Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:38:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 537979 times)
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »

Dang, wish I'd noticed this earlier.

If anyone gets cold feet, I'll take your game!

FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »

Made a pretty big tileset, its done for now! Putting together a couple levels now.

Its a bit dark but in the games context it looks fine

I took lots of inspiration from a bunch of NES games, especially Castlevania 3.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: May 09, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »

Progress on the set of smaller Megalonia native ships. The idea with the second frame is that they become floating wrecks briefly if the damage situation is right. It's easy to paint these kind of damage frames because I can just paint some random junk over the intact ship line art.

There'll be generic gib pieces that explode outward with speed depending on size. The larger ships on the previous image have some special gib pieces. Hopefully the gibs don't get in the way of reading the action/bullet situation. Enemy bullets should probably be rotating, flashing and color coded to attract the most attention.

For some ships I want to to some animations, be it moving parts or Vic-Viper rolling. Rolling is a pain though since details have to be consistent in perspective.

I varied their size a bit.. to create... variation. The right ones could come in swarms, maybe rolling/spinning because it's a small image and less work to animate.

Edit: Some test animations.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:47:47 PM by Arne » Logged
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »

If anyone gets cold feet, I'll take your game!

Any interest in collaboration? I'm really busy until quite close to the deadline, and I wouldn't mind switching to a graphics-only role or something.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »

I'm gradually teasing out environment collision by building up a tremendous debugging suite, fixing the problems that surface as obvious, and then going back to add more debug info. Progress is good - and not stressful, which is so rare when I work on collision. I might actually have it working by tomorrow! After that I'll still have a collision editing tool to do(I opted to untie it from the art tiles), entity spawn placement, entity-entity collision, and then animation...and then I think I'll start to have a game!

PaleFox
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »

Scene from lvl 2 (subject to change w/o notice)

More progress; only got one enemy to make now and the boss, of course. Most of the tiles are done although some could use a remake. Working on finishing up the levels and so on!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2010, 08:58:31 PM »

Spent the better part of the day today trying to make the snake enemy works as I envisioned, with unsatisfactory results. I may have to redesign it, though that's for later. Right now I wanna do something that doesn't take ages to get right.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:16 AM »

A first playable build. Stayed up working the last seven hours or so to get the environment collision going.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/254701/blog/action52/5_10_7am.swf

All you can do is jump around(X key) and try to break the collision by going into the solid area. I think it's (mostly) stable now.

Code for this system is here for your reviewing pleasure:
http://bitbucket.org/triplefox/fireball/src/tip/fireball/collision/BeatDown.hx

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

triplefox i don't know if it's my machine but that doesn't link to something i'd qualify as playable, it looks like some collision debug thing where a courageous rectangle can flyyyy
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: May 10, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »

here's the Mashman sprite from me and HandCraftedRadio's entry.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:27:21 AM by Nate (Caliber9) » Logged

SeanEBlog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 10, 2010, 01:34:43 PM »

Just being curios, but is anyone considering doing any of the Genesis A52 games? I would love to see a remake of Sketch.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »

There is nothing stopping anyone who would want to remake any of the Genesis games if they wanted to, but for this it is strictly the NES version.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2010, 03:42:18 PM »

I've decided that instead of using a game in 320x240 resolution upscaled 2x, I'm doing a fully 640x480 game with 2x upscalled sprites.

Cactus, eat your heart out.

It's really just because rotated sprites look like piles of ass in such low res.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 10, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »

Melly> You can make the graphics at 1x (320*240) and then scale up and do something similar to Font hinting (in the case of pixel art, you smooth out curves and slopes but don't add detail). Basically, you provide better sample points and reduce flicker this way.

You then rotate, then scale down, then scale up again... :O

Yeah, too much work perhaps. I did some tests years ago and it does make slopes and curves look a lot better since the source image has finer staircases.

Anyways. I got some code done today. It went really smooth thanks to OOP. I haven't put any gfx in yet, but I have a simple little physics system with explosion shockwaves that pushes everything around. It's neat to see the debris (boxes) fly off the hulls (boxes).

Now I need to make an editor where I can place the debris parts (panels etc) onto the hulls so it looks complete before it breaks.

MaloEspada
« Reply #314 on: May 10, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »

I think I'm going to quit.

Free Bubblegum Rossie!
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: May 10, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »

Lips Sealed I forbid Ein to quit.

MaloEspada
« Reply #316 on: May 10, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »

hahah sorry bro, maybe next time!
godsavant
« Reply #317 on: May 10, 2010, 07:18:36 PM »

I think I'm going to quit.

Free Bubblegum Rossie!

What?!? After you tease us with all those screenshots of a game nearly finished you're going to quit? What the hell?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:07:59 PM by godsavant » Logged
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

I'm making pretty good progress, but there's still a lot to do in these few short days.  Fortunately, I believe I have already taken care of most of the more difficult tasks.  This is still going to be a quite a challenge to complete this in time.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »

I think it's the time limit that is causing people to quit...  Droop

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 96
Print
Jump to: