Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:28:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGenerallong-lost rom bioforce ape found, acquired for $2700
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: long-lost rom bioforce ape found, acquired for $2700  (Read 5076 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »

nintendo power's preview.

this game was never finished, and nobody was able to play it.

someone once hoaxed the world into thinking he had an actual copy of this game. he made up screenshots, like a butter monster, and a fart attack.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71891

but it was eventually made obvious that it was just a hoax.

but the real one remained missing, nobody was able to play it.

until now.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29031

p.s. thanks to clysm for pointing this event out to me
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:50:52 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:51:42 AM »

This is amazing, but I think the original hoax interests me more than the real game.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:58:51 AM by sergiocornaga » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 06:58:51 AM »

i'm reading through that thread now, ya -- i'm on page 3 or so, it's funny.

the most interesting part about this to me is that 4 of the 5 people in the video during the big reveal of this game have... hipster black thick-rimmed glasses. even the girl. this confirms that there is a strong overlap between hipsters and rom collectors.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »

It essentially ends on page 4 in what is probably the best way possible.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »

THREAD SPOILERS BELOW

reading that thread i couldn't believe how dumb they all were, most people there people were still believing that it was real even after he made the butter and ape communism screens and said 'there's no santa claus'. -- clearly mocking the people in the thread who were talking about greedy buttery people and communists. even after he smashed the cart there were people offering to buy it in the hopes they could piece it back together.

but that's just hindsight, i would probably have fell for it too, there's no way to know.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 07:29:18 AM »

Why are people more interested in non-existing games than existing ones?

Point in case: Duke Nukem For(n)ever.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:38:14 AM »

but... this game does exist.

Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:25 AM »

I don't think anyone on that thread ever played this game.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:44:56 AM »

early on yeah, but check the latter posts in it (the ones from 2010)

regardless, i'm not sure what your point is. are you saying that if someone hasn't played a game, it's not real, and thus not worth being interested in, even if in fact it's a real game? i don't really see anything wrong with being interested in real games that one can hope to play, even if they're rare and hard to play. i was a subscriber to nintendo power early on, and i remember that preview from back in 1990 or so, and always wanted to play that game. there are a lot of games previewed in nintendo power that never got released actually.

Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 07:51:41 AM »

I mean that it is kinda silly for people to be obsessed about something like this. If you are so passionate about NES, then I guess it is sort of interesting from your viewpoint - to find the once thought lost gems and complete your experience.

But obsession can never be a healthy thing.

Now then, if you would excuse me as I am about to obsess over the chick in that video.  Kiss
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:11 AM »

i think finding something cool to play doesn't equal obsession -- what makes you think i or they are obsessed? might as well say that if i think a video of rainbow brite is cool and make a forum topic about it that i'm obsessed with rainbow brite.

as an aside, my impression of that girl in that video was that she was mildly retarded or drunk or something -- like she kept saying the weirdest, stupidest things, perhaps as if she were stoned

anyway, new userpic made in honor of this thread and my supposed obsession with it (the ape in it is bioforce ape)

actually i'd think it were odd if someone didn't at least find the idea of playing an old nes game that never saw the light of day a little cool. especially one with blast processing! this has been called the 'holy grail of lost NES games' -- lost for 20 years. and now it's found this week. that's a bit newsworthy just for historical value.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:20:03 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:36 AM »

That's pretty nifty!  The animations look surprisingly fluid, and make me wonder how much the limited animation in other games of the era is due to restricted art budgets rather than technical constraints.

I think the host guy in the videos talked a little about how he'd been obsessed with that particular game for a while, above his general interest in old/lost games.  He also mumbled a fair bit when asked if he'd release the ROM publicly.  Hopefully that's protecting himself from being seen endorsing "piracy" (anyone would have a hard time arguing that copying that ROM represents a lost retail sale) rather than him planning to keep it locked away.

Obsession might not be 'healthy' for the individual, but a lot less stuff would get achieved by humanity in general if there weren't some people getting obsessed by their particular area of interest.  Admittedly an old game obsession isn't going to uncover many fundamental laws of the universe or cure diseases, but it does mean we all get to see a neat game.

I know someone will know this:  Are there other games with a similar effect on fast moving elevator platforms where the character appears to get pinned down to it by the G-force?  I particularly liked that in the videos, along with the tumbling animations when the ape fell long distances.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »

I want to say this is cool, but I don't want to fall into the trap of some sort of hoax joke that this game isn't real. Then everyone will laugh at me and make me look like an idiot in front of all of my friends.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »

i think he plans to release the rom eventually, just not immediately. the group that bought the game had that purpose, anyway (it wasn't just him that bought it, it was like four people combining to reach the 2700$ needed to win the game).

but as far as i know, they'll make the rom public eventually. one of the people who helped pay for the game was actually the guy who started that thread and faked the screenshots, and that guy was also working on a homebrew fake-version of this game when the real one was discovered.

and yeah, i can see how he can be called obsessed, since it was a lot of money and he also did this for another lost game (penn and teller's smoke and mirrors for the sega cd -- he's the guy who found that long-lost game and released the rom of it too). but that's sort of his hobby. i just meant that i don't think that anyone who finds this event interesting or enjoys reading about obscure games is obsessed.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »

I dunno, I'm glad there are people with the dedication to uncover this stuff and release it to the public. I mean, for instance, if it weren't for people "obsessed" with Japanese games, I doubt most of us would know that games like Cave Story or La-Mulana even exist.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »

seems like he runs absurdly fast

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »

i think they wanted to make it feel like sonic, and coded blast processing

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »

My favorite part of this game was the butter monster, I heard there was a wiiware port in the pipelines (NIKLOS)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »

new icon again, since i'm not actually obsessed with bioforce ape and the recoloring made it unrecognizable

there is not actually a butter monster in this game

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »

I think you are misreading the thread, there IS actually a butter monster, just that it's not like the one in the first thread

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic