Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:48:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 538004 times)
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1800 on: January 14, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »

Good luck with crazy shuffle, I'm still somewhat disappointed I never got around to finishing it, hopefully you can!

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1801 on: January 14, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »

I look at the list and see Megalonia under a different name than the person doing it now. How accurate is that list?

jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1802 on: January 14, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »

Crazy Shuffle is a Card Matching game?

HUUUUH.

Well wow, it's nice to see how focused the original developers were, it's certainly not a card matching game at all! Well, setting about to work on this, nearly got the basis of the engine done.
Since you wanted the website with the stories, here is the wayback machine archive of it: http://web.archive.org/web/20090408081601/http://cheetahmen.silius.net/action52n.txt
The archive for that webpage doesn't work anymore Sad
The archive does still work
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:18:14 PM by jakomocha » Logged
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1803 on: January 14, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »

the list and this project are long left behind.

doesn't mean you can't work on it, but none of the information in this thread is reliable anymore

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1804 on: January 14, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »

Honestly, there's still some interest in this project, as seen from the recent activity. Does anyone have a complete list of currently finished games? Can we do a sound off on the developers actually working on a title, or that have something half finished?

This project doesn't have to die, but it doesn't have to be rushed to the end either. It can just be something for folks to do when inspiration for a completely new game doesn't come along.

Who's got access to edit the list? And mr. podunkian could put this info into the first post if enough of us want to figure it out and make this project live again.

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 14, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »

I think podunkian threw a fit when, unsurprisingly, fifty-two people weren't able to coordinate game production very well.

I'm pretty sure he gave up on organizing the project. Which sucks, because I think there's still a speck of interest, and besides the whole thing was worth it for the new Mash Man.

edit: Well, "threw a fit" is an obnoxious word choice, but he wasn't very happy and I'm pretty sure he stopped paying attention to the project.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:23:32 PM by Painting » Logged
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1806 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »

I don't suppose there's any way to give someone control over the topic post then. :/

Darn. Maybe if a new one's started and then we just relay the past information. I don't know...

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 14, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »

I'm sure he'd be okay with someone starting it up again so long as the someone isn't him. It's a tough job to keep track of this many people on this many dissimilar games and keep a quality standard up as well. If someone's willing we could PM him about it, and making a new thread might be a nice way to reintroduce the idea to the community.
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1808 on: January 16, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

Jtreiner is not making Lolipops anymore Sad.
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 17, 2012, 01:52:49 AM »

What a shame!

You know, re-reading the first post, it's kind of impressive that podunkian was hoping for "two weeks". How... optimistic.
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1810 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »

What a shame!

You know, re-reading the first post, it's kind of impressive that podunkian was hoping for "two weeks". How... optimistic.

I think a lot of people had different viewpoints on how "big" they wanted their game to be, whereas Podunkian was expecting folks to follow a format akin to A52, in that these are -mini- games of a collection; which would be the reason why the Cheetahmen game was going to be such a big -deal-.
I'm not entirely innocent in this; I had a few bumps with Podunkian concerning the pigscene irc, delaying release and whatnot, but watching the thread constantly I could see a lot of people seeing this as a "breakthrough" chance in that, hey, these are already bad games, ANYTHING would be better, and they're all pretty simple, amirite?

A progress update on Crazy Shuffle - I have a basis for a few enemies, but I need to set up an actual level system and finish a few enemies. I'm going with a hybrid of the original write-up and the actual game; it's confusing, but hopefully I can explain it via process of demo. I'm going small scale, so after my Finals here in Kyoto I'll be finishing it off in no time.
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 17, 2012, 03:23:41 AM »

I think a lot of people had different viewpoints on how "big" they wanted their game to be, whereas Podunkian was expecting folks to follow a format akin to A52, in that these are -mini- games of a collection; which would be the reason why the Cheetahmen game was going to be such a big -deal-.

That makes sense. Still, fifty-two games, each by a different person or group of people, all held to a high standard of quality... it's a lot to hope for.
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1812 on: January 17, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »

Crazy Shuffle, or at least a playable demo, should be ready in a short time.

Anyone up for collaborating on a First Person NES-style RPG for this project? I think it needs some diversity on that front.

[EDIT]

Got this incredibly annoying bug which seems to be going down; player won't loop around the room now that I've placed tiles in it. What gives? I may upload what I have sometime shortly, mainly because the core principle is there save for deaths and scores, and I wanna see if the Core Principle is -fun-.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:52:29 AM by Neonlare » Logged
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1813 on: January 28, 2012, 04:55:02 AM »

Bumping awareness of this;

In 3 days I'll be going full sprint on as many projects as possible for this. It's time to Finish the Fight, so to speak.

Crazy Shuffle - Expect some form of this playable tonight, but bare bones for now. Truthfully though, it shouldn't take much more beyond that.

Potential Projects to tackle next;

Micro-Mike: I would turn this into a Side Scrolling Racing Game. I have a concept down, I'd just need to make the thing.

Evil Empire: I'd shoe-horn Blue Midnight into this and continue the story of Meong, turning it into something of a Side-Scrolling Metroid-Vania of sorts.

Hambo's Adventure: I'd be interested in turning this into something a bit more, well, "fleshed" out.

Billy-Bob: Prince of Persia. Cuz yeah. Truth be told, Billy-Bob was one of the best games on A52, so it wouldn't be hard. Aside from odd jumping, the controls are a lot more fluid than PoP, lends itself more to trigger responses.

Fire Breathers: I'd turn this into an Action RPG, I'd need some assistance on that ground, but it shouldn't be too hard with the concept in mind.

Bits and Pieces: Mix and Match Side-Scroller; The parts you equip altering your abilities.

The Boss: I'm BatCrocman.

King Hadas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: January 28, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Neonlare
In 3 days I'll be going full sprint on as many projects as possible for this. It's time to Finish the Fight, so to speak.
Cool, just remember that the goal of this collab is to make great games, not to fulfill a quota. That kind of mentality is what created Action 52 in the first place.

Fire Breathers: I'd turn this into an Action RPG, I'd need some assistance on that ground, but it shouldn't be too hard with the concept in mind.
A Multiplayer Action Rpg?
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1815 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »

Cool, just remember that the goal of this collab is to make great games, not to fulfill a quota. That kind of mentality is what created Action 52 in the first place.

A Multiplayer Action Rpg?

Of course paying heed to the actual goal and a set standard is pretty important, really do need to crank up the work load with this though; we got so much at hand!

Concerning Action RPG, Multiplayer would be awesome to implement, but I don't know how to get the basic net-code working for that kind of thing.

On that subject;

Crazy Shuffle - Alpha Edition : Bare bones, very very bare bones, I have more of the engine done but this is just to test out the core mechanics. C selects on the menu, X fires in game. Arrow Keys of course, to move. Comments appreciated! It's very early though, so don't expect too much~

Co-Op does NOT work yet; as said before I need to find some netcode to get it working. Just play Single for now.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9780777/Crazy%20Shuffle%2001.zip
King Hadas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 29, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »

Played your Crazy Shuffle. Killer opening dude, and I love the Irish themes.

Some comments (Sorry if I mention anything you where already going to implement or fix):
____

Is there a way to skip the opening? If not you'll want to add that option. It's a nice opening but I don't want to watch it every time I start the game. I'd like to be able to skip those black title screens before each level as well.

You can't shoot again until your last bullet has left the screen. This means when I'm at the bottom of the screen I can shoot downwards in quick succession but shooting upwards I have to wait a while. Not sure if this needs to be fixed but you might want to change it so you can shoot again after a fixed amount of time has passed.

You can still shoot after you've died. Is this a glitch or does it have something to do with Co-op?

The runner enemies do this glitchy thing where they momentarily appear on the side of the screen and then disappear. It's like they get blocked by something and then run back off screen.

Since dying sends you so far back it'd be nice if there was a way to regain health.

Sometimes an enemy will spawn where I'm standing.

__

That's all I've got for now. The games looking good so far.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:42:16 PM by King Hadas » Logged
Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1817 on: February 03, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »

Played your Crazy Shuffle. Killer opening dude, and I love the Irish themes.

Some comments (Sorry if I mention anything you where already going to implement or fix):
____

Is there a way to skip the opening? If not you'll want to add that option. It's a nice opening but I don't want to watch it every time I start the game. I'd like to be able to skip those black title screens before each level as well. -- Done! You can skip most of the intro by pressing X during load up.

You can't shoot again until your last bullet has left the screen. This means when I'm at the bottom of the screen I can shoot downwards in quick succession but shooting upwards I have to wait a while. Not sure if this needs to be fixed but you might want to change it so you can shoot again after a fixed amount of time has passed. -- This is deliberate, it's mainly part of game balance; do you risk getting up close and landing the shot, or do you try and play it safe and fire from afar, knowing it could leave you open if you miss? I did however increase the hit-box for the card, so it should be a lot easier to land things.

You can still shoot after you've died. Is this a glitch or does it have something to do with Co-op? -- Nope, this was a bug, has been fixed now.

The runner enemies do this glitchy thing where they momentarily appear on the side of the screen and then disappear. It's like they get blocked by something and then run back off screen. -- As confusing as it may seem, I'm more prone to keeping them doing that, for two reasons, the first being is that it's much more common to see it happen for the "Enraged" version, and it makes sense; it's supposed to be harder, secondly is that it does also seem more reminiscent of some of the glitches you find in NES games in general, but the second point is more of a personal opinion than anything else.

Since dying sends you so far back it'd be nice if there was a way to regain health. -- Considering it, but then again I'm unsure how exactly this would impact it. Technically the Health bar is more of a Life Count, but more frequent waypoints would be a good idea.

Sometimes an enemy will spawn where I'm standing. -- They'll still do this, but this time they come in blinking; you can't hit them, and neither can they hit you.

__

That's all I've got for now. The games looking good so far.

I've yet to upload a new version to my Dropbox, but I have made some substantial changes to the game. They're as follows;

Skippable Intro.
Darkened Turf tiles to make active objects more visible.
Reduced duration of "pre-round summary" to around 40%.
Fixed shooting after dead glitch.
Introduced flashing spawn mobs to give the player a chance to avoid them when they spawn.
The Basis for the first Boss, including two songs and some sprites (have yet to begin scripting it).

To Do List:
Design the next 3 Acts
Place the remainder of monsters into the stages themselves
Finish Bosses
Complete entry for Crazy Shuffle.

Potential Next Projects:

Fire Breathers - Considering this purely from the perspective that it's a chance to do something -other- than a shooter or a side-scrolling game for A52O. As for Battle Systems, here's what I've come up with; effectively, the screen is divided up in half, one top, one bottom, depending on which type of multiplayer you go for. Co-Operative Wise, the goal is to beat the enemy on the other side with your Dragon; you control it and fire upwards, effectively like Space Invaders, but with complexities thrown in here and there. Vs. mode would be a little different; each player has something akin to 4 bases, or crystals. The players have to bombard one another with attacks on either end, either attacking each other's dragons to stun them briefly or going directly for the crystals themselves. A Mana bar is included for both players, so they don't just spam fireballs at one another, since a mid-air collision destroys said fireballs and allows each player to defend their own base. Upgrades would be included in the field for Versus, which would throw more dynamism to the gameplay mechanic for said mode.

Micro-Mike: Side Scrolling Racing game; the focus is to navigate series of walls and obstacles, picking up powerups such as rockets or boosters to keep in first place. C accelerates and X uses a powerup, of course releasing C would slow the craft down. Would love to put a cheesy 80s cartoon spin on this.

Evil Empire: Very much would focus on a more Zelda II esque realm of gameplay here; with experience and leveling up, but much more focus on navigating perilous terrain and riddles rather than pure on hack and slash.

The Boss: This would definitely turn into some form of homage to Contra, if I could pull it off.

Of course I'm not a fantastic programmer, it'd take some while getting a few of these things done. Hand Any Key Big Laff Hand Joystick Really is a case of dedication though; and we're so far into this project that there's no real reason to just let it disappear now. Is anyone else around that still wants to work on stuff for this?
jakomocha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1818 on: April 19, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »

So... what's going on with your games everyone?  Shrug? Ooze hasn't had much (or any) progress but don't worry I haven't given up (yet). This topic hasn't been active for like 4 months now, and I hope it will become more active.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1819 on: May 15, 2012, 03:43:05 AM »

Just letting you know that Megalonia is canned... so yeah, this is probably dead.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic