Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:14:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGMy First Skydiving Academy(FINISHED)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: My First Skydiving Academy(FINISHED)  (Read 82879 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2008, 06:22:18 AM »

Download here, hope you get a few minutes o fun out of it.

EDIT: OK ITS DONE

www.theirongaia.com/test/SKYDIVING ACADEMY.zip
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:42:30 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »

You might wanna edit your post with the VGNG message icon so people know it's about the compo.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »

thanks man fixed, hope kenny loggins doesnt mind, but ill be "sampling" my music from the 80's epic, top gun.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:25:30 AM »

Some more thought tonight, its going to be like a vertical "racing" game, that you sort of throw your students down these narrow rocky canyons in order to graduate, they hit the walls, break bones, lose limbs, and dodgy ragdoll kicks in as they sky dive to the base, even though its not realy skydiving, i dont give a shit.  Its more like realy poor planning on the schools behalf what and where they are diving into.  You need at least 1 intact bone for the student not to pass out, and hence graduate when you hit the bottom, and the game will also be timered so using the parachute to early is bad.

Now google tells me the human body has 206 bones, so thats the hp stats done, im going to use silhouettes for foreground stuff because i wont finish otherwise, and dodgy vector styled backgrounds in a sort of low res mashup.  Hopefully I can include limbs being snapped off, a bit of silhouetted gore, all the good stuff.

Ive got 3 levels concepted which are different themed "classes", each with a different difficulty setting, whether more or less are done is realy up to time.
Each student in theroy should offer something different gameplay wise, but thats a extra for now, ill stick to getting the core dodgy ragdollTM engine down with some rocks crumbling when you hit walls and shit, after the art will be the easy part. 

I better get programming, was tossing up tgb, but going with mmf2 since ive used it b4, more later.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »

So apparently im "Sick", this is what im doing, screw it, ive coded it.  For once in my life im not going to turn the art into some pixel perfect polish run, just keep it low colours, simple as hell, resembling a flash game or similar. 

The babies will be screaming at first, but once they hit a few rocks im sure they will shutup a bit haha, side note, babies have more bones than adults, you learn something every day.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:49:35 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:01:32 AM »

Sweet box, I love the baby in the corner with the flight goggles, and how you didn't get rid of the text on the left.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:32:14 AM »

So apparently im "Sick", this is what im doing, screw it, ive coded it.

Sick is a-ok with me.  In fact, this right here:

The babies will be screaming at first, but once they hit a few rocks im sure they will shutup a bit haha, side note, babies have more bones than adults, you learn something every day.

means your game just made my watch-list.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Corpus
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

Awesome. This sounds like several kinds of addictive.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:33:00 AM »

I dont know if the flash embedded thing works, but i knocked out a vid thismourning before job hunting.  UI is kinda dodgy as shit atm, sounds are kinda anoying too, im fixing it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 01:39:28 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 01:39:59 AM »

oh my god  :D

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:55:41 AM »

FALLING BABY + RAGDOLL PHYSICS + TOP GUN = MASSIVE WIN.
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:11:20 AM »

winner :D

Untitled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »

Holy shit, as sick as the concept is, it actually looks really well done haha. Good work  :D
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 04:54:42 AM »

This is amazing  Shocked

It also kind of reminds me of an idea I've been kicking around for a game called Pinbaby, which would basically be classic pinball with a ragdoll baby, but there would also be nasty traps that you have to keep the baby away from.

tweet tweet @j_younger
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 05:11:55 AM »

This thing is all flavours of awesomesauce. I never thought that flinging a baby down a canyon would be so much fun! And it educates people on an important lesson, too: No matter how hilarious it is for a baby to smash into the sides of a canyon, it's bad.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:51:15 AM »

That is fucking beautiful. Kiss

(am I sick too?)

olücæbelel
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 07:14:47 AM »

Thanks for the good stuff!

Ok now, anyone have any solid ideas how to expand the difficulty/longevity?  I don't really want to turn this into weaving through almost impossible bends etc, as that might get frustrating, but who knows, feedback DEFINITELY welcomed.  Ive got 3 themed stages, and I sort of wanted to work the features into them so it was less of a afterthought.

Ok so theres the snow level, first thing i thought, was a fucking avalanche would rock, so ill try to add it, this would make it the hardest of the 3 levels, the music for this level is the danger zone.

second is the tropical stage, will be themed to "playing with the boys", again from topgun, hooooopppppefully, if i can pull it off, id like to do sort of vines, maybe rope bridges that you can crash into if you choose the wrong path, I thought volcanoes would be cool also, but I cant think of a really effective way to implement that one.

Last is the stage you saw, desert, which is the easiest difficulty, with very little in the way of obstacles, i was thinking about adding some ragdoll birds that you can sort of plow into, that would be a laugh.  This level will have "mighty wings"playing.

FEEDBACK ME
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:16:27 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 07:18:44 AM »

Ragdoll birds would be awesome. :D

I dunno about anything else. Maybe like...little sets of flags, like you get in skiing or something, which you don't *have* to do but you get extra points for?

olücæbelel
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 08:48:01 AM »

Perhaps a small altitude meter on the side that you have to keep track of in order to deploy a parachute towards the end of the level.  Deploying too early would cause your points to tick away to nothing, plus maybe your chute could tear off on obstacles so you'd plummet the rest of the way with no chance of finishing gracefully.  Pulling it too late would result in smacking the ground too hard, but a graceful landing would result in some sort of bonus.

There definitely should not be some kind of alert when to pull your chute, though.  It should be something the player has to keep an eye on himself.

I agree with shinygerbil, too.  Some sort of flags to navigate through, or maybe collectibles would be good.  Like milk bottles or something.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:49:32 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »

good idea on the altitude meter man, ima add it see how it plays, I might throw some "Gates" in though im skeptical, it crossed my mind before when i wanted to stear clear of turning it into a skiing game, thanks for the ideas reguardless guys  Grin

How bout collecting childrens panadol?

Too much?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic