Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028809 Posts in 41320 Topics- by 32923 Members - Latest Member: DrDiamond

August 01, 2014, 07:54:47 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 142
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 147560 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1290 on: December 26, 2011, 01:59:25 PM »

There's a final boss, but it's an easy one.

MusicTheory
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 27, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »

I have played too much Mario kart 7; I was riding in a car and I looked up from the game and my first thought was "DRIFT THERE YOU CAN GET PAST THAT GUY AND GET A BOOST!"
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 28, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »

Just played through the first 8 worlds of Super Mario 3D Land in about 4 hours. It's a decent game, I'd personally put it above the Galaxies and slightly below NSMBW (multiplayer.)

It's great that they implemented the tighter structure of the old 2D games, but then it seems they just gave up in the end and made it a mandatory collectathon anyway, since you have to get 100 star coins to even access the final level (and other multiples of 10 to access earlier levels, one in each world, but those aren't mandatory.) It's not nearly as bad as star hunting, since you come across star coins fairly easily and they don't each have their own lame mission, but it's still pretty stupid and kind of defeats the entire point of having linear structure in the first place.

I know it's supposed to ramp up in the "postgame" (which isn't much of an excuse, since you need to play through the entire regular game to get to the postgame in the first place, but I'll go with it for now) but the difficulty seems ridiculous low so far. Practically everything you do in this game seems to give you an extra life. Hidden block? Extra life. Jump on the very top of the flagpole? Extra life. Low time on a level? More coins = extra life. Why even bother doing this if you're going to make the game autosave after every level? The game's difficulty curve seems a bit wack too, even disregarding the general easiness; it's more like a slowly ascending sawtooth than a line. It ramps up kind of within a world, then it resets to slightly higher than where it was before at the beginning of the next world. At least, in the first "half" of the game.

Where the game succeeds is in level and enemy variety. Every level manages to feel fresh and introduce something new that I hadn't seen before. I think the short length of the campaign works to its advantage here, since if it had been much longer all the cute novelty would have worn off (see: the Galaxies.) The last few levels in particular are pretty great, and I think this might have the best final boss of any Mario game (the other bosses aren't nearly as great; whytf does Nintendo feel the need to recycle the same boss patterns we've already defeated 200 times without adding any significant twists to make them, well, threatening? closest was the one airship where OMG TWO BOSSES but that was still pretty trivial.) I'll probably play through the Special World levels soon; I think they've introduced enough elements in the main campaign to make some really awesome level designs if they combine them well, so I hope they'll be able to deliver on that. Hopefully the Tanooki suit becomes less game-breaking too (as in, it makes half the platforming trivial.)

Aesthetically the game is pretty nice! I played with 3D off, though, because I can't seem to find the sweet spot for it. Just screws with my eyes no matter what I do. Music isn't bad either, especially the new tracks.

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile Email
« Reply #1293 on: December 28, 2011, 07:29:12 PM »

I got one of these thingies for Christmas and I think Nimptempo did a bang-up job!

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1294 on: January 02, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »

anyone with SwapNote on the 3DS want to draw silly pictures to each other?

Toucantastic.
cynicalsandel
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 02, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »

Got my Zelda 3DS for Christmas. Have to take my glasses off if I want to see the 3D. So, I just play with the 3D off.
Rm88~
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

rm88___@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1296 on: January 02, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »

anyone with SwapNote on the 3DS want to draw silly pictures to each other?

5241 1973 5614

I don't think we have swapped FCs around here before.

█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█▀ ▄█▀ ▀█▄ ██ ▀▀█
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #1297 on: January 02, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »

my FC: 1418-6749-9188

Be prepared to bombarded with pictures of cartoon toucans and totally racist Chinese charactures.

Toucantastic.
Fifth
Level 10

yoster_5@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1298 on: January 03, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »

Ooh, let me in on that!

4725-8279-7831
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1299 on: January 05, 2012, 06:10:11 AM »

According to analyst logic nintendo is doomed again ... The 3DS is outselling the wii first year ...

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 05, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »

nintendo: doomed since 1997

Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #1301 on: January 06, 2012, 03:05:14 AM »

How can the NES come in and bring video games back after the video game crash Atari started?
IMPOSSIBLE.

Video games at home ruined forever, they were just another fad and I wasted so much money on this home version of pac-man and this awful movie-tie in game for E.T.

Maybe arcades can still be successful, but owning home consoles is on the way out.

-----

Anyways, I still can't 3 star 150CC cups on Mario Kart 7, I get item spammed at the last possible second.

Also- Some the the ghost data online is freaking insane. Theres this one guy as koopa on cheep cheep and he just goes sooo sooo fast.

Toucantastic.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1302 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

I was disappointed I hadn't received my NES Kid Icarus download code from Club Nintendo Europe yet. Turns out you have to actively enter your email address once you become eligible for the code (by registering a couple of 3DS games). So if you're eligible for it, make sure you apply for it.

I got Trip World on Virtual Console yesterday. Lovely graphics, cool music. The gameplay's a bit odd, lots of seemingly nonthreatening enemies and powerups that I can't work out much of a purpose for. I love being able to play Game Boy games I've never even heard of before, though.

Playing Professor Layton 3 at the moment. I'm planning on catching up with the series just in time for when the 5th comes out on 3DS. On a side note: if you're playing a GBA or DS game on 3DS, you can still change the brightness settings without returning to the home screen. Press Home so the "do you want to quit" box appears. Then hold Start and use up/down on the dpad to change the brightness. Not sure if that's common knowledge already.

Rm88~
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

rm88___@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1303 on: January 06, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »

@Trevor: in my experience, getting 3 starts requires you to be in 1st place for a long time during the race, last-second comebacks don't get you 3 stars. And yes, if you're unlucky enough to get item spammed, you're much better starting the cup from scratch.

@Ishi: Ugh, I want to play Trip World but it's probably not coming to America, since it wasn't originally released here. Looks great.

█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█▀ ▄█▀ ▀█▄ ██ ▀▀█
Kramlack
« Reply #1304 on: January 06, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

@Ishi: Ugh, I want to play Trip World but it's probably not coming to America, since it wasn't originally released here. Looks great.

You're not missing much. I've played it a few times on an emulator (mostly when I heard it was by the guys who did Ufouria), and while it's a neat little game, it just seems like a lot of fluff. As Ishi mentioned, there's a lot of harmless enemies and seemingly useless power ups, it's got some nice art but it's a game I wouldn't regret missing out on or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 142
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic