Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:29:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFishbane - RELEASED AND OUT OH MY GOD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Fishbane - RELEASED AND OUT OH MY GOD  (Read 22414 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:09:50 PM »

JUST PLAY IT (FLASH)

slightly outdated title screen

In this game you play as the amazing FISHBANE,
a hero who fearlessly dons a diving suit in pursuit
of things such as amazing Golden Harpoons of
which there may be one or several. (Mysterious!)

I have already made pretty much everything, and the
game will be release soon enough and I'll let you know
when, because I know most people prefer playing games to
looking at pretty pictures. But these pictures are kind
of pretty, wouldn't you agree?

Oh, and there is a HARPOON for you to throw. You
are also able to use this harpoon as a climbing step.
And, obviously, you can ride these harpoons through
the air after they are thrown. This is no joke. You can
do this, because you are FISHBANE, and you are...
awesome.

NEW AS OF EARLY JULY 10 :::
BE AWESOME @ NEWGROUNDS
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:55:28 AM by Droqen » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:43:05 PM »

Lookin' good, Droqen. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »

I look forward to finding the Golden Harpoon(s) of which there may be one or several.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:00:16 AM »

I love your stuff Droquen, you know I do*, but this is really slow and his jump is tiny and I can see why you're doing it but controlling Fishbane currently feels awful. If he could jump a little higher (not high enough to clear a second block, but more than enough to jump onto harpoons) that would be Super. And those spikes, maybe they should be higher? meaner? A little bit thinner? At the moment it feels like "hey, I died, what? Oh, tiny spikes."

The game looks really cute, I love your description and the harpoon mechanic is going to be great, I know it. In my HEART. You can do it Droquen!  Beer!Hand Shake Right

*Well, maybe you don't, but Probability Zero? Played it daily for about a month.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

Could you make it so you can move in the direction of the harpoon while riding it?
And could you make it so you have to fall on spikes to die, and walking into them just blocks you?
If you stick a harpoon into a laser wall at point blank range, the laser wall flashes with the disappearing harpoon.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:34:45 AM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »

Ooh! Feedback! Thanks.
Also I don't know whether or not I was aware of how much you liked Probability 0, Gainsworthy, but I'm glad you liked it that much :3
I still have to make it or a sequel to it in Flash.

~

In regards to his jump, I could make it higher but making it even a few pixels higher at max height would allow you to climb up 3 tiles instead of just 2 -- and I'd rather keep it sort of clear that ascending three tiles is impossible (What I mean is it's not too tough to climb up two tiles, but climbing three tiles is clearly impossible - so nobody will struggle to try and do that).

This level is really not the ideal beginner's level either; I'll get a different version up that eases you into the harpoon controls a bit better before considering messing up the controls too much!

It takes some practice to be able to do all of the harpoon maneuvers, but it's not hard once you figure out the timing.

~

Is it really that slow? o:

~

In regards to the spikes, those are great ideas and I'll be doing that right away!

I just hope harpoon-riding through spikes will work out to seem alright.

~

Move in the same direction as the harpoon?

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 01:47:16 PM »

If you make the spike sprite bigger but keep the hitbox the same, riding over spikes won't be affected.
Personally I don't mind the small jump.

Move in same direction of harpoon: When you are riding it, you can walk forward (you can walk off the front end). It feels weird only being able to move in one direction while riding.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 08:26:05 PM »

I don't want to let the player get ahead of the harpoon, or to be able to move faster than the speed of light FISHBANE (which is 1).
I understand that it feels sort of weird, but it's somewhat necessary to keep most things working. I'll play with letting the player walk forward and off the front (during motion), I guess.

Also, I made two different kinds of spikes:

1. Re-sprited the basic sprites and made them kill only when you fall on them (think Spelunky).

2. Added deadly glowy field of death that kills you on contact (function same as old spikes, fancy new animated sprite, deactivated by buttons which you haven't seen in action yet)

Also there's some good progress being made. Fishbane is still 'pending approval' on flashgamelicense and I've already made a 'quest chooser' screen and a fancy victory screen with scores and everything!

I guess I shouldn't be posting updated versions but I probably will soon enough anyway. If you really want to get a slightly better look, Fishbane on FGL is here but you need an account and all that crap.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 08:30:30 PM by Droqen » Logged

offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »

hello, tigs.
say 'hello' to the nice people, fishbane.

huh. well then.
so, gears are turning! release is

i am droqen's pal, and i have been helping him with this game. times we've spent in front of our computers over the last two weeks have been great bursts of fruitful creativity. my contributions involve yelling a lot. occasionally, what i express comes out as equally constructive towards the game's development as it is loud and distracting. besides that, i've done a little bit of conceptual work and level design, but the game itself (art, code, music) is pretty much a one man show.

nonetheless i have been party to what i feel has been some really interesting thought and discussion, and i figured i'd share some of it with you. this being a devlog, i hope my digressions don't bother you too much. i don't have a blog of my own, so please excuse me if i get a little bit livejournal.com here.

these are the things that i personally have learned for better or worse, helping droqen out. maybe they are topics you've already developed an opinion on, but this is how i see things. in relation to fishbane, anyway.

on the ground level, iterative design is stupid! polishing and retreading is a waste of time. it's much better, much smarter to just learn your lessons and tear everything apart. having a low overhead between concept and final result in fishbane's development means that we've been able to keep the creative flow instead of letting things stagnate.

iteration really isn't stupid though. while we've dismissed many ideas, and thrown away probably half as many levels as we've built, what we kept has been carefully maintained. as exciting as the rush to produce new fun ideas is, stepping back and carefully planning in sequence gives way to great ideas. the most interesting enemy in fishbane was a result of this approach.

coins are stupid! bananas, music notes, whatever. collectibles are just a distraction from what matters, and a lazy way to pad a game. playing to accumulate is not a healthy kind of behaviour.

except, they aren't stupid, and neither is score. in say, pac man, lode runner, and super mario bros, they served the purpose of encouraging an engagement with challenge and risk. while many games appear to have taken all the wrong lessons from the success of games with token-collecting, it's still a useful idea. if you're curious and willing, try ignoring fishbane's coin-equivalents when you play the game. try collecting them, even!

level design should be kind. while running playtests, we are managing to iron out the necessary amount of frustration from what we deem to be the appropriate places. this doesn't mean things won't be engaging, it means that most players shouldn't get stuck, or lost, or face an obstacle that seems hopelessly beyond their ability. it means that if a certain challenge is out of scale for where it takes place, we remove it.

level design should be evil. many of the things we've removed are going right back in. they'll be weighed and measured and put back in a place that is almost sadistic. the hardest levels will be optional, but we hope you don't chicken out. by requiring an observed knowledge of the game's inner workings through punishing difficulty, a much greater experience can be had, where the game still remains fair. on tigirc, kind tester payleaf had this to say about a section of one of my levels. incidentally, this level looks hilarious now, not only because it's kind of ugly, but because it can be broken in many ways. it is the second one i put together, and one of very few finished at the time. it was probably the most interesting level me or droqen had conceived, though since then droqen has made many levels that far out-strip it. anyway, payleaf does not approve. fair enough; that specific token had been placed after discovering a quirk that would let fishbane move to that position. i have since removed that part; i've taken that single frustrating moment for payleaf and made another entire level out of it. i hope he plays it!

enemies are your friends. i am so certain i am right about this, i'm not even going to make a counter-point! enemies in so many games are boring and static because they serve a single purpose. note that this is an issue of design, not programming. we don't need procedural ai to explore their use. enemy logic in fishbane is appropriately deterministic. at the end of the day, they are just obstacles, but hopefully interesting ones. when you explore the way enemies interact with their environment, and each other, when the player-character is made just another creature, the game becomes more involving. maybe you don't want to be collecting stuff. maybe you don't want to be killing your enemies. after all, that harpoon may be good for killing other dudes, but you can still put your own eye out with it.

that's all i got, for now.
you can expect to play fishbane soon! the exact release details are up to the will of potential sponsors.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:53:15 AM »

FISHBAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE!! YOU WILL BE THE BANE OF MY FISHISTENCE!

.. made sense before I wrote it. I like this game :D

Kevin
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 06:14:29 AM »

Droqen, my interest, as they say, has piqued. As I'm stuck at work all day with nothing but my laptop and tablet, I present to you the following:

Godspeed, little harpoon man. Godspeed.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »

oh god
the fan art
before it's even released <3
Kevin that's awesome :DDD

edits : I DIDN'T EVEN SEE THE FACE THE FIRST TIME  My Word! Kiss

~

offal, thanks so much for your write-up; it's really awesome too ^^

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »

This is looking pretty good, I'll go head over to Flash Game License and check it out.
PaleFox
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 08:52:37 PM »

Really like the game, apart from a few levels as has been said. Totally dig the win screen, though.

So I drew a little thing.

Click it for full size.
offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »

hey payleaf, i hoped you'd see this.

your feedback was great, and as i mentioned, that stuff has since been sorted out. there is an entire hard-difficulty level (not in the current FGL version i think) that's based on that little bit. always nice to have a third opinion.

also, nice work on the fan art guys! droqen is pretty good with the whole enigmatic character design thing! =)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 04:27:20 PM by offal » Logged
CPW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »

To prove my fanitude of this:

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »

oh man

Oh man

This is great, CPW <3

Such an amazing expansion upon the already-present style/feeling/shape of fishbane. And the shading in some places is pretty fantastic.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 12:18:58 PM »

Though it's not strictly development, I'm going to be updating on how sponsoring goes.

Currently I've thrown some emails at some sponsors, but I don't think I've been doing it right. I'm going to be spreading the trailer around some more, and then sending out more emails. And more and more and moooorrre Evil

But, yeah. This isn't going as smoothly as I thought it might! Very disappointing!

):

If you feel like you can help in any way: contact me or post here. Faster I get it sponsored, the faster I can

1. get the game out to the lovely people who want to play it!

2. get to work on my next game!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 12:39:41 PM »

have you looked into doing ad supported vs sponsoring?

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »

From everything I've heard, ad revenue is... pennies, compared to sponsoring / licensing.

Otherwise I would seriously consider it! [I don't really know at all how flash portals afford to pay what they do for some games]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic