and move you should add a track to the music. So in the beginning it's just drums, and then with two people moved it's drums and guitar, then drums, guitar and bass, etc.
Hatsu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 04:14:07 AM »

Hey, your game has been featured on the Freeware Friday Section of Big Download.  I thought you would be interested.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/03/26/freeware-friday-10-second-war/

Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

Very nice!

I love these kind (ie. cursor 10) of games. Your game is great as it is now and I'm looking forward to next iterations...

Goran

Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »

Ok, I have now an update. I have added some more unit types to make things more exciting, added a lot more levels with a more gradual difficulty curve, a level editor such that you can make and play your own maps, "friendly" units, and various miscellaneous changes.

The new version can be downloaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?dyz1kzga1bt

There are [some] sound effects, but there is still no music. Sorry. (If anybody would like to offer some music, I would likely be willing to use it). For now, I'm enjoying the small overall filesize.

[edit, there was a problem with saving on that version, just fixed it]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:21:31 PM by Almost » Logged

contra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:01 AM »

Great game. It feels really rewarding to watch the replays after you've completed a level. I think this is the only game in which I've ever bothered to watch a replay Smiley
Loved the game but I have 2 complaints/suggestions;

The one thing I had most trouble with was the shield unit. I found it hard to control properly and whenever I had to use them it was more frustrating then fun.
I think this unit would benefit from a mouseaction, for example: if you hold down the mousebutton the shield would lock in it's place (release button to have it act normaly). This would make it abit easier to control and make it more fun imo.

R restarts the unit. But if you die at second 9 of your last guy and your not fast enough to press R, its all over. Frustrating to have to redo all your previous runs when it all came down to that last one. It'd be great if R would restart your last run even if time was out.

Other then that, just some music, make it remember your resolution settings and add shitloads of levels. This is the type of game where 100+ levels could work. With the leveleditor (havent checked it out yet) maybe you could accept submissions from players to include in the finalgame.
Good job!  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 02:13:45 PM »

The one thing I had most trouble with was the shield unit. I found it hard to control properly and whenever I had to use them it was more frustrating then fun.
I think this unit would benefit from a mouseaction, for example: if you hold down the mousebutton the shield would lock in it's place (release button to have it act normaly). This would make it abit easier to control and make it more fun imo.
Interesting suggestion. I have noticed that the shield unit feels kind of awkward to control, holding the mouse to lock it in a fixed direction seems like a good idea to me. I'm also considering an [optional] relative mouse control for the shield unit; turning only when the mouse moves rather than always facing towards the mouse.

Quote from: contra
R restarts the unit. But if you die at second 9 of your last guy and your not fast enough to press R, its all over. Frustrating to have to redo all your previous runs when it all came down to that last one. It'd be great if R would restart your last run even if time was out.
Wait, did you not realize that you can recontrol units? You can click on a unit that's already acted to redo it. I should probably make that more obvious.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic