Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:17:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTile Quest (linear RPG)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Tile Quest (linear RPG)  (Read 9904 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »

alright so I had a small post that got pretty full and decided I should probably start a devlog

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=12378.0

so this is Tile Quest

premise:
a player travels through 8 levels of a linear dungeon to fight the boss monster. each spot it randomly chosen to be a monster,treasure, or potions.

the player has life, attack and potions. a potion heals you one HP. after killing an enemy you can purchase an upgrade or decide to travel to the next floor. going to the next floor heals you, so the main objective is to get as far as possible on the current floor then travel down and attempt the next one, saving potions for the big bad boss fight.

now the fun part. when you start a game you can do random, create or load. with create you can choose your dungeon type, 5 monsters and the boss. random does just that. and load opens up a dialog box, and you paste in the dungeon you want. dungeons are stored in a code like this "AA-AAAAA" so trading a level is as simple as sending messages. when ever you complete a dungeon you also get the code for that particular one.

I don't have a current build, as I added menus, so the current build doesn't get to the actual game, but the main game is all programmed I just need to add the flash and the MASSIVE amount of monsters.

and here are the monsters so far.

so let me know what you think. I will answer any questions. also I need some good dungeon music, and I don't know where to get it and I don't have the skills needed to make it, any ideas.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

Wonderful art! With strategic enough gameplay, I can see this become something amazing!

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 02:08:32 AM »

for music just ask around the forums i'm sure some of the great musicartists around here would love to help you out!

That game is looking really good it sort of reminds me of uh

Betrayal on the house on the hill it's a board game where you place random tiles, of course it's less linear since you're all linear is awesome (which it is!)

i think keeping it simple is a really great idea, i hope combat is fast and makes a lot of BANG BANG sounds

but yeah i really like the monster graphics i really wanna go against that yellow hydra-dolphin-elemental-slime thing!
can't wait to see playable build!
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »

Hahaha, nice. I could not be any more envious of your sprite work, I think.

Also, another idea you could use for the story generator thing: "rescue [person] from the clutches of the terrible [boss]!" Among other things.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

thanks everyone.

Monster King: I will have to ask about music. I checked out the betrayal game the website has an online demo. really cool. the combat is pretty quick, if you want it to be as soon as you hit attack both are attacked at same time. so in the first picture the player would do 4 to the worm, and the worm would do 5 to you. there is no animation on the guys though. it was way to hard. but they are covered with comic like Bangs and Pows.

I was working on the backgrounds for the different dungeons and its really hard to design such different screens where the NPCS don't blend in to much. I tried the volcano today. here is the graveyard one.  so here are two screens for entering a volcano dungeon, and a graveyard dungeon and also the gravyard backdrop.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »

This looks pretty neat, Jason. I like the monsters, and the idea seems alluring. I look forward to seeing more as this progresses.
tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »

This is looking amazingly addictive as a simply pick up & play game in lunch breaks at work and so on, any plans what platform your gonna release it on? I'd kill to get this on iPhone :-D
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 02:00:21 PM »

thanks guy. Ive been working on this a lot. got a few more monsters and a lot more art done.
the tutorial is almost done, so once thats done I should have a playable demo.

tim-bo-jay: right now I am using gamemaker. once I finish and put it out there I might think about porting it to flash or iphone. I am not really a programmer, and thats where the problem lies. I have no problem making all the art, its just the code I struggle with.

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »

tim-bo-jay: right now I am using gamemaker. once I finish and put it out there I might think about porting it to flash or iphone. I am not really a programmer, and thats where the problem lies. I have no problem making all the art, its just the code I struggle with.

Haha I know how you feel there dude, god I wish I could code. Anyway, can't wait to play the demo! :-D
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 03:05:53 PM »

Game looks awesome, can't wait to see (and hear) it!

Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:36 AM »

Can't wait to review this for IndieReview. Smiley
In any case, when you finish this, please drop me a PM so I know.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »

thanks guys. this will be slowing down a bit as I am now learning flashpunk. I went through my gml code, and basically figured out what I could cut, what can be simplified, and what I would need to build this in flash. so I have started on that. I have cut down my file size considerably and it will be nice for people to play this in browser across many platforms not just windows. I felt like i had kind of reached an apex with gamemaker so I will still use it for quick proofs of concept,but I think I will be attempting my hand at flash.

but I will finish the code I currently have so people can at least test the Gamemaker demo. that way I can get feedback as I move forward.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »

Amazing-looking simplicity.  Hand Any Key

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »

quick question guys.

this is a mockup of my game running at 3x its normal resolution. now my question is. if this was a flash game, would this smaller size bother you? it would be centered in your screen of course. but would this be okay?

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 01:48:53 PM »

i like that size, you should stick with that.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »

Looks perfect to me, I know a lot of people who would say go for 4x though.

hi
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »

It's okey, the only problem is the font though. A lot of people would want you to display the letters in higher rez

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 01:55:55 AM »

no dont have a higher rez font. keep it exactly the way it is i like games that have a tiny screen

tim-bo-jay
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »

no dont have a higher rez font. keep it exactly the way it is i like games that have a tiny screen

I agree, the retro visuals are a key element to the charm of the game. In truth the visuals won me over long before I even took the time to read up on the gameplay! Shallow I know Sad
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 08:25:26 PM »

I agree that you should keep the font the same resolution as the game. I really like it when games have one consistent resolution for everything.

As for size, I think 3x or 4x would work well for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic