Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998223 Posts in 39148 Topics- by 30559 Members - Latest Member: TinyAngryCrab

April 18, 2014, 07:39:03 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 128
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 323151 times)
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:46:48 PM »

authors who've finished a game previously may now RE-ENTER THE FRAY and pick another game!

changed the controls from Z and X and escape to X and C and escape!

added some rules regarding controls. please see them below

"YEAH! WOO! YEAH! Make your selection now." - Action 52

signup here

first things first...
WHAT IS ACTION 52

Action 52 is a multicart consisting of 52 individual and original video games, released in 1991 for the Nintendo Entertainment System and in 1993 for the Mega Drive consoles by Active Enterprises (there was also a Super Nintendo Entertainment System version advertised in some magazines, but was never released). It was initially sold for the comparatively high price of US$199 (or "less than $4 for each game"), and became notorious among gamers for the poor quality of its games. Many video game collectors value Action 52 for its notoriety and rarity.

thanks wikipedia!

paul eres wants me to show this to you. AV(irgi)GN plays this terrible game.

SO WHAT IS ACTION 52 OWNS?

ACTION 52 OWNS (tentative title) is going to be two week long jam, consisting of 52 different game developers creating GOOD remakes of each of the 52 games on this terrible cart. we are going to make a GOOD ACTION 52.

WHERE CAN I GET THE ORIGINAL ACTION 52?

at the risk of being sued and banned, i've provided a copy of the game here. some NES emulators are unable to run the game. find one that does! (i've tested it on NNNester. it doesn't run on FCEU or FCEUX and apparently runs slowly on nestopia)

BUT I WANT TO DO CHEETAHMEN

cheetahmen has the distinction of being one of the most notorious of the games on this cartridge. as such, it's not simply 'up for grabs.' throughout the course of this thread, people may throw their hats in for the honor of doing this title justice. i will choose someone at my discretion.

RULES AND GUIDELINES

first and foremost DO NOT MAKE TERRIBLE DEMAKES. these games are terrible enough in their unfiltered, unrefined form, there's no way i want to see these games made even worse with some "HEH KLIK ANE PLAEYE!!!!!"-esque humor. the point of this game jam is to create a resultant game that maintains the integrity of the original game intact, while making some allowances for the sake of gameplay/fun. again, i will repeat: PUT EFFORT INTO THESE REMAKES AND MAKE THEM LEGITIMATELY FUN GAMES TO PLAY (and try your hardest to make them look good too). don't try to make your games funny through stupid means! keep it real! keep it pure.

in trying to maintain the essence of the original game, a good rule of thumb is to play at least to the second level, before selecting a game and remaking it. a faq containing all of the games and their stories might also come in handy!

please try to stick to the original stories as much as possible. they are great

the game does not have to be a faithful recreation! just keep the spirit of the game alive, somehow!

the ingame music should be as similar to the source material as possible. this may mean having to find a musician. there are many talented and fine musicians on these forums, and i'm sure you'll be able to find one that can do a remix of a 10 second ditty (as most of the music in these 52 games tend to be).

in terms of graphics, choose your own style, but BE WARNED: i am limiting you to a resolution of 640x480. do whatever it takes to achieve this resolution (up/down-scaling, WHATEVER). if you are including a fullscreen option, please add an option to turn it off (the games are to run natively in windowed mode). if you are going to rip graphics from the game, please either make the effort to enhance them, or find an artist who can.

all games should be runnable via an EXE file. that means no "install python then run this batch file" games, and no "drag this to your browser" or anything like that! the games should be runnable by simply executing an EXE file.

please only use the following controls: arrows, X and C and escape.

all games should feature a menu with a the game's official title (see wikipedia/signup page), a one/two player option (note: it's not required for you to add a two player option), and a "main menu" option that quits the game. the escape key should return the player to the main menu, and pressing escape on the main menu should quit the game. you enter the game by pressing X or C on the main menu.

the reason i am making these strict demands is that i want the finish product to seem like a single, cohesive package. i understand that many people are using different programming packages, and that some of your packages will not be able to comply to these standards. if that is the case, i'm sorry but you'll have to sit this one out!

anything else goes (this includes collaborations, whatever.)

THIS PROJECT WILL GO ON FOR LOOSELY 2 WEEKS (UNTIL MAY 14th) OVERTIME MODE UNLOCKED

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!

i've hacked together a really sloppy signup page here. it requires you to do some simple stuff to your TIGsource profile, but it's nothing too major (and it doesn't steal any information, so relax!)

http://www.superfundungeonrun.com/action52/index.php

if you are having second doubts about doing a project, the only way to remove your reservation of a game is to PM me, or email me at [email protected].

MAKE YOUR SELECTION NOW (and unban superjoe)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:40:41 PM by mr. podunkian » Logged

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:02:24 PM »

i chose micro mike

mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:04:18 PM »

i'm doing underground. babbys first spelunky? sure.

Scattle
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »

Yeah, I want IN  Cool

ACTION-52-51114E85

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:12:37 PM »

AND MY AXE

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:47:41 PM »

My sig says it all.  In a week though?  I hope so!  Shocked

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Overkill
Level 3

Andrew G. Crowell

overkill9999@gmail.com Minimum+Overkill
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »

Prepare for a rockin' Sharks remake.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »

DICKS YES.
Andrew Brophy
Level 1

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:56:23 AM »

I'm in (I think).

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:00:09 AM »

i want that one, whatever the hell one that is

edit : MADCHESTER INNIT
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:09:08 AM by r.kachowski » Logged

i have to return some videotapes
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 01:34:22 AM »

I will try some remixes then.

smn
Level 0

646988 sohnemann.msn@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:46:08 AM »

Reporting in for French Baker. Wohoo!
Luca Pavone
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »

For my first game made for this site, I would like to have a go at Shooting Gallery!

Have a Nice Day!

ACTION-52-200A3AB8
"Shooting Gallery"
JMickle
Level 10

lqikq come home

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 04:08:46 AM »

yeah dudes chat me up for some music i want in but cant makes games for shit

music man music call me yeh

Andrew Brophy
Level 1