Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:39:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Alternative level/room editor(s) for Game Maker ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alternative level/room editor(s) for Game Maker ?  (Read 11994 times)
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »

Hi there,

I'm finally trying something a bit more serious in Game Maker, with big levels. A couple of minutes were enough to realize that the built-in room editor is a joke. It does't seem to be possible to select a whole bunch of tiles or objects and move them together somewhere else in the room.

Is it possible to create rooms/levels with an external editor?
If so, how to import the result in Game Maker 8?
Can anyone recommend a solid 2d/map/tile/level editor?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:20:23 PM by Ninomojo » Logged

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:49:39 PM »

This one looks interesting: http://ogmoeditor.com/
But I have no idea how to get XML files into Game Maker.. If anyone can point me somewhere it'd be much appreciated.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:18:01 PM »

Your only choice would be to write code to read the XML file and create objects.  I haven't tried Game Maker 8, but as far as I know this is the case in other versions.
Evilish
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »

GM has no XML handling.
You can either write your own parser, or see if someone has made one already (perhaps even a wrap of tinyxml)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »

Haven't tried it... But maybe this?

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »

Thank you! This looks like what I need.

As I still have never touched anything file related in Game Maker. Can anyone point me to a tutorial explaining how to load data from files and set up rooms using them? I'm not finding anything like this.

Thanks a lot!

Shiny
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »

I wrote an XML parser in GML a while back too.
It's far more advanced than Databot's (which is just a minor edit of Ghostkeeper's hack-ish scripts).

An example is included that should help you get started (if you choose to use it).

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=462882
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 01:52:45 PM »

A couple of minutes were enough to realize that the built-in room editor is a joke.

Surely you meant Game Maker in general.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »

Surely, because it's long since proven that Game Maker can't make good games.  Shrug

ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »

A couple of minutes were enough to realize that the built-in room editor is a joke.

Man, cut it out. Think before you post, honestly. Have a little respect for Ninomojo and his thread.

It's far more advanced than Databot's (which is just a minor edit of Ghostkeeper's hack-ish scripts).

An example is included that should help you get started (if you choose to use it).

Wow excellent. I passed this on to Matt to post on the Ogmo Editor forums, since it didn't seem to be getting the respect it deservers over that the GMC. There were a few folks who were wondering how to load their Ogmo Editor levels into Game Maker, so I hope you don't mind me referring them to your scripts.

Cheers!
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

Man, cut it out. Think before you post, honestly. Have a little respect for Ninomojo and his thread.

Heaven forbid that someone should poke fun at something in a relevant thread. Cheesy

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
ChevyRay
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »

It might've kind of been sort of funny the first time, but you repeat your grievances of Game Maker too often and it just gets tiring and stops being a joke. Shrug

I could go into this thread and say, "Man, C# is terrible, don't use it." But I don't, because it'd be dumb, and not really funny.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »

What, I do it that much? I didn't think anybody remembered the last time I did. Who, Me?

I now see the error of my ways, and for this I thank you. I shall focus my ranting on another tool.

ChevyRay
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »

It's all cool, it's not like you're the next Adam Coate or anything. It can just be a bit of a downer for folks who use Game Maker and are just getting the hang of learning to make games, that's all.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »

I suppose it can be. When I skimmed over OP's post I read 'serious', so I assumed that he was into game development enough to be secure with his tool of choice. Either way, I now agree that that was uncalled for and I shall strive to be more polite in the future!

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 06:56:20 PM »

I didn't take it the wrong way anyway. I do it all the time to Apple fanboys, who annoy the living hell out of me.Smiley

I know that Game Maker is horrible on many levels. But you have to consider what it enables. I come from Blitz Basic, and even-though it's no C++, it's a lot more low level than Game Maker, and at some point I got tired of having to program everything and never focusing on designing an actual game. Game Maker forces me to go around some of its fuckery, but at least when I have an idea it can be made playable in a matter of MINUTES. For 20 dollars.

So there's no real sense dismissing it, whether you're right or not. Smiley

Posted by: Shiny

That's awesome thanks, I saw your post on Ogmo's forum. Only problem is, your dropbox link seems to be down?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic