Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:03:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 538102 times)
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1020 on: June 12, 2010, 09:01:24 AM »

Newest Ninja Assault:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/254701/blog/action52/6_11/index.html

It's been slow going mainly because I started on another project with a vastly more interesting implementation-time-to-results ratio. That in turn means that I'm going to have to keep my interest on this one up by making this game's design cooler than the average beat-em-up.

I'm thinking of something where bashing the enemies flings them into targets and you try to min/max the supply of enemies against the available targets to get a high score on each "course," rather than just do a boring progression through the levels. I'll have to work out how to make the enemies behave interestingly enough so that this is challenging and fun though...I think that can be done.

is the ninja suppose to be dancing to the music in tights?

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: June 12, 2010, 10:58:48 AM »

CRITICAL BYPASS progress report

First level of the game is now fully playable, here's the new builds (same links as before):

Web: http://lockeddoorpuzzle.com/site/sites/default/files/jamgames/CriticalBypass.html
Mac: http://lockeddoorpuzzle.com/site/sites/default/files/jamgames/CriticalBypassWin.zip
Windows: http://lockeddoorpuzzle.com/site/sites/default/files/jamgames/CriticalBypassMac.zip

Controls are arrows keys to move, X to lock on to enemies, and release X to fire

This is finally coming together so I really want to finish this off over the next few days.

My new to-do to finish this off:
- Balance/improve attack patterns
- Improve HUD graphics
- Add three more levels based on same code
- Make HUD scale to higher resolutions
- Keep track of high scores

I'm pretty sure the extra levels will be fairly easy, going to reuse most of what is there already with some different environments.

MaloEspada
« Reply #1022 on: June 12, 2010, 11:20:35 AM »

Newest Ninja Assault:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/254701/blog/action52/6_11/index.html

It's been slow going mainly because I started on another project with a vastly more interesting implementation-time-to-results ratio. That in turn means that I'm going to have to keep my interest on this one up by making this game's design cooler than the average beat-em-up.

I'm thinking of something where bashing the enemies flings them into targets and you try to min/max the supply of enemies against the available targets to get a high score on each "course," rather than just do a boring progression through the levels. I'll have to work out how to make the enemies behave interestingly enough so that this is challenging and fun though...I think that can be done.

the run animation doesn't match the character's speed, just pointing it out
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:34:53 PM by rdein » Logged
AtionSong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1023 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »

Updated Hambo: Download .zip

Changes:
- Updated menu to A52 style (change with "C"; select with "X")
- Changed control system based on podunkian's suggestion:
-- ^ and V move you forward and backward
-- < and > rotate you counterclockwise and clockwise, respectively
-- C + < or > strafes left and right
-- X jumps
- Added collectibles & two additional achievements
- Minor behind-the-scenes script cleanup & a few model improvements

i kind of wish the game had more to do with the source material. the original game was quite donkey kong-y.

My first test level for the game was a 3D model directly copying the first level of the original Hambo, but I found that the ladder-climb gameplay didn't translate very well--it was just really tedious. I decided to do more traditional horizontal gameplay, but tried to retain the idea of climbing upward by making the gameplay on multiple floors of a factory and using multiple levels in the rooms. Just to explain the reason behind that.

In closing, tomorrow I am packing up (well, technically I've already packed) and moving to a temporary residence for the next few weeks. I'll have my laptop with me, but it's processor is not quite up to the task of running Unity. For all intensive purposes, (because I think the hope is that, by the time I have my desktop up and running, this collab would be over) you can consider this the "final" (v1.0) version of the game. I'll try to keep up with this thread from afar, but best of luck to all the other devs until I'm back again! Gentleman

On the web: www.worldofarcana.com -- Orange Box: The Musical!:

-- "All is grist that comes to the mill"
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: June 12, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »

Updated Storm over the Desert (feat. unsilentwill): http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1276375339

Anyone have any tips on packaging an flash game as an exe?

increpare
« Reply #1025 on: June 12, 2010, 01:53:52 PM »

Updated Storm over the Desert (feat. unsilentwill): http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1276375339

Just open up flash projector, I think that allows you to open stuff and export as exe.
pgil
« Reply #1026 on: June 12, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »

SO i might as well post this. First two levels of Rocket Jockey.

git it here

Let me know what you think. I already know the first boss is lame.
MaloEspada
« Reply #1027 on: June 12, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »

Very nice, pgil. The music is great, the controls are great and the pacing is just fine IMO. The graphics are very nice too (specially the space backgrounds).

I didn't like a lot the first "mini boss" (the bulls). It's a bit hard to hit them, taking me a few minutes to get past it.

The first boss is a bit boring, yeah, but mainly because you need to wait til you can hit it. Maybe have it move more, or change its patterns faster?
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1028 on: June 12, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »

the run animation doesn't match the character's speed, just pointing it out

Thanks, I never got around to tuning it and then stopped paying attention. It'll be better next build.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1029 on: June 12, 2010, 02:54:41 PM »

For turning flash into exes you can do the projector way or this which lets you better handle it:

http://www.goldshell.com/versiown/main.htm

also its free
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1030 on: June 12, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »

HandCraftedRadio and I are beginning to work on our second game, City of Doom.  Got finished with a mockup.  If our plans go accordingly it should have a pretty interesting mechanic to it.  I'm going with a slightly modified gameboy palette for this one.

increpare
« Reply #1031 on: June 12, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »

Looking cool, Nate!
pgil
« Reply #1032 on: June 12, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »

the two lightest greens are too close imo. Otherwise it tres bien.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 12, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »

Open the SWF in a projector, go the the File menu, and there should be an option to create a projector, which will basically create another projector that runs your game as an exe.

And then you can use a program like Versiown to alter the exe to add your own icon and copyright information.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1034 on: June 12, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »

consider this the "final" (v1.0) version of the game. I'll try to keep up with this thread from afar, but best of luck to all the other devs until I'm back again! Gentleman

I just played this through. Kind of felt like you could have done a lot more with it than just maintaining the jumping over balls mechanic.

However that aside, this still feels fairly rough in places. Especially the menus and ending (both the external area and the text that follows). If you've not got the ability to work on this anymore would you perhaps be willing to share the source and maybe I could help you polish it up a little? Not suggesting I'd make any major changes but could at least give you a nicer opening menu and ending.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1035 on: June 12, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »

I quit playing the Hambo game, because the controls were so frustrating. Spins way too fast. I guess it's not absolutely terrible, but if I was Podunk I would drop you and open up the slot for someone more capable of producing a better game.

If you can tell by the others, they took inspiration from the source material and expanded on it. You just took the ball jumping over balls mechanic and made a pretty uninspired fps jumping game. Hambo's Adventure has a lot of potential, with a pig as a main character. I don't really see it being as successful with a first person perspective game.

Just played Storms Over Desert and the latest Rocket Jockey-great games!

edit: apparently someone else has a project called action 52 revisited, there's a couple of videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/vvvexp97
Looks like a solo thing, interesting to note though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:44:14 PM by allen » Logged
L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1036 on: June 12, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »

SO i might as well post this. First two levels of Rocket Jockey.
Stylish!

* The horsemen need some kind of warning before they appear. I suggest recalling Gokujou Parodius and its flashing exclamation marks and arrows on the edges of the screen. One of those before each of those guys pops in would be fine.
* In stage 2 a bullet ended up just sloooowly drifting across the screen for about a minute. Give them a limited lifetime of 5 to 10 seconds?
* The 2nd boss needs another period of vulnerability in-between its two attack phases. Otherwise, it just takes too long.
* Bug: losing a life to the 2nd boss makes Game Maker call an error.
* What exactly is the ship's hitbox? This is very important! Is it just the entire sprite or what? (If so, I think you should possibly make it a bit smaller to give folks some leeway.)

* I appreciate the automatic targeting, and think its scope ought to be just a bit wider.
* I've come to the conclusion that the rocks are really more pestersome than they ought to be. Remove some of them, please.
* Also, the power poles continue to be one-hit-kills despite being quite finicky to navigate around. Can't they just do damage and be destroyed?
* Enemy tanks, from the moment they are hit, should instantly lose collision-detection. I've lost a bit too many tanks to running into an already-dead enemy.
* Any cheats?
* Also: some kind of opening jingle. Not sure what, though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:09:47 PM by L » Logged
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 12, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »

i think you're kind of missing the point -- the game has almost no elements of the original gameplay material in it, and i think the game is far too rough to be anywhere near a first finished version of the game. i think i'm going to remove your game from the list for the same reason i removed allen early on in the competition, sorry!

AtionSong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1038 on: June 12, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »

No skin off my back. I hope you find what you're looking for.

On the web: www.worldofarcana.com -- Orange Box: The Musical!:

-- "All is grist that comes to the mill"
Akakoma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 12, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »

Hello, gentlemen!  Gentleman

I know that when all games will be completed, it will be bundled with an launcher, but until that time comes, for those who can't wait, here's my little launcher:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D5IBSMQC

Just put games into precreated folders in the <games> folder.
Also there's an dummy file <select.ogg> in the <data\music> folder, you can replace it with a music one.

Cheers!  Coffee

PS. Sorry for my bad English.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic