Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:28:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUin
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Uin  (Read 6110 times)
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
Uin
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »

So this game got frontpaged but so far there's no mention of it here on the forums beyond cactus's recommendation for its frontpaging.

So, let's talk about Uin by biggt. Since this game is so deliberately unexplained, most of what there is to discuss is probably going to be related to the plot and stuff.

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS DO NOT READ BEYOND THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED FINISH THE GAME FIRST

I think it's pretty awesome. The game gave me an overall feeling of being like Kaipuu and Painajainen mixed with Seiklus and then remade by a traumatized six-year-old that just played through part of Au Sable. (The traumatization potentially being caused by Au Sable.) The having-to-kill-everything-everywhere-to-win part was neat.

Most of the game is unexplained, so there are a bunch of features which I especially wonder about the significance of. There are (I think) 14 different "species" of enemies, most having names unrelated to their appearance or behavior. For three of the species, each time you kill a member of that species, a miniature "shadow-version" appears in the place you go when you die. Why just these three? (The moles, tarsiers, and the limpkins.)

Also in the place you go when you die, why is there a flickering shadow version of the tall dude you meet near the start of the game? There are other cryptic, apparently arbitrary things like this (like, in the place the chests take you, the giant crying head, the giant clock-like thing, and the floating head-jellyfish thing which gives you several more charge for each charge you shoot into it), but none of these things correlate to anything else in the way this does.

In space- those monsters with the inflatable pouches, which shoot little faces at you- did anyone find any way to kill them, other than what I did? (I had to jump in front of them, and then use obliterate on their body behind their horn.)

More importantly, has anyone accessed the "special" option on the main menu? If so, how? The readme says "look for hints to unlock this option", but I didn't see anything within the game I could take as a straightforward hint (maybe I am just too uncreative). What does the special option do?

Are there multiple endings? Is it possible to return home before the end of the game- before you have apparently killed your father? Why does the unlockable chest have a sliding puzzle of your father's face on it?

I AM CURIOUS AS TO EVERYONE'S IDEAS ON THESE QUESTIONS
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:41:52 PM »

I came here to ask the same questions.

On the front page, Xab says:
You can unlock special mode by not killing anything before you enter the whale. I don’t think you can win special mode though :/

Also I've only found two of the treasure map items: The mailbox and the one where the spiders used to be.

EDIT: My "Special" highscore is 1056.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:57:07 PM by John Nesky » Logged
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:43:12 PM »

Also I've only found two of the treasure map items: The mailbox and the one where the spiders used to be.

I actually found all but one of the treasures before buying any of the maps, just by digging constantly.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »

I kept on dying early on, and then I stopped playing...
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:26:46 PM »

Yeah, I almost stopped playing at the beginning too. There's really precarious moment right before it becomes clear that you're supposed to kill stuff.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »

i didnt know you were supposed to shoot that white thing in front of mr. weird guy for a looong time. i was like SHIT FUCKS HOW DO I SAVE OR DIG WHAT THE FUCK  Screamy Screamy Screamy Screamy Screamy

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:12:55 PM »

how the hell do I get past the underwater spiky tunnel

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »

Skill.  Cool

...Yeah it's pretty annoying.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »

The spike tunnel bit is way easier if you collect some extra hearts before going through. (The treasures the maps lead you to are hearts.)
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »

OK mini walkthrough

SPOILERS BEYOND

How do I kill things? hold Z to charge up ammo then X to shoot

What are those round shell objects? Shoot them to evert lol

How do I kill 20 of those giant vultures? Once you kill all butterflies in the air area they'll attack en masse

How do I kill the giant maggot? shoot the head until it spits teeth three times

How do I kill the space beetles? Obliterate can be guided left and right with the keys. Direct it onto the beetle's butt

That spiky tunnel is a pain in the ass! 1. Be sure to dig everywhere before flying to get two health bonuses. 2. Once you get past the tunnel you can ESC and continue to restart from the boat ride.

Can I leave the waterfall area? Yep, even before beating the boss. Let a bubble carry you up without jumping or shooting.

How do I go back to areas I've been? Jump down pits.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »

I can't believe that Game Maker Games is still up and running, holy shit.

Anyway I'll try it and post my thoughts. The screenshot intrigues me.

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 05:39:20 PM »

I can't believe that Game Maker Games is still up and running, holy shit.

Anyway I'll try it and post my thoughts. The screenshot intrigues me.

As far as I can tell, the screenshot shown on the Game Maker Games site is actually impossible to achieve in-game. Except maybe in special mode.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 06:01:01 PM »

As far as I can tell, the screenshot shown on the Game Maker Games site is actually impossible to achieve in-game. Except maybe in special mode.
Actually I was talking about the screenshot on the blog. The screenshot on GMG is pretty cool looking too, though.

Also for some reason the dude won't dig when I press down, am I missing something? edit: nvm, I got it. Didn't know I was supposed to shoot the white thing, haha.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:11:19 PM by razzberries » Logged

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

Finished this earlier today... there are lot of really awesome ideas in this thing but the combination of "buggy game" and "really obscure puzzles" got frustrating at times. I kept not being able to tell if something was part of a puzzle or just a bug...

I'm wanting to try out the La La Land games now. What's the best way to approach those? Like does it make sense to just start with #1 and play through from there?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:02:38 PM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 07:55:55 PM »

I'm wanting to try out the La La Land games now. What's the best way to approach those? Like does it make sense to just start with #1 and play through from there?
You can play them in any order, as they are episodic (i.e. do not relate to one another in any way outside of aesthetics). I think they're excellent, by the by - don't go in expecting a, well, game, though. Wink

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 12:43:57 AM »

Ugh, can't seem to dig out whatever it is at the beginning. Took me long enough to figure out you had to shoot those babies and even longer how to.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »

You can play them in any order, as they are episodic (i.e. do not relate to one another in any way outside of aesthetics). I think they're excellent, by the by - don't go in expecting a, well, game, though. Wink

Actually, the ending of La La Land 4 leads directly into the beginning of La La Land 5.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »

Actually, the ending of La La Land 4 leads directly into the beginning of La La Land 5.
Really? Man, it's been a long time.

I just remember 4 and 5 were my favorites.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »

I just remember La La Land confused the fucksticks out of me.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic