Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 09:29:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 249149 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

March 23, 2010
To Whom It May Concern:
Re:   Launch of New Portable Game Machine

Nintendo Co., Ltd.(Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch “Nintendo 3DS” (temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

“Nintendo 3DS” (temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed “Nintendo DS series”, whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 11:53:03 PM »

Kewl.
 Tiger Hand Money Right
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »

FIXED: This new game system needs to get a hotdog.  Beg

You're welcome mods.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 12:23:18 AM »

Ugh, you know, the way they keep releasing new handhelds and then claiming (as they did with the DSi) that this is the next step for them is wholly disgusting.

I don't believe this will be the machine to "succeed" the DS series at all, merely another model revision.

I'd be willing to buy a new-generation handheld, I really like the DSi and as cool as a 3D handheld might be I'm not picking up anything by Nintendo if there is ANY way it can possibly be considered just a DS model revision.

I'll have to wait for E3 to really see if they are serious this time.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:28:35 AM »

Ugh, you know, the way they keep releasing new handhelds and then claiming (as they did with the DSi) that this is the next step for them is wholly disgusting.
They're copying Apple's marketing methods.
Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:42:57 AM »

They're copying Apple's marketing methods.

Well, to be fair, I don't own any Apple Products and don't know all too much about them.

I do believe Nintendo WILL release an actual followup to the DS eventually, and I wish they would just hurry up and do that.

Are the newer Iphones/Ipods considered actual "next gen", completely new hardware from Apple or just revisions ? Is it just a matter of Apple NOT labeling something "Ipod 2" even though they conceivably could ?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »

Well, 3d without glasses does sound like a significant improvement/gimmick. I wonder how it's gonna work. Any ideas?

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:52:02 AM »

I'm confused.  How is Nintendo releasing something new not a "next step" in every factual way?

I mean, it's not like they said "this is the very last thing we're ever going to release ever, ever."  It's a step.  They said that it's a step.  I don't see what's so disgusting about calling it what it is.

@TeeGee:  The usual way for 3d without glasses to work is by attaching a lenticular lens over the display surface.  You have probably seen these on "special edition" game box covers which appear vaguely 3D;  they use exactly this technique to let your eyes see slightly different images, which can result in a 3D illusion at the expense of print resolution on the box.  The same principle works with screen displays.  I can't imagine that Nintendo would do this though, as such a lenticular lens would really need to be fixed in place over one (or both?) screens, and that would cause problems for playing older DS/DSi games.
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:52:15 AM »

Hey guys, the 3DS still has 2 years before it comes out. Don't you think Nintendo will have it ready and working for that time?
Maybe there's already a technology like that working, but at the end of 2011 it will be cheap enough to be sold.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 01:57:24 AM »

Is this "3D without glasses" the same as

?
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »

Is this "3D without glasses" the same as

?
This is what I'm expecting.

I'm not sure what that really brings to the table though.

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:46 AM »

I have a feeling they'll be using this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_lens

Edit: or this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_barrier
It's more likely this one.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:32:34 AM by Cagey » Logged

Kramlack
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 03:10:30 AM »

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

-Looks back at Wii-
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 03:18:20 AM »

Are the newer Iphones/Ipods considered actual "next gen", completely new hardware from Apple or just revisions ? Is it just a matter of Apple NOT labeling something "Ipod 2" even though they conceivably could ?
Well, what Apple releases minor revisions of their products every six months and acts like it's the "next big thing", very similar to what Nintendo does with the DS at the moment. It's basically drip-feeding their customers hardware upgrades and trying to trick them into buying essentially the same product over and over again.

alspal
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 03:23:17 AM »

Hmm, hopefully it will be able to run 3D games better than the PSP - and with a screen as large as the DSi XL.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 03:48:42 AM »

Cool. Looking forward to see what exactly this is. DS is pretty old by now anyway, this is its 6th year.
Renton
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 04:46:02 AM »

Dammit.

I BOUGHT A DS A MONTH AGO!
Cocytus79
Level 0

Pathetic man-child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 04:51:36 AM »

Dammit.

I BOUGHT A DS A MONTH AGO!

Still a wise investment, don't feel bad. At the very least you will be getting 13 months of use out of it before the 3DS comes out, and they you can just play all your games on that.

And besides, if you DO decide to get a 3DS on launch day I'm sure you'll get quite a nice trade-in bonus on the DS  Giggle
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 05:03:01 AM »

Interesting, I certainly wasn't expecting 3D to be the main selling point of a handheld. I wonder how it works without glasses.

DarkSoul520
Level 0

Yummy Pixels

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 06:23:53 AM »

This looks cool and everything, but I'm going to try and hold my excitement till I see in action.

Then again, I thought the Wii was the coolest thing ever when it was released.  I bought one and I never play it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic