Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:12:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHumble indie bundle - pay whatever you want
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Humble indie bundle - pay whatever you want  (Read 73879 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »

I'll have to agree with the people that say that when you sell a game, you create a sort of informal obligation to your customers. Once they buy a product in-development they expect to be repaid sometime down the road, even if its just by having the game's creator participate in the community and keep people posted on the status of the project. That includes making sure people know when you're taking breaks from it and for what reasons, so instead of just wondering endlessly about the cloudy status of a project they care about, they have some solid data to work with and won't feel like not only the project, but the community around it has been abandoned. Even if someday you tell people that you stopped working on the game and will likely never again do so, it'll be less aggravating to them than if you just vanish without a trace, leaving them in the dark.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »

When I read the last few pages, I was reminded of Dwarf Fortress before its last major update.

Tarn Adams delivered. Will this Data guy deliver? Blink (No, not the fists! No, not my pretty face! Nooo!)
ink.inc
« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2010, 11:25:29 PM »

Dan Tabar looks like a man that could rip off your head and shit down your throat. That's pretty much all I have to add to this conversation.
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 16, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »

He should challenge the disgruntled "customers" to a kickboxing match. It worked for Uwe Boll.  Well, hello there!
Zaphos
« Reply #384 on: December 17, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »

iirc cas already wanted to punch tigsource posters in the face, so if data also does then we're 2/5 this bundle!  Watch out though, I hear jon blow knows kung fu.
Bandages
« Reply #385 on: December 17, 2010, 12:22:06 AM »

I take back all my gripes and complaints about the game and I don't ever care if it's finished
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 17, 2010, 12:22:51 AM »

Ha ha! That should fully be the new splash screen.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 17, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »

I must concur.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
iffi
« Reply #388 on: December 17, 2010, 12:44:57 AM »

He should sell a digital avatar of himself running around your desktop being awesome.
Lon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 17, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »

This discussion reminds me of what I studied (but am no expert of) in professional ethics regarding the professional-client relationship.  I think there is a difference between a clients relationship with a reseller (a client purchasing a finished game, generally a short relationship with the reseller) and a client's relationship to a company/product they have invested in (a client pre-ordering a game, longer relationship and a yet to be met expectation of the professional).

Anyways my friends and I are really enjoying these bundles.

“We all sorely complain of the shortness of time, and yet have much more than we know what to do with. Our lives are either spent in doing nothing at all, or in doing nothing to the purpose, or in doing nothing that we ought to do..." -Seneca
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

looking at that pic again, he has pretty good abs (low bodyfat) but still has relatively small biceps, he could work on those curls a bit more

also while we're on the topic, i love this ronnie coleman quote:

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody want to lift no heavy-ass weights."

that quote applies to like everything, not just bodybuilding

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 17, 2010, 02:04:49 AM »

It's nice to see that the TIGS community is still ace at conjuring up a drama out of anything...
Bandages
« Reply #392 on: December 17, 2010, 02:08:24 AM »

It's nice to see that the TIGS community is still ace at conjuring up a drama out of anything...

Hey! That's a racially charged statement!  Mock Anger
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: December 17, 2010, 04:15:01 AM »

Hello there.

I was one of the first CC bashers this time... I got the bundle as soon the site went up (actually I managed to get the download code before the automated e-mail system told me the bundle was up... seriously, someone need to make that e-mail system less lazy Tongue), and 20 minutes later I was here and on my own company irc channel bashing CC...

I must say that it was quite... strong, reaction to it, but I will explain:

I AM JEALOUS

Because currently I have -30.000 USD, I am sleeping in average 4 hours each day (literally, I work at night), and to make my current game I am taking even more loans, yet people don't want to play my game even for free... But I see Data and his half-crap (sorry Data, but it IS half-crap, when it is work it is awesome, but most of the time it don't work...) and several other games getting MONEY, while I am going bankrupt here (literally too).

I asked for some donations, so I can buy a Mac and make a Mac build, I've got like... 20 USD. From one guy. And that is it.

I visit the forums and see fanboys of games that don't even exist yet (yes, games with only concept art and planning and no programming I am looking to you), I see communities of non-existing games with several thousand followers, games in alpha stage (not only Minecraft... I mean several games, don't get me wrong here for specifically mentioning alpha, I mean alpha as in testing phase and really broken) that are getting sales, and I don't get people to play my game for free... It is really upsetting.

The first humble bundle in my opinion was MUUUUUUCH better than this one. Even with this one having Braid, Osmos and Machinarium (that are awesome games, I love them, specially Osmos :D), plainly because I could download any game there, and know I would not get upset with the game... You know, I play games to have fun, when a game make me waste my precious development time and make me upset, I become REALLY upset.

So, sorry for all the bashing.

And expect more anyway (I am quite acid... although not to Super Joe levels, I try to control myself...)

Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 17, 2010, 04:23:55 AM »

Hand ClapWTF
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2010, 04:58:00 AM »

When I read the last few pages, I was reminded of Dwarf Fortress before its last major update.

Tarn Adams delivered. Will this Data guy deliver? Blink (No, not the fists! No, not my pretty face! Nooo!)
Tarn updated his devlog almost every day when he was working on DF2010. He also had a neat list of the goals for the next version and how far along he was with each of them. I never had any doubt he would eventually release it.

That's the kind of thing I was talking about earlier. If you want your fans to understand that you're working hard on your game, let them in on your dev process.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2010, 05:00:54 AM »

Erm... speeder is there not someone you can talk to, like a psychiatrist, doctor or something. Not being funny or anything, but if what you say is true you are potentially destroying your life. Someone in $30,000 worth of debt shouldn't be considering taking out more loans. You seem to have got yourself into a self-destructing mental spiral where you believe the only way to get yourself out of trouble is in fact putting you into far worse trouble. I seriously hope you are exaggerating your situation, because if not it sounds like you are in some deep, deep trouble.

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: December 17, 2010, 05:29:20 AM »

@Oddball

No, I am not exagerating...

This is what happen when the bandwagon catches you...

To explain: Since I was a child I wanted to make games, I would spend afternoons toying with excite bike map editor, then later with Dink Smallwood, then Age of Empires, and also board games (yep, I made board game mods...).

I started taking loans a long time ago, because education here is crap unless you pay what you don't have (average monthly wage here: 300 USD, average school, not even college, tuition: 500 USD), of course, for normal schooling it was most my parents that paid it and got in debt...

In the year I had to join college, the black people quota was introduced, I refused to join a college because I was black, I wanted to join as a "normal" person that went already in the test, but in the end I DID passed the test, but since I was in the lower end of the rankings, some black people I don't know got there in place (note that I am partially black too, it is just that I tought it would be humiliating joining as black person while taking a easier test, like if black people are stupid or something).

My parents, that were still in deep debts became mad at me failing to join a public school, and forced me to choose a private one... At that day, a single "game school" existed here, it was about Game Design (and I don't even knew what was game design... I thought it had something to do with programming...), I joined that school, since my parents had no more money, I took a loan myself to pay it (the several thousand debt loan I mentioned earlier).

Then the thing became a fad, in my year there was in total around the whole country 80 game students, in the next it was 200, currently it is more than 2000, yet if you sum all professional game developers, including indies and AAA and outsourcing you get 500...

What happen is that internship is mandatory, and I don't got my internship yet, thus I have:

To pay the huge loan...
Get a internship in a 500 people wide industry while 2000 students are also seeking internship. And do that in Game Design (that here noone hire, usually the "game designer" is the owner of the company).

All that while avoiding getting killed (and that is getting harder and harder).

As I see now I don't have much of a choice, I need to make a glorious game, that is sufficient good to grab that internship, and then use that same glorious game to get a job in other country... Or sell it and move to some countries that allow you to move in as "entepreneur" if you have sufficient money (like, 100.000 CAD if you want to move to Canada)

But actually right now I am less worse than I was 1 year ago when I nearly died while finishing university (ie: I went in super-crunch mode for 3 months to finish the final university project, because my team was unreliable and I don't wanted to spend several more thousand dollars to repeat classes, failing in that project result in needing to do again about 7 classes, to the point that I got 20kg fatter in those 3 months, and got several other health problems).

increpare
« Reply #398 on: December 17, 2010, 05:38:10 AM »

No, I am not exagerating...
In which case, are you going to follow his advice?

It's great to be enthusiastic about games (I am enthusiastic about games, and have made sacrifices in order to do so), but - I dunno, I guess you're conscious of how much you might be fucking yourself up, which is something :/

I had a full-time job, and worked on stuff in my spare time.  I did so without sacrificing my quality of living, however I had to make a different sort of game to the games I had made when I was doing it full-time.  But it was still possible to do stuff that felt worthwhile.  Lots of people on tigsource have full-time jobs doing non-indie stuff, debts, families and manage to still work on games in a way that makes their lives better, not worse.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:50:26 AM by increpare » Logged
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58:22 AM »

It is a question of speed, every day I stay here, is another day that I might get killed (I am not being paranoid here, I saw many people dieing around me, and I get guns pointed at me specifically several times too), and here full-time jobs regularly available have crap pay (300 USD or even less), and it is too dangerous (even a stupid job, like supermarket cashier, is too dangerous where I live... the supermarket near my house get raided 3 times per year more or less).

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic