Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:23:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 538087 times)
L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: July 01, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »

So here's the first level of sombreros. Looking for feedback before I duplicate frames.

The first level is quite pretty and has a nice amount of variety... however, I feel that the most efficient and safe way to play this is to not shoot the guys at all but to just run past them. In fact, the mere application of a gate past that bridge, forcing progress to a halt, results in the second-most climactic scene in the level after the boss. I think you could create something joyously tense if you made the second or subsequent levels auto-scrolling. Either that, or stop the enemies from halting whenever they loose a bullet.

The time-freeze-targeting seems to slow the pace of the game down. It makes sense for the very promising 'duel' event, but not quite so much for the easily escaped mooks in the remainder of the level. Maybe if there was some sort of bonus for using it instead of just free-shooting, and maybe if it didn't pause the enemies and bullets outright but slowed them down to a trickle, so that you had a bit of pressure to line up your targets quickly.

One word about the boss: while the word "pry" is part of the meme you're referencing, it doesn't make any sense at all in the context of hats and heads, which don't have fingers or hooks or anything to pry apart.

Good job on the production values for the graphics and music, by the way.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1281 on: July 01, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »

Sombreros was awesome! Graphics and music were excellent. I did find the same thing as L, though, that it was easiest to just run past all of the enemies. The gates did help to prevent this a little bit, but the main reason that I just ran past all of the enemies was because the aiming wasn't very easy. I thought it was a little weird that you had to stop shooting to aim your gun in a different direction. It seems to me like it would be easier if you just shot in the direction you were walking in. Great job though, I really liked it!

Saker
« Reply #1282 on: July 01, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

I've finally finished my exams , now I can get to work on the game , I Made some changes today :-

Is this better or the original smaller version ?! ( I prefer this on as it's less boring ? )

oh , And I swear the next time I post here , there'll be a game for you to download Tongue
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: July 01, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »

It's really hard to tell what's going on, or what you're trying to do. The graphics are definitely many steps up from the original, but it still seems to suffer from tiny sprites and confusing objectives.

Saker
« Reply #1284 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »

Well , The objective is to kill everybody and get enough points to move on to the next stage , with some ninja skills and (puzzles?! maybe) ...about the size , here's the original size I was talking about :

so ,Which one do you think is better ?!
For the original one it's too hard to have a good level design out of it , what do you think ?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:42:06 AM by Saker » Logged
increpare
« Reply #1285 on: July 02, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »

I give up.  Cheetahmen is not working out for me at all.  I'm sorry for using up the space for so long.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 02, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »

I give up.  Cheetahmen is not working out for me at all.  I'm sorry for using up the space for so long.
sorry to hear that -- i've freed up your slot.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1287 on: July 02, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »

Rocket Jockey and Illuminator both made it on indiegames.com/blog today. How many does that make now?
Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 02, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »

Wasn't Konjak doing Cheetahmen?

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1289 on: July 02, 2010, 05:54:51 PM »

he said he couldn't make the deadline and freed the spot.

now that there isn't much of a deadline anymore he should pick it back up
the main characters looked great.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: July 02, 2010, 07:32:04 PM »

Well , The objective is to kill everybody and get enough points to move on to the next stage , with some ninja skills and (puzzles?! maybe) ...about the size , here's the original size I was talking about :

so ,Which one do you think is better ?!
For the original one it's too hard to have a good level design out of it , what do you think ?
I prefer this version (the bigger one)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: July 02, 2010, 07:36:01 PM »

Yeah, me too. But you seem to keep the dumb limitations of the first game of keeping it all on one screen. As long as it keeps the same style as the original, the gameplay can change as much as you want. Have fun with it.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 02, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »

I've gotten caught up with a lot of stuff I can't postpone recently, so Sharks development has been suffering, and I prefer not to rush it and release a half-baked job. As such, it may take a good while longer, so if you feel you should you're free to free up the slot Podunkian. I will finish it, just not sure how much longer it'll take.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 02, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »

Rocket Jockey and Illuminator both made it on indiegames.com/blog today. How many does that make now?

Say wha?  But I'm not finished yet!

Aw, sorry to hear that; I was looking forward to it.
I wonder who's gonna take it now, this crown jewel of the Action 52 cartridge?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: July 02, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »

I would like to see a prototype of cheetahmen at least.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
increpare
« Reply #1295 on: July 02, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »

I wonder who's gonna take it now, this crown jewel of the Action 52 cartridge?

he said he couldn't make the deadline and freed the spot.

now that there isn't much of a deadline anymore he should pick it back up
the main characters looked great.

: )
Borgi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 03, 2010, 03:30:18 AM »

hello there,
i've made the music for bits and pieces:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wybwtk04wnf

heres the original:

GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: July 03, 2010, 04:38:04 AM »

Posting just to say things are still moving along on Chill Out but at a slow pace. Still having a hell of a time finding time for it, but I have the music now and the levels figured out. I feel really awful for taking this long, I just haven't had much free time, but things are getting done.

L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1298 on: July 03, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »

hello there,
i've made the music for bits and pieces:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wybwtk04wnf
This is pretty good. What's your plan for this game?
L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1299 on: July 03, 2010, 08:15:08 AM »

Some Illuminator suggestions:
* There should probably be a more distinct sound effect for taking damage. It doesn't seem to be notified quite enough.
* I don't get the point of the second flashlight meter - the one for simply casting light. It recharges almost instantly (compared to the flash meter) and you're already flicking the flashlight on and off pretty regularly to use your attack, and its steady decreasing bar seems to serve more as a distraction away from what's important (the flash meter). Having just one meter would be a bit cleaner.
* The flash meter's charging sound effects sound too, to put it in words, 'ghostly'. For a good amount of time I thought they were the cries of ghouls. It should sound a bit more sharp and clear.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic