Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:34:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 534973 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1040 on: June 12, 2010, 10:12:29 PM »

A manbaby posts, as his first post, a "launcher" for a project that already has one (later on, when Podunk makes it). A launcher that is not really needed, I might add.

Sounds awfully fishy to me.
MaloEspada
« Reply #1041 on: June 12, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »

A manbaby posts, as his first post, a "launcher" for a project that already has one (later on, when Podunk makes it). A launcher that is not really needed, I might add.

Sounds awfully fishy to me.

You shouldn't quote podunkian's future posts, dude.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1042 on: June 12, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »

Haha the launcher is badass though. Unless MrPodunkian is going to come up with something better? This thing is perfect. (Edit: aside from the fact that is does not play the intro music/animation..it just has the cheetahman "make your selection now" which is still cool, would rather have the whole thing)

It even relaunches itself after the game is closed by pressing Main Menu. Just tested it with streemerz and it works great.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:29:48 PM by allen » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1043 on: June 12, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »

Awesome! Sorry if I came off a little strong, it's just that it was sort of suspicious judging by the aforementioned qualities.

If it's super-rad, maybe we should consider using it!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1044 on: June 12, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »

I just tried it with all the released games so far, and it works perfectly.

The only game that had an issue was Mash Man, because I didn't notice it had a hidden "data" folder inside the zip. So you have to unhide the folder and make sure you copy it correctly.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1045 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »

Thanks very much for the feedback on Storm.

I just tried Rocket Jockey, and had a lot of fun with it. I especially like the sound.

One thing is that I found the hud rather small. I tended not to notice what was happening on it, which probably meant I missed out on understanding some of the game mechanics.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:49:35 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 13, 2010, 12:41:30 AM »

Updated Storm over the Desert (feat. unsilentwill): http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1276375339

Played it some more. Amazing graphics so far. The gameplay with controlling all the tanks as one formation is very interesting, but also very frustrating to try and weave around those tight obstacles with four tanks.

Also, those mounds of dirt that hurt the tanks at the beginning are almost the same color as the ground. Make them more apparent, I lost a tank there twice before I figured out what the crap was going on.

The collision detection with the soldiers seems a bit off. They sometimes die when I'm only somewhat close to them.

Difficulty ramps up a bit too quickly, I think.

It's good stuff, overall, and has awesome potential.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1047 on: June 13, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »

Also, those mounds of dirt that hurt the tanks at the beginning are almost the same color as the ground. Make them more apparent, I lost a tank there twice before I figured out what the crap was going on.

The collision detection with the soldiers seems a bit off. They sometimes die when I'm only somewhat close to them.

Yeah, the mounds are meant to be mines. I'm planning to put in a better explosion when they trigger, which might make it more clear what they are. Maybe something in the intro text too, if I get aroud to adding any.

The soldiers are probably getting killed by your machine guns, which work automatically. I put in the effects for them on the cheap, and I guess it shows.

L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1048 on: June 13, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »

Look out, world - Silver Sword build 3

New features include: diagonal aiming; tweaked physics; more foes; sound effects; helpful signs; health meter. (But dying/respawning is yet to come.)
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: June 13, 2010, 07:15:04 AM »

Look out, world - Silver Sword build 3

New features include: diagonal aiming; tweaked physics; more foes; sound effects; helpful signs; health meter. (But dying/respawning is yet to come.)

You going to do any more work on the enemy AI? They all currently just move directly towards you if they can which isn't that fun. You just end up doing loops around to get enough distance to shoot at them. Personally I think it would be better if the different enemy types had some different behvaiours, even if one of two are just walking patrol paths and engage when you get very close.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:19:26 AM by Perrin » Logged

L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1050 on: June 13, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »

I personally think that for just the first level I can make do with putting the current enemies in situations where it is quite impractical to try and kill them outright. A good deal of these situations involve the "Big Guy" - an enemy that (as you can see in the later screens) runs faster than you. But I'll be sure to think of other possibilities for the later levels.
L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1051 on: June 13, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »

Live via twitter.com/increpare: beat-em-up programming made easy difficult.
http://yfrog.com/9gr3jp
http://yfrog.com/g03skp
http://yfrog.com/75dw9p
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: June 13, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »

I personally think that for just the first level I can make do with putting the current enemies in situations where it is quite impractical to try and kill them outright. A good deal of these situations involve the "Big Guy" - an enemy that (as you can see in the later screens) runs faster than you. But I'll be sure to think of other possibilities for the later levels.

The problem I had is that once a few of them got free from the obstacles I just had a zombie like horde constantly moving at me, and the patterns I had to move to keep some distance and shoot them wasn't particulary enjoyable. Would have just felt better for me personally if everything on the screen wasn't constantly trying to stand where I was.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:48:28 AM by Perrin » Logged

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1053 on: June 13, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »

Live via twitter.com/increpare: beat-em-up programming made easy difficult.
http://yfrog.com/9gr3jp
http://yfrog.com/g03skp
http://yfrog.com/75dw9p

This sounds exactly like where I was about two weeks ago Big Laff And after starting on the AI state machines(examples here and here), I realized "this could easily be another month if I went through and tried to formulate all the enemies like a 'proper' beat-em-up, and it would still kind of suck and have 1000 tuning issues." Which is why I'm changing the design tack really sharply now.

Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 13, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »

didn't get too much actual level design done, but I did get the text boxes to work:

I also got the attack working too

Now, should I keep in the, "air stall" when you attack in mid air? I actually sorta want to

ACTION-52-51114E85

CPW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 13, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »

Yes, you should.

Looking good, by the way.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: June 13, 2010, 12:02:03 PM »

just found this today.
action 52 on first place...
http://www.ugo.com/games/the-worst-video-games-of-all-time?page=11

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
MaloEspada
« Reply #1057 on: June 13, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »

awesomeness

My only question is, isn't that a weird resolution? I think you need to do 320x240 and then scale it to 640x480?
increpare
« Reply #1058 on: June 13, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

Looking interesting, scattle : )
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 13, 2010, 12:46:43 PM »

That's looking pretty good Scattle. Is that a post-apocalyptic vibe I'm getting from that character design? Has the world been sunken into the Sweetness Apocalypse, and now candy mutants rule the sugar wastelands?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic