Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:02:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOne Curious Nightfall Devlog
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: One Curious Nightfall Devlog  (Read 6044 times)
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:04:35 AM »

May 11, 2010

Introduction:

I started this project November 2009 and decided that it would be a good idea to create a devlog as a way to keep track of my progress.  I plan on adding mock-up screenshots and a trailer as soon as I am able to do so.

Story Synopsis:  A young girl comes across a magical pouch dropped by a messenger bird.  The pouch changes the surrounding landscape to an almost direct pathway to this city.  Her goal is to return the pouch to the Bird King.  It takes place in late fall/early winter.

Gameplay:  One Curious Nightfall is a platformer with HD pixel graphics and extremely smooth animation.  There are no enemies and all the player has to do is get from the beginning to the end.  Basically, it is an interactive short film.
There are a total of 28 screens worth of gameplay.  Each screen has its own set of unique graphical elements.

Main Character

She has no name in the story.  But her "working title" so to speak is Pixi.  

Animation Checklist

Pixi
o   Climbing onto Ledge - 30 frames
o   Crawling - 28 frames
o   Crouching - 16 frames
o   Jumping Up - 22 frames
o   Pick Up Object - 40 frames
o   Running - 16 frames
o   Running ¾ front  - 16 frames
o   Running ¾ back   - 16 frames
o   Standing ¾ views - 2 frames
o   Swinging - 25 frames
o   Lying down - 20 frames
o   Waiting (main) - 1 frame
o   Waiting (version 1) - 31 frames
o   Waiting (version 2) - 25 frames
o   Walking - 31 frames

As you can see, I am almost finished animating her. [update:  I'm done.]

I will start on the checklist for other animations (background characters/Special FX) as soon as I start animating them.
I will do the same with the backgrounds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 12, 2010

o     Jumping animation finished today
o     Running animation clean-up started

More previews:

Crouching (1 of 16 frames)           Jumping (1 of 22 frames)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 13, 2010

Preliminary work

This was the first sprite I created for this project, to test out the size and level of detail I wanted.  There were two reasons I didn't like this old design.  First, I didn't like any part of the head, and that is the most important part.  Second, I thought a skirt would be more interesting to animate than pants.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 14, 2010

o     Finished running animation today

May 17, 2010

o     Finished running 3/4 back animation today

This has to be the largest sprite ever created.  The size is 572x981 pixels.  For comparison's sake, Ragna's standing sprite from Blazblue is something like 240x400 pixels (if my screenshot is correct).  Yeah, it's huge.

May 18, 2010

o     Finished lying down animation today

May 19, 2010

o     Finished standing ¾ views today
o     Got started on running ¾ front, my last animation.

May 22, 2010

o     After 6 months of tedious work, all of the 254 frames of animation for my main character are complete!  Now it's time to start on the backgrounds!

May 25, 2010

o     So far two out of 32 backgrounds are finished.  I hope to finish 2 a day starting now.

May 30, 2010

I've spent the last few days building a game engine (instead of making more graphics).  

Currently everything I need is in place and working well.  The jumping and ducking are a little buggy, but it's not game-breaking and besides, I don't know how to fix them.  I guess they'll be left how they are.  

Backgrounds

June 03, 2010

The game engine is basically finished and I've been designing levels.  

June 10, 2010

I've been tweaking the game engine, finishing up level designs, and making artwork for the opening sequence.

June 13, 2010

I'm 2/3 finished with the opening sequence.  After this it's back to the backgrounds.  There are also a few minor bugs and design issues to work out.

June 14, 2010

Just finished the opening sequence.

June 19, 2010

Room 13 was completed a few days ago and room 14 was completed today.

June 20, 2010

Room 2 is finished.
I guess completing one room a day is more reasonable than completing two.  Maybe the backgrounds will be finished in 3 weeks?  That would be the earliest, probably.

June 21, 2010

Room 8 is finished.

June 23, 2010

Room 6 is finished.
Room 12 is finished.

June 24, 2010

Room 12 is finished.

June 26, 2010

Room 4 is finished.

June 28, 2010

Room 7 is finished.
I'll also be adding more polish to the existing rooms today.

July 1, 2010

Room 10 was finished two days ago and Room 15 was finished today.

July 2, 2010

Room 18 is finished.

July 4, 2010

Room 17 is finished.

July 7, 2010

Room 19 is finished.

July 9, 2010

Just finished room 21.

July 10, 2010

Completed room 23.  Also, I'm planning on making two more rooms, 33a and 35a.  I think they'll add to the experience.

July 13, 2010

-Finished room 24.
-Fixed some bugs.
-Polished some existing graphics.

July 14, 2010

Animated a duck.

July 20, 2010

Finished room 32, the most visually complicated room in the game.  There are several rooms that are long and have completely flat surfaces, and it is interesting thinking of how to make them each interesting to look at.  Every one of them is cooler than the previous one, and this is the last.  Oh, and it's the longest room too.

July 21, 2010

Room 33 is finished.  I though I'd mix it up a bit by making the room following the most complicated room, the simplest room.

July 26, 2010

Room 34 was finished yesterday and I finished room 35 today.  Only three to go.

July 29, 2010

Room 36 is finished today.

July 30, 2010

Room 37 is basically finished.

July 30, 2010

Room 38, the last room, is finally complete.  Now all I need to do is make the ending, which will probably take 1-2 weeks.

August 3, 2010

Ending
Panels:

Panels 13-15 were completed yesterday.

August 4, 2010

Panels 6-8 and 11 were finished today.

August 5, 2010

Panels 2, 4, and 9 were finished today.

August 7, 2010

Panel 5 is now finished.

August 10, 2010

Panels 1 and 3 are now finished.

August 11, 2010

Panels 10 and 12 are now finished.  And with that the game is pretty much complete!

September 7, 2010

Last animations to do:

Chicks walking around and pecking at the ground
   Mother hen crying
   Mother hen hugging chicks
   Castle door opening
   Cockatiel flying
   Cage falling
   Guard robot
   Guard robot deactivating
   Father cockatiel
    Father and son birds rubbing heads
   Hen and chicks waving goodbye
   Cockatiels waving goodbye

January 9, 2011

Yesterday I started fixing the color palette, which was horrendous before.  It should look much better when I'm finished.  So far, rooms 1 and 2 have been redone.

Rooms to recolor:

o  Room 0
o  Room 1
o  Room 2
o  Room 3
o  Room 4
o  Room 6
o  Room 7
o  Room 8
o  Room 9
o  Room 10
o  Room 12
o  Room 13
o  Room 14
o  Room 15
o  Room 17
o  Room 18
o  Room 19
o  Room 21
o  Room 24
o  Room 23
o  Room 32
o  Room 33
o  Room 34
o  Room 35
o  Room 36
o  Room 37
o  Room 38

January 20, 2011

I'm just not that happy with some of the gameplay elements right now...  They've been bothering me since their first iteration.  I hope that I will finally have something I'm happy to release soon.  I actually wrote myself a list of things I want to fix before I decide to move on to my next project.

January 22, 2011

Only seven rooms to go!

January 24, 2011

Four rooms left.

January 30, 2011

Room recoloring complete.  I may or may not recolor a few of the sprites as well.

February 3, 2011

Minor tweaks.  Why does making games take so long?  It's not even a complicated game...

February 6, 2011

I just fixed the worst bug in the game!  How incredibly satisfying!  How incredibly satisfying indeed.

February 25, 2011

Well, I'm done with the game.  When the music is completely finished, it will be ready to be released.  However, I don't have any precise release date in mind.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:41:14 PM by pepprsam » Logged
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »

Here is my first screenshot taken from the working game!

The game is still in development, with expected completion within two months.
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »

wow, really cool style there, like the good 70s/80s animated films.
UnemployedVillain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »

I really want to see some videos or animated gifs of these animations. They sound insane! I mean, 30 frames for walking? The smoothest animated 2d game I've seen is Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike and even that had <10 animations per action
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »

Once I have enough backgrounds finished, I'll make a short trailer.  Hopefully that will be soon (within a few weeks).

edit:  I probably won't have a trailer for a while.  I'm too busy trying to finish the graphics  Sad
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:14:32 PM by pepprsam » Logged
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »

Today my work on the game is finished (programming and graphics).  All I need now is for the composer to finish up the music, and One Curious Nightfall will be ready for release! Those 9 months spent laboriously placing each pixel has really paid off.  I'm extremely excited to be almost ready to show my hard work to the world.  

edit:  It will actually be some time before release.

Random Statistics:

o Total development time
   - 9 months
        - Started November 2009
   - All graphics finished:  August 11, 2010
o Total graphical elements:  1394
   - Pixi’s frame count (gameplay) -  319
   - Additional Animated sprite frames - 721
   - Unanimated sprites - 58
   - Background elements - 296
o Software Used (in order of time spent using them)
   - Photoshop CS3
   - Animation:Master V15.0
   - Game Maker 8 pro
   - GraphicsGale Free Edition
   - MS Paint
   - Vue 8 Infinite PLE
   - After Effects CS3
o Game Specs
        - Screen resolution:  1280 x 720
        - Windowed only
        - Frame rate:  30 fps

Edit:  It actually took 18 months, but quite a few of them were spent not working on this project.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:01:06 PM by pepprsam » Logged
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »

It should be ready in about a month.  So, here are some more screenshots of what the game looks like (everything is now subject to change).

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:41:30 PM by pepprsam » Logged
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

Oh wow this looks absolutely wonderful.

You're totally teasing us with those frame counts in your animations though. They must look really nice. Looking forward to seeing this in motion. I love the style.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »

Wow I love the style really great work so far!  I can't wait to see the trailer for this.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »

I love the look of this. Those animations do sound crazy!
Also, I have a special appreciation for girls wearing hats*, so kudos for that as well.

*Yes, I do understand how uncomfortably that probably read. And it might be better not to ask, if only because the explanation would be distractingly lengthy.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:27:29 PM by Machine Saint » Logged

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 07:02:41 AM »

This looks absolutely fantastic. I'm also itching for a trailer! Evil
increpare
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »

I think this looks really interesting - best of luck on the final stretch...
pepprsam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »

One Curious Nightfall is finally done, and will be releasing soon.  To celebrate, here is one of the sprites that didn't make it into the game (in convenient sheet format).

Pick up:
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic