Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:15:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Crate Box
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Super Crate Box  (Read 36275 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »

"You are going to play this, give feedback, play some more. beep boop"
SUPER CRATE BOX

DOWNLOAD LATEST
old v1

So I am making this arcade game. I've put a lot of design in it, and now it is time for people to test. Some of you might've played it, but most not I guess.

gamepad is the best way to play, press o to switch configuration, might be nicer for you
otherwise: z + x + arrow keys
d or button 4 changes difficulty, hard is where it's supposed to be
r to restart

Gameplay: Collect crates for score, every crate gives you a new weapon you need to use. Enemies that fall through the bottom come back angry at the top.

-Kind of a steep difficulty curve still right now, but no worries, there will be content and all to work on that!
-Only the first level is a proper one, play it for full experience.

how to play:

thanks, and tell all your friends!

-JW
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:28:45 AM by jwaap » Logged

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »

My first thought: "Hm, Mario Bros without co-op and with guns?"

My second thought: "Hey, this is really good!"

(It'd still be better with co-op, of course, but that's a given.)

THINGS WHICH WERE RAD:
 - Weapon variety! (And the fact that the goal - 'collect crates!' - forces you to experience said variety, LIKE IT OR NOT.)
 - Randomly chosen player-sprites! (I like the robot.)

THINGS WHICH WERE UNFORTUNATE:
 - Getting crates that land near the top-center (in the 'proper level') is really tricky - enemies fall so quickly that they can land on you without enough time to react.
 - The katana, shotgun, and grenade launcher all seem really weak; weaker than the pistol(s), even. The katana and shotgun because they're so terribly short-ranged (in a game where a single brush means instant death), and the grenade launcher because it's practically impossible to hit anything with it. (That arc means it'll only hit things right next to you, or things most of the screen away.)

THINGS WHICH WERE ODD:
 - The disc-thrower can kill you; no other weapon, not even the explosive ones, can. I'm not complaining, it's the sort of funny-painful death I expect from a game like this, it just seemed inconsistent.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »

Just played for an hour and my best was only 28. Love this game. Once I learned how to play, most of my deaths came from self-decapitation via disc gun. close second was being stuck with c4 and having too many floaty things to deal with.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:41:52 PM »

I really like this game. However I only play it muted, due to the sound effects being a bit too harsh.

If you want, I can make up a SFX pack for you. You can try it out, say what works what doesn't etc.. I think it would make the gameplay a lot more enjoyable if the sound of the gun wasn't so rough sounding.

Other than that, pretty good feedback has been given there and I really look forward to playing the crap out of this game tomorrow.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:24:41 PM »

Thanks guys!

My first thought: "Hm, Mario Bros without co-op and with guns?"

My second thought: "Hey, this is really good!"

(It'd still be better with co-op, of course, but that's a given.)

THINGS WHICH WERE RAD:
 - Weapon variety! (And the fact that the goal - 'collect crates!' - forces you to experience said variety, LIKE IT OR NOT.)
 - Randomly chosen player-sprites! (I like the robot.)

THINGS WHICH WERE UNFORTUNATE:
 - Getting crates that land near the top-center (in the 'proper level') is really tricky - enemies fall so quickly that they can land on you without enough time to react.
 - The katana, shotgun, and grenade launcher all seem really weak; weaker than the pistol(s), even. The katana and shotgun because they're so terribly short-ranged (in a game where a single brush means instant death), and the grenade launcher because it's practically impossible to hit anything with it. (That arc means it'll only hit things right next to you, or things most of the screen away.)

THINGS WHICH WERE ODD:
 - The disc-thrower can kill you; no other weapon, not even the explosive ones, can. I'm not complaining, it's the sort of funny-painful death I expect from a game like this, it just seemed inconsistent.

There will be coop! I've been testing it a bit, and it sort of works so far. Smiley

I like the robot too.
Crates don't spawn too close to the top center. I think working yourself up to the top sometimes is a nice short-term challenge for the players. It's ALWAYS possible. But it's a good suggestion, maybe I'll widen the non-spawn zone for easier modes.
Play a bit more, you'll see that all weapons (except for the dual pistols) really deserve being there. Grenade launcher is harder to aim, but has higher rate of fire then bazooka. Just keep your distance from the thing you want to shoot.
Katana actually turns big enemies, so you can hold your ground after slashing them once.
Discgun (and some other "pro weapons", like flamer, who have downsides(no jumping when on flames) will all be explained ingame! Hard to use, but disc gun actually proves to be very usefull in the highest difficulty.

Thanks for the good feedback! I'm hoping for more in the future. Smiley

Just played for an hour and my best was only 28. Love this game. Once I learned how to play, most of my deaths came from self-decapitation via disc gun. close second was being stuck with c4 and having too many floaty things to deal with.

Thanks! C4 is tricky to use, but in the end can prove to be one of the best weapons. Disc gun is a nasty thing, but I won't take it out. Smiley Keeps gameplay exciting, and makes people think before firing their new weapon.

I really like this game. However I only play it muted, due to the sound effects being a bit too harsh.

If you want, I can make up a SFX pack for you. You can try it out, say what works what doesn't etc.. I think it would make the gameplay a lot more enjoyable if the sound of the gun wasn't so rough sounding.

Other than that, pretty good feedback has been given there and I really look forward to playing the crap out of this game tomorrow.

Hoping for more feedback after you've played the crap out of it, will be useful. Smiley
About the sfx; I'm going for a sort of realistic/rough 8-bit thing here, and I agree it has quite a bit of noise. But with some nice chiptunes (I'm hoping to trick jabberwock) it will probably come together. If not, I'll send you a message.

merci again everyone.

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:51:42 PM »

Nice.
Things that maybe should be improved:
-Crocodile? player is hard to tell apart from the zombies
-Dual pistols should be more effective
-Most of the time the giant zombies are completely ineffective, unless you have a lame gun like dual pistols, in which case they're almost impossible to kill
-I'm not sure if this is what you're going for, but different weapons had ridiculously different levels of effectiveness
deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »

What would be even cooler would be randomly generated weapons (think borderlands).
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

I linked the game to a friend, and he discovered what I'm assuming is a debug tool - Pressing space changes your weapon!

This seems incorrect.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:11:24 AM »

Just had a quick go on this and It's really fun. I like the art - simple but colourful Smiley

However, it would be awesome if you could shoot upwards or downwards - you'd be able to jump over enemies and take em out.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »

merci beaucoup tout le monde

Nice.
Things that maybe should be improved:
-Crocodile? player is hard to tell apart from the zombies
-Dual pistols should be more effective
-Most of the time the giant zombies are completely ineffective, unless you have a lame gun like dual pistols, in which case they're almost impossible to kill
-I'm not sure if this is what you're going for, but different weapons had ridiculously different levels of effectiveness

good one, skins will be pickable but I'll change his color probably.
-why? I'm deliberately stressing the player with those, don't think it breaks the game in any way
-?
-yeah, but you're forced to use all of them so I don't need to balance

I linked the game to a friend, and he discovered what I'm assuming is a debug tool - Pressing space changes your weapon!

This seems incorrect.
thanks, I'll take it out next build!

Just had a quick go on this and It's really fun. I like the art - simple but colourful Smiley

However, it would be awesome if you could shoot upwards or downwards - you'd be able to jump over enemies and take em out.
i've thought about that at the start, and designed stuff to be played with left/right shooting only. this allows me to really determine how stuff has to be used. and some weapons are more/less effective in different situations since they have gravity

thanks again everybody!

Mr. Yapper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »

I think I'm addicted to this. I've been playing in my breaks in between revision. It would be awesome to play on a game boy or something handheld, instead of using a keyboard. I've been playing Mario Bros with my friend at school with a link cable (I know, not exactly the height of coolness) and this game would be awesome for that kind of thing  Smiley
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »

All this needs is loud music and it's a perfect game.  Perfect.

PS: 108 with the crocodile.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 06:57:24 PM by JR Hill » Logged

hi
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »

I tried playing but my arrow keys dont seem to work, I tried using a gamepad with joy2key, couldnt mvoe either. I could switch weapons though. Pressing o didnt work either.

Looks really cool though Smiley

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »

Hey could you make it save best scores for each difficulty individually?

And maybe an online readerboard?  lol

hi
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

Very addicting...  Hand Any KeyEpileptic I couldn't get more than like 8 or 9 crates, but still very fun. Smiley

Quote from: JR Hill
And maybe an online readerboard?  lol

I agree, that'd be a nice feature... I dunno what you're using to make this, but I was able to add leaderboards into my game from last Ludum Dare pretty easily with C++ and MySQL (you do need a web host though...).

jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »

Oh man, this game's pretty solid. While some weapons are obviously better at slaughtering than others, it never bothered me since you shouldn't be holding onto any weapon for more than a couple seconds anyway. Besides, that's part of the challenge: figuring out how to get to your next crate with the slow-to-reload Bazooka or comparatively weak Shotgun.

What do you think about the option of carrying two weapons at once? You could switch between them and ditch your currently equipped weapon when you touch a crate, but carrying two weapons at a time could come at the cost of speed and jump height. You'd probably have to tone down a weapon like the Minigun or Revolver - or make them exceptionally heavy - to make a two-weapon system not a complete cakewalk. As it is, though, the game works as a straight-up arcade shooter pew pew

and a leaderboard is a necessity

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »

I tried playing but my arrow keys dont seem to work, I tried using a gamepad with joy2key, couldnt mvoe either. I could switch weapons though. Pressing o didnt work either.

Looks really cool though Smiley

you don't need joy2key, the game has built in gamepad support!
that might fix it?

seperate scores and online highscores for sure in the future!

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 07:53:14 PM »

More armchair design:

The more enemies that are on the screen, the more violently the background twitches/scrolls/etc. (At least on SMFT)
Keep track of time spent alive?  Meaning some could play for survival instead of crates.
Keep track of best kills per game?  Meaning some could play for kills instead of crates.
Use music that sounds like this:

hi
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 01:00:58 AM »

btw:

yeah i'm a big fan of this game and i think my best is now around 140.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »

Yeah I'm addicted too, I've been playing SMFT mostly now but can't get much more than 20 crates.

I'd offer to make some music for it but I lost my music makin software lol.

hi
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic