Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:20:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBonkers V2.0 (DEMO)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bonkers V2.0 (DEMO)  (Read 5401 times)
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »

This project is the result of combining Bonkers Sewer Adventure and Banana Nababa 2.

Here is a few vids to showcase what it's like:

Controls are Z X C + space + arrows

You can press B to go directly to the boss in each stage. To get back to the stage selection, simply commit suicide and choose Exit.

Theres 3 stages, none of them are quite complete and have a few dummy rooms each but Toy Factory is the closest to being done, Greenhouse is second and Sewers is last.

The plan is to only have 4 levels from which these 3 must be completed to advance.

Download from:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_04_June_2010.rar
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:54:54 AM by Lazrool » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:11:51 AM »

Hey dude

I tried it out there

I liked the graphical style

I played through the toy factory area and only had a brief look at the others.  couldn't beat the boss

Suggestion: have your healthbar regenerate when you enter each new screen.

I think if something can kill you it shouldn't be able to shoot through it - I had some trouble with the spikey plants in the planty area.  However maybe i'm okay with that, now that I think about it again.

I would suggest more audio feedback from actions.

Also: fullscreen mode : )

I never worked out a use for dash.
MaloEspada
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »

This game feels like a great, unpolished game

-the lack of sfx kills a bit of the experience
-the low res sprites reminiscent of Banana are really great and readable, easily the best aspect
-i liked how you can shoot different weapons (but the bubbler seemed a bit useless)
the difficulty may be a bit high since there aren't health capsules, i couldnt complete a single stage haha. you could have enemies spam health capsules (like those ghosts spammed coins in the original bonkers) or something like that
-it overall feels great, i wonder why no one noticed this
-ah, the music works
maxwell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »

This is pretty awesome. Are you still working on it? In addition to what the others said, I have a couple suggestions:

- It would be nice to have dash in mid-air as an alternative to a second jump.
- Maybe an interesting direction for the game to go would be to allow additional mid-air moves as the player progresses, so for example at the next level up you could triple jump, or jump-dash-jump, etc. Then you can throw more complicated dodging-type situations at the player Smiley the double jump feels really good to me, the little pause makes it really useful for avoiding stuff and I love when it works.
- I wish the gun just fire full speed when you hold the shoot button, tapping is annoying Smiley

Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 03:40:18 AM »

Helo

I still have this thing on the background but I'm atm in one of dem motivational slumps.

The content missing from the game is basically:

1. Last stage (stage #4)
2. Last boss
3. Storyline (I got dis figured out)
4. Sensible frames for the game (like title screen, passwd screen, ending, cinematics etc.)
5. 4th weapon
6. SFX + Music (I'll get some dude to make these, probably phlogiston/din)

I don't think there will be any big changes to the gameplay, sorry. I'm currently making a stage selection screen and trying to come up with some entertaining stage/boss descriptions.

I do plan to add healthdrops to enemies but they will be really rare, just so you know. I won't leave it completely random though. It would work like dis: You kill an enemy and it doesn't drop you anything, so the next enemy you kill will have a bigger chance to drop a healthdrop, rince and repeat until you either get a healthdrop and the chance goes back to the base chance or until the chance for a healthdrop goes all the way to 100%.
increpare
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »

Cool to hear you're still (planning on) working on this.  It's neat : )
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_31_05_2010.rar

Here is a new one.

It'd be great if people would post the parts of the game they dislike, like for example if you think some rooms are too bland or repetetive or some mechanic doesn't really make you jump from joy. I'm currently trying to polish everything I can think of.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »

Got to the first boss and beat him then nothing happened. I really like the game though, graphics are great and it's pretty fun to play. It did get a little bit repetitive at points but I did keep playing. Maybe one or two more enemies in the first stage would be cool Smiley
Katsew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »

Only just seen this topic. It's definitely come a long way since Bonkers in the Sewers.

I like the graphics. They have a good consistent style and the whole game gels well. The enemies and their attacks/movements are also pretty imaginative.

Personally I found it pretty hard, but that's probably because I'm playing way too recklessly. There's not much of a penalty for dying though since you just get to restart the room.

I also sometimes found it difficult to tell what would hurt and what wouldn't. For example, the cactus bushes in the greenhouse. I tried shooting them, but they didn't block my shots so I thought they must be background... only to get hurt when I walked into them.

Any chance of making the controls re-mappable? I found it very strange having space to switch weapon and kept instinctively hitting it when I meant to jump. Not a huge deal though.

Looking forward to playing the finished product.

Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »

Personally I found it pretty hard, but that's probably because I'm playing way too recklessly. There's not much of a penalty for dying though since you just get to restart the room.
It is hard but there will be customizable difficulty settings like how much damage you take from projectiles or enemies or bosses and how tough enemies are etc.

Also there is a penalty: you don't regain your armor when you respawn, only your health, so the game will get harder as you can't take as many hits.

I also sometimes found it difficult to tell what would hurt and what wouldn't. For example, the cactus bushes in the greenhouse. I tried shooting them, but they didn't block my shots so I thought they must be background... only to get hurt when I walked into them.
I'll do something about that. I don't want them to block bullets so maybe I'll make them flash as bullets pass through them or something. Or maybe I'll just animate them.

EDIT: Animated them.

Any chance of making the controls re-mappable? I found it very strange having space to switch weapon and kept instinctively hitting it when I meant to jump. Not a huge deal though.
Not a top priority at this point. They'll be changeable towards the end of this project.

EDIT:

I also want to note that I KNOW the shield weapon is pretty overpowered in it's current incarnation but I'll try out some stuff with it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 09:05:54 PM by Lazrool » Logged
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38:10 AM »

I hope you finish this as it is shaping up to be pretty bad-ass. The graphics are ace, I hope you can get some original music in there though. Also joystick support would be really nice :D

Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »

Here is a new version. Changed some of the musics to be less obnoxious and theres 2 minibosses now in the fortress level.

The stage selection is a bit funky so use Up/Down arrows to navigate through it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_04_June_2010.rar

EDIT:

Please tell me what you think about the minibosses in the fortress level. That is what I'm interested in at this time. There might or might not be more of them in the level in the future.

Possibly 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side. They have to be defeated in order to advance to the stage boss.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:57:30 AM by Lazrool » Logged
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:53 AM »

Well, any suggestions for enemies or obstacles are welcome. I'm trying to add some more content at the moment to all the stages, Greenhouse and Sewers in particular.

I'm thinking maybe I'll add two secret rooms in each stage (one to each side) from which you can regain a portion of your armor and health (like 2 points of each).
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 05:39:15 AM »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Negaman_26_06_2010.rar

Here is the latest version which is only one of the last. This is pretty much the full game, it still needs the original soundtrack and a lot of sounds but this is it.
MaloEspada
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »

i noticed music stops looping after a certain while
in the sewer stage, those spikes could easily be confused by background, i think i died once because i kept hitting it and i didnt know it was a spike; i couldnt beat the boss on this stage either. i think he attacks way more than jumps, so the fight is a bit boring and annoying.

the jungle castlevania stage had a very cool boss, very banana nababa, haha.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic