Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:44:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCircle: new project and first tests
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Circle: new project and first tests  (Read 29874 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:22:19 AM »

Hello! I've been a lurker for months, posting only on the main site comments. Shame on me.
But now that I followed tigsource for a while, well... I think most of you are totally crazy, and so that's a nice place to stay  Wink

I work on as programmer small software house, blind focused on mainstream market, so about the 90% of my coding life just sucks. So I'm trying to escape starting a small indie project on my own in my spare time (about 2 hours at night :\).
The development name atm is Circle, that stays for Circle Is Random Colorful Little Emotions.

I’m currently searching a nice looking style and I'm unsure from two totally different approach: a vector graphics style, with plain colors, and a full 3d with tons of shaders style a la Little Big Planet. My engine can handle both of two with ease so that's not a problem.

Here's some screens from the first test

let me know your deepest thoughts about it  Smiley

PS I'm currently zbrushing the full 3d version so i'll end up also with different looking things to show soon

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:59 AM »

57 views and no replies.. that's make me sad Cry

anyway, this night i got gravity works, and I finished some tiny creatures too, it's fun having those little thingies around and make they spin into orbit, i will be using that someway in my final gameplay definitely. So players will be able to throw their creatures into space and make them land on other planets (...or make them splat on the surface, after having they burn like a comet).
Now uhm, i need to change my design doc a bit...

postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 02:46:16 AM »

It looks nice, but there's not a whole lot to go on, you know? The style is kind of neat, though, so I'll be watching this thread for updates :-)

I'd like more info on what the goals of the game and how the gameplay will work.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:06 AM »

Can't really crit with no game design and only a few shots.

I will say that the shots look intriguing, and that I'd prefer a stylised render. That's just personally speaking though

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »

I looked at it too, couldn't really bring myself to post much without knowing how the mechanics and how the game works.  Id be really keen to see the zbrushed art however  Kiss

Explain some more mechanics or how the game plays/etc, im sure you'll perk some peoples interest from there  Grin

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »

Are the little dudes on the circles important? because either way its cool that they are there. You have a blue sky friendly style, which is cool too.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »

Are the little dudes on the circles important? because either way its cool that they are there. You have a blue sky friendly style, which is cool too.

Yes, actually those circles are planets, and the player will create and ecosystem over it, balancing plants, vegetarian and carnivores animals.
The player will be able to zoom from an entire solar system to a rabbit-like creature eating some grass!
Due to the small size of those planets also all that stuff lives in a low gravity condition and there will be ways to propel creatures into space to colonize other planets Tongue

I hope to post some more soon, currently i'm in office busy coding stupid mainstream budget games and dreaming about mine :\

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

wordswordswords

Yes, actually those circles are planets, and the player will create and ecosystem over it, balancing plants, vegetarian and carnivores animals.
The player will be able to zoom from an entire solar system to a rabbit-like creature eating some grass!
Due to the small size of those planets also all that stuff lives in a low gravity condition and there will be ways to propel creatures into space to colonize other planets Tongue

I hope to post some more soon, currently i'm in office busy coding stupid mainstream budget games and dreaming about mine :\

WOW! I'm double-plus excited now. That sounds pretty cool. Its just the sorta stuff I really like.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »

Heh, sounds like an interest concept as well.

Here's some motivation thrown your way, now get it done. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »

do want.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »

This sounds very cool. Looking forward to seeing more of it Smiley
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:33 AM »

Wow a planetary eco system game. That would be awsome. A long time ago I remember plating a forrest eco system game in the school computer lab. It did not let me do very much but it was a very cool concept. I look forward to see how your project turns out.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:39:08 AM »

Whats this all about?!?!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 12:02:31 PM »

Whats this all about?!?!

Populating alien planets, AKA lots and lots of sex.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 02:56:49 PM »

that's not only populating Tongue 'cause in multiplayer you will need to conquer other players planets or... well, i'm currently planning that things :)i think i've nice ideas but i don't know how i'll end up, i'm experimenting a lot of things, it's something like a pre-production phase mixed with actual coding because i was bored to only dream of about an indie project for months!

I'll dig into this weekend

Corpus
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »

Just going by the information you've provided so far, this sounds awesome. I think that this game could work well in 3D OR 2D. It would work really well with a super-stylised 2D graphical style, but it would also be pretty cool to be able to check out your planets' little creatures in 3D.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 07:23:55 PM »

Just make sure that even if you get 300 awesome ideas for it you first pick the very few that comprise your core design and perfect those. Once you get that done you can think about adding more, if you can manage. At least that's the way I see things working best.

Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:06:17 AM »

I'd probably stick with 2D. 1, because it looks cool, and 2, to avoid the inevitable comparisons with Spore.
Anyway, it's looking and sounding cool. Also, I read that as 'pick the very few that compromise your core design', and was confused for a few seconds.
Zaphos
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:18:52 AM »

The project looks interesting -- hope to hear more about it as you figure things out, Eclipse Smiley

2, to avoid the inevitable comparisons with Spore.
I don't think that's a good reason to choose one over the other?  The comparison to spore would be tenuous and not dimension-dependent anyway.

that's not only populating Tongue 'cause in multiplayer you will need to conquer other players planets or... well, i'm currently planning that things Smiley
I'll echo Melly a bit and suggest, more specifically, probably don't worry too much about multiplayer until you've got the core of the game more nailed down and prototyped.
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

2, to avoid the inevitable comparisons with Spore.
I don't think that's a good reason to choose one over the other?  The comparison to spore would be tenuous and not dimension-dependent anyway.

You'll notice neither of my reasons are particularly good reasons, which was really the point Wink 3D doesn't seem to be a particular boon to the design, though, so I don't see any reason to use it. Also, comparisons of that kind tend to be tenuous and stupid.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:12:37 AM by KingAl » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic