Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:37:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 537830 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: August 16, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »

just write the filename between the two blocks.
It must be on the internet.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1761 on: August 16, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »

just write the filename between the two blocks.
It must be on the internet.
Okay, thank you. The photos will be up soon.
Jack Mcslay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 17, 2011, 04:18:48 PM »

I figured I should put up something to prove OFM is not dead

Operation Full Moon will be exploration-oriented instead of just shooting because there's too many shooter games on action 52 as it is.

ACTION-52-3AD62B99
EruditeDragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 22, 2011, 06:25:25 AM »

Hmm... Now I'm intrigued... Jack, can you give us a general rundown of your ideas so far?  I also agree that there's a lot of shooters on the original A52 cart... most of them no different than the other.

One thing, though; you may want to either give the main body of the rover an outline, or use a darker shade for the main body.  At the moment, it sorta blends in with the terrain.
genericuser
« Reply #1764 on: August 29, 2011, 03:03:05 AM »

Someone on #pigscene couldn't download They Came, but they logged off before I saw it - reuploading it here.
Jack Mcslay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 29, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »

Hmm... Now I'm intrigued... Jack, can you give us a general rundown of your ideas so far?  I also agree that there's a lot of shooters on the original A52 cart... most of them no different than the other.
The idea is that you're trying to find and destroy a buried enemy transmitter, and in order to do so, you need to use a homing device which can only tell you the distance from the transmitter, and not the direction. But it takes time to get a precise reading, and using it for too long at a time might alert enemies, and thus it's required to balance it's use in order to complete the mission.

Oh yes, destroying it also triggers a boss fight.

One thing, though; you may want to either give the main body of the rover an outline, or use a darker shade for the main body.  At the moment, it sorta blends in with the terrain.
I know, I'm still figuring out the details of the hover's design. I won't add too much details in order not to get too much away from the classic feel, but probably make the wheels darker/ make the body lighter, as well as add shadows

ACTION-52-3AD62B99
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1766 on: August 31, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

I'm late but I wanted to say City of Doom is great.  I just tried it tonight.  The enemy designs were the best part.
Those controls though... Undecided

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1767 on: September 01, 2011, 08:47:13 AM »

Thanks!

Lots of people said they didn't like the controls, at least at first, but I left them that way so it would feel more like you were climbing and less like a shmup with a building in the background.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:01:18 PM by handCraftedRadio » Logged

Davoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 03, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »

So you wanted the controls to feel like climbing up a building, instead of feeling like you're playing a good game? Droop
How about this? Holding the arrow keys down aims the gun, X or C shoots the gun, and tapping the arrow keys moves. Still a little awkward, but much better. 90% of the times I die, it's because of the controls.

This game is okay. The aesthetics have a lot of potential. The style and atmosphere is superb. It comes across to me as Die Hard meets Fallout 3.

About the enemy designs, though. Although they're not bad, I would have much preferred killing dudes instead of random, soulless mutants. And outside of that, the enemies are pretty sparsely varied.

That--other than the controls--is the biggest problem I have with the game; the repetitiveness. I've only gotten through most of level 2 (don't know how many levels there are) and it's already gotten a little tedious. Same enemies over and over again, crawl up here and destroy this generator, crawl down there and grab this item, rinse and repeat.
Davoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 03, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »

I'm gonna talk about another game at random...

Bubblegirl Rozy

First of all... what's up with the title? Please correct me if there's a blog post somewhere that clears all this up, but if the original game was called "Bubblegum Rossie", why is the name changed? What's the purpose of that?

This game is also pretty okay-ish. The difficulty is irritating to me. In the sense that it's so easy, and gives you such an overpowered attack, that all my gaming reflexes turn off, causing me to make lots of mistakes. But I guess that's just my own fault.

The graphics. Just a fair warning, I'm not going to be nice. I don't think it looks very good. It's a prime example of 8-bit doesn't automatically make for a good art design. Everything is designed and drawn okay, my complaint lies solely in the over-bearing colors. Everything is so dark and saturated; the background is especially overly-vivid, it sort of blends in with the foreground, which isn't a good thing at all.
Look at Ninja Gaiden:

See how everything's a little bleached-out?

The music. It's not bad, it's adequate, but it's not very memorable and makes this blaring noise that microwaves my brain.

Now it's actually been a while since I last played and beat this game, but I believe the last two or three levels (in the ship/laboratory/factory/whatever) were much better. I think the music was different, the background was more appropriately colored, and the challenge was more fun. The boss was also really fun.

Rozy/Rossie herself is adorable. I like the attention paid to the detail of her body; that she is not a little girl. Tongue

The normal/classic mode idea is great, and pretty clever.

I noticed there are little trophies to collect in the game. A nice little extra I suppose, but again, I really don't see the point.

Oh yes! One more thing! The screen. Why does Rozy go from one room to another when enemies and objects go through the rooms as well? Why not just having the camera scroll smoothly along? Especially in the last few levels, I'm trying to get around but the screen keeps jolting up and down, left and right. Is it to keep the game running at a decent frame rate?
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1770 on: September 04, 2011, 10:22:16 AM »

So you wanted the controls to feel like climbing up a building, instead of feeling like you're playing a good game? Droop

Actually, yes. If by 'good game' you are referring to a game that people are immediately comfortable with because they have already played many similar games. 'Standard' controls may seem better because players have learned what to expect from this type of game, but I wanted this game to be different from that. I wanted the controls to help emphasize the fact that you are climbing a building, and the climbing is equally as challenging or more challenging than fighting off the aliens. In other words, I wanted the controls to reflect the fact that climbing a building is hard and fighting aliens is hard, so doing both at the same time is very hard. The climbing has as equal importance in the game as fighting the alien bugs, it's not just an excuse to do so.

I can see how the controls can be considered as bad controls, but I put a lot of thought into them and am happy how it turned out. From watching people play the game, I typically get the sense that people have a hard time controlling at first, and later on get used to it and better at controlling the character, which is exactly what I wanted. I also tried to design the levels to take this into account; the first parts don't require as much precise or quick movement, but allow the player to get used to climbing and practice (at least this is what I was going for.)

About the enemy designs, though. Although they're not bad, I would have much preferred killing dudes instead of random, soulless mutants. And outside of that, the enemies are pretty sparsely varied.

Well this is a matter of opinion I guess, but the original game we remade had the player fighting against bugs or something so that is where that came from. Thinking about it now, it could have been cool to have some sort of humanoid creature as an enemy that crawls around on the building like the player does.

That--other than the controls--is the biggest problem I have with the game; the repetitiveness. I've only gotten through most of level 2 (don't know how many levels there are) and it's already gotten a little tedious. Same enemies over and over again, crawl up here and destroy this generator, crawl down there and grab this item, rinse and repeat.

There are 3 levels in total, so you were probably about half way through. I completely agree with you here, the game drags on a little bit too long and there isn't enough variation. Originally, the game was about finished with one level and one boss, but we decided we wanted to add in a few more weapons and levels. So I completely redesigned the first level to take into account the game was going to be longer, and added 2 more levels and bosses. Probably around the time of doing the beginning of the 3rd level I was getting the sense that the game was dragging on a bit and would probably benefit from condensing the levels down. We didn't have enough different gameplay ideas to keep things seeming completely fresh throughout the entire game. At that point, the actual development of the game had been dragging on for a while and we decided to just to leave the levels as they were instead of doing another complete redesign. I thought it was better to keep the game as what I thought was 'pretty good' than possibly risking months on doing a redesign. There is also a good chance the game would never have gotten finished at all if we took that path!

Thanks for giving feedback on the game! I have actually been meaning to post this game in the feedback section, because I haven't really gotten too much in-depth feedback from someone taking a critical look. So your feedback is much appreciated!  Gentleman

Davoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: September 04, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »

Oh, well, in regards to controls, I guess that's a pretty decent argument. I suppose the game would be really easy otherwise...

You're welcome, too.
Davoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: September 04, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »

So is it not against the rules for me to just post mini-reviews of all the released games here? Because I have a lot to say about pretty much all of them.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1773 on: September 05, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »

You could, but I doubt their authors would be around to acknowledge them. You should try emailing their respective creators with feedback instead. It's just that this project's pretty old, so they might not care about modifying their game in response.

Davoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: September 06, 2011, 12:16:46 AM »

Cool, thanks for telling me. I think I'm going to continue, because like I said, there's a LOT to say.
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #1775 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:26 PM »

Spread fire is a no go. Someone else can take it
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1776 on: September 11, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »

Here are the Ooze photos:
Here is some of the code:

Here is the main enemy:

Here is a blurry picture of the first part of level 1:

Here is a blurry picture of the snake enemy:

This is a very blurry picture of the coins (and "Ooze guy")

Here is a picture of the top of the screen:

And here is the last picture, and it is of "Ooze Guy" (lol)

Thank you for looking, and I am sorry I took these pictures  from my iTouch rather than from my computer, I was very rushed when I took the photos.
Also, incase you are wondering, I have a mac, but I have to use Parallels to run my engine (MMF2 Developer).

Jack Mcslay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 13, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »

Here are the Ooze photos:
Here is some of the code:
You couldn't just use printscreen?
And from the little it's shown, it looks like the original ooze with slightly improved graphics, honestly

ACTION-52-3AD62B99
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1778 on: September 13, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

Yeah you need to step it up gameplay wise and find an artist, or work on a different game. Right now it just doesn't compare to the other remakes.

jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1779 on: September 15, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

Sorry that I showed you guys pretty bad pictures of the game. As for gameplay wise, the game is different from the original Ooze, even though the screenshots might of not made it seem like that. As for the graphics, I did make them so I am sorry they seem so similar to the original games graphics. I guess I will either make new graphics or get an artist. For now though I am going to use the graphics seen in the screenshots as placeholders.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic