Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:28:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesHumble indie bundle - pay whatever you want
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26
Print
Author Topic: Humble indie bundle - pay whatever you want  (Read 73884 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 17, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »

Alright then, maybe I kinda forgot about half of this thread or something. Smiley Sorry if I seemed to be trying to hammer the nail in.

In other news I just introduced a Linux-using co-worker of mine to Braid. He was quite pleased.

I'm also finding Revenge of the Titans more fun than I expected, especially trying to get through the harder difficulty, though the sometimes arbitrary necessity of specific towers would probably fuck over some people.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: December 17, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »

data, one thing you might consider in that regard would be a simple worklog of what you did each day. when you code something, jot it down for a blog post, or post it on twitter or whatever. even if it's as simple as 'today i made the rain fall faster in this rain effect'. it's what i do with my game, and i'm not even selling preorders of it, i just think it's a good idea to do regardless just for my own personal record-keeping. and it'd be incredibly boring to read, but the idea isn't to entertain people.

here's an example of one of my days work (because i'm egoistic and for illustration purposes i'll choose to quote one of my better work days of december, instead of a day where i only did a single tiny thing, which is more regular):

- edited one of the scripts (for ikks)
- finally fixed a bug which caused music not to play in rooms with lots of sounding wall objects by stopping and re-starting their sounds only when the player gets within distance sufficient to hear them.
- also again tweaked the radius and volume and so on of those values (perfectionism)
- made the frequencies of the sounds vary by the wall object's random seed, too (which gives a nice effect which is largely lost unless the player is specifically listening for it or has the sound off)

(that said, i don't think he has to do that either if he's not the type of developer who wants to keep a worklog. just proposing it as an easy solution, not as something he's obligated to do.)

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

yeah I've considered somehow piping the SVN code commit comments into a twitter feed.. that would be a nicely automated system to expose development progress. Anyone feel like helping me set that up??  Beg
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:48 AM »

Yay! Cool idea :D

Although I don't figured either how to use SVN or Twitter API, so sorry Sad

(btw: someone know how to make a SVN fork? I am hacking a lot the original Novashell to the point that I feel now it is my Novashell, but I don't figured how to upload it to my own SVN instead of it try to upload to the original SVN).

And here we go derailing the thread again (actually, after I bashed CC in page 16 or something like that the thread became almost about only CC and later Data itself).

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 17, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »

Is the 1337 US$ donation from Metasploit real?

So far nobody donated more than Notch, but the ad-donations are getting popular.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: December 17, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »

i'm pretty sure it's real since it's automated.

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »

Metasploit automatically donate 1337?

OR something also is automatic?

And how you know it is Metasplot since the thing is listed as anonymous?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: December 17, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

well, what i meant was that the donation is real. people can pretend to be other people, sure. but why would someone donate 13 hundred bucks just as a joke?

increpare
« Reply #428 on: December 17, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »

yeah I've considered somehow piping the SVN code commit comments into a twitter feed.. that would be a nicely automated system to expose development progress. Anyone feel like helping me set that up??  Beg
http://code.google.com/p/twitvn/

Looks straightforward enough to set up, but sure, if you need a hand just shout.
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: December 17, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »

Matthew: I am defending my right to take 580 years to write one line of code, if I so choose.

I bring it up because your attitude here seemed like "I don't get it; why are people mad at me?", but a 580-day gap should make that totally obvious.  You have a right to take as long as you want,  but you don't have the right to play victim when you experience customer backlash with such glaring data points.

P.S.  We already have SVN -> Twitter integration for the Flashbang pipeline.  Hit me up on IM!

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: December 17, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »

I certainly do feel like a victim when the result of my simple lack of communication results in ad hominem attacks and questions raised about how I use my personal time and money.. I'm just reminded of why I stay the hell clear of forums in general, and am always hesitant to interact with the public on the internet, in any context (fans included). Roll Eyes

This time, however, I couldn't resist actively defending myself and the game, as a shitstorm from the disgruntled veteran CC fans might also spill over and reflect poorly upon the Humble Bundle project and its organizers.. which is something I care about beyond just my company's share of the revenue from this iteration of the HIB. I'd hate to have this (to some extent understandable) whinefest, which is really unrelated to the bundle, close the door to other work-in-progress projects in future HIBs.

Cool, I'll take you up on that SVN doohickey
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: December 17, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »

More on topic:

I love Revenge of the Titans. I honestly bought the bundle mostly just for it. I was tempted to buy the RotT preorder deal instead, but I sorta wanted Braid too, so I added a few bucks on to the pre-order price towards the bundle. I still feel like a cheap skate though. heh. On a related note, Droid Assault is also fantastic IMO which I saw you can get from his site for like $6 right now. Both have excellent eye candy, sound, and gameplay. I thought his first two games were average-ish. I liked the visuals, but the gameplay in them wasn't very exciting.

Osmos is okay I guess. The game seems like it's 90% atmosphere though. Other than that it's just a basic twist on the big fish eats small fish genre that has been around for 30 years now.

Haven't actually played Braid since I tried the demo a few months ago. I thought it was really clever and well made game, but it didn't particularly grab my interest.

Machinarium and Cortex Command I already had and enjoyed. My girlfriend and I player through Machinarium together the Friday after it came out. Good times. Cortex Command is a lot of fun to blow the crap out of things repeatedly and watch the carnage rain down. Though not much to do beyond that.

More off topic @Data:
Your fans are your biggest marketing asset as an indie. It's never too late to make things right with them. A new build every now and then or blogging about CC or your priorities would go a long way (even if it's not what they want to hear). I would say that angry players and burnout are the biggest hurdles to finishing a game. It doesn't help that mostly you just hear from the small but vocal minority of upset players which just leads to more burnout. You just gained a few thousand more people to be excited about your game that will tell their friends, don't throw that away! Coddle them and cajole them even if you don't really like them as a whole.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: December 17, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »

slembeke your opinion of Osmos will change when you reach the last levels, specially the more puzzle oriented ones (the ones in the lower left corner of the selection screen).

Some are particularly devious and I never finished them :/

But yes, the "eat enemy" levels is like a old genre (although those are really fun too).

Dauss
Level 0

"DAMN YOU HEMMINGWAY!"

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2010, 12:44:40 AM »

This time, however, I couldn't resist actively defending myself and the game, as a shitstorm from the disgruntled veteran CC fans might also spill over and reflect poorly upon the Humble Bundle project and its organizers.. which is something I care about beyond just my company's share of the revenue from this iteration of the HIB. I'd hate to have this (to some extent understandable) whinefest, which is really unrelated to the bundle, close the door to other work-in-progress projects in future HIBs.

Dan, let me just say this. The reason your fans are so upset isn't because we're trying to tell you what to do with your time, it's that after a year and 9 months of waiting without so much as a bump on the forums to indicate you were still with us, you finally released the new build. After all that time, and all that silence, we got bendy legs and an updated skirmish menu.

You're absolutely right that we don't get to dictate the pace at which you work, and I personally am not calling for that. What we're looking for, as the people who support you and continue to do so by encouraging people around us to check out this neat little game called Cortex Command, is a little respect. Respect is a 2 way street, afterall, and if you're not satisfied with the response you're getting from your fans then the first thing you have to look at is yourself.

You're never around, on your own forums. I understand you've had some rough brush ins with people there, but trust me there's more of us there than just the types who want your head on a pike. Secondly I guarantee that if you stop by and say hi once in a while, "check out this idea for CC, what do you guys think?" that even the most diehard of your 'less satisfied' customers complaints will be put to rest. All we really want to see is that we aren't being used in a thankless manner to generate revenue for a game we can hardly tell is being actively worked on. I can speak for a lot of (But not all) of the forumites when I say we were legitimately cheesed when we saw B24 after the promises that were made for it, and at the time, hardly an explanation as to why. Please, try to see it from our angle. After nearly 2 years, and being promised new features, we got a few minor engine updates and some menu reorganization? So for that I'm sorry for the response you got at the time, but you have to at least see the logic behind it.

In conclusion Dan, please come back to your own forums. Don't be a stranger to your own fans? As slembcke said, your fans are your biggest asset. We aren't asking you to slave away for lost time and never see the sun again till CC is completed, we just want to share a little mutual respect.

Thanks for your time Dan.

- (One of) Your (Many) Forum Moderator(S),

Dauss

iffi
« Reply #434 on: December 18, 2010, 12:50:31 AM »

It just passed 123456 bundles sold.
Just sayin'.
meh1111
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 18, 2010, 04:42:56 AM »

Hello all, I'm still banned so I won't hang about and annoy anyone, but just wanted to pop in a bit of support for Revenge if anyone's having trouble.

The installers were broken for both windows and linux in 1.71 (doh) but now fixed in 1.72 and you can redownload from the original URL.

Some linux users have had keyboard trouble - that's dbus/SCIM apparently - zap it and it'll be ok. Lots of linux users have had OpenGL trouble - usually fixed by switching to use free open source drivers instead of proprietry ones (how about that!)

There are few people having audio issues on Windows but we've no idea what the problem is yet.

Nobody needs Java for the windows version btw, it's embedded.

We're keeping everyone updated on the Puppyblog on everything (feel free to ask questions there) and I reply to every email sent to us personally, which is why it takes so long - did 200 yesterday, got another 70 to go and it keeps going up.

@speeder - get the hell out of dodge, leave your debts behind and flee. Borrow the money to escape.
@Data - it can get like that in here but I was simply banned instead of being allowed to hold my ground Smiley l8rs!

Cas Smiley
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: December 18, 2010, 06:12:47 AM »

@cas
Naaah, I don't want to be like my father, that have a debt from when he was 18 that still haunts him sometimes... (it is more of being annoying than being expensive...)

Along other issues... (other countries would only welcome me if I have positive assets, and a good amount of them, or if I have a job... It is not easy to flee when your country to his best to look peaceful to get into the UN permanent security council).

@SunnyKatt :D Hello there! What happened to the Nation of Design forums? It seemly split, and then not split, and then went somewhere... What?!?

@Data

Seriously, pay attention to your own forums and your fans, one of the things that made me upset that CC got in the Bundle is that fact that you managed to make it worse, the best part of it was the stuff your fans created, like some mission inspired on Metal Gear Solid, or some other custom missions and maps, and your new menu system broke it (badly... plainly these maps refuse to launch, because they have no Player 2, not even a AI one, and you cannot put the AI one there yourself manually).

People are not upset with you because you are slow, people are upset with you because they feel you are ignoring them completely, they feel like if you got their money and ran away with it. And when I saw you getting money from the Bundle, I felt that now instead of running away with money from your fans you was running away with the money from everyone.

@general
I expected the bundle to have reached 1 million yesterday, seemly what happened in the first day is that everyone that wanted it got it, causing a surge in sales, and now the sales are in the same speed as the first bundle again.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: December 18, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

It seems like people are just restating the same thing over and over now. I think Dan knows what's wrong and has admitted as such. No need to keep hammering on it.

And, honestly, the talk of open sourcing really annoys me. As long as he's working on it, even though development has been a bit slow, why would he want to open source it? Open sourcing is not the end all solution to every development lull. I personally get asked if/when/why I'll open source my own game, and at some point it gets really freaking annoying. Try walking up to a writer and ask him to release everything he's written so far so the community can continue working on it... I bet he'd get quite annoyed as well. But for some reason it seems perfectly legit for a lot of people to ask a game maker to release everything he's worked hard on creating just so the community can run wild in it. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I really can't stand it when people request that a project still in development gets open sourced when the creator hasn't at all shown any interest in doing so. I guess that's just another entitlement issue...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: December 18, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »

Indeed, I skipped ten pages and this is still being talked about. I think he's aware of the situation now, and has a wealth of very understanding fans who just want to see problems in CC fixed. The indie bundle rep will not be hurt by this, but it will certainly help it if the CC bugs are addressed.

Great bundle guys! JMickle bought it for me, what a sweetheart! <3

Dragonmaw
« Reply #439 on: December 18, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »

Hello all, I'm still banned so I won't hang about and annoy anyone, but just wanted to pop in a bit of support for Revenge if anyone's having trouble.

The installers were broken for both windows and linux in 1.71 (doh) but now fixed in 1.72 and you can redownload from the original URL.

Some linux users have had keyboard trouble - that's dbus/SCIM apparently - zap it and it'll be ok. Lots of linux users have had OpenGL trouble - usually fixed by switching to use free open source drivers instead of proprietry ones (how about that!)

There are few people having audio issues on Windows but we've no idea what the problem is yet.

Nobody needs Java for the windows version btw, it's embedded.

We're keeping everyone updated on the Puppyblog on everything (feel free to ask questions there) and I reply to every email sent to us personally, which is why it takes so long - did 200 yesterday, got another 70 to go and it keeps going up.

@speeder - get the hell out of dodge, leave your debts behind and flee. Borrow the money to escape.
@Data - it can get like that in here but I was simply banned instead of being allowed to hold my ground Smiley l8rs!

Cas Smiley

You're banned? I must've missed something.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic